In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Security Camera System...

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in General Discussion
...looking at Arlo system...any input?...has four cameras...and comes with net gear???.. Help!

Comments

• 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i just set up a nightowl system for my fil, i like it very much, the night vision is outstanding , 1tb hd and internet capable
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan
    i just set up a nightowl system for my fil, i like it very much, the night vision is outstanding , 1tb hd and internet capable
    Who makes it?...Where did you get it?...What is it?
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Dropcam Pros and Nestcams (indoor and outdoor). Nest bought Dropcam and continued the line of Security Cameras.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I have the Arlo system. Like it. Works.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My neighbor ms. Bernadett (her 1st name) (a wonderful smart and strong American African originally from Jamaica - 85 yrs old) asked me to driver around to look at lower priced home security camera systems.

She had done some research on her laptop and had a few places to check.

She bought the system from harbor freight 4 cameras (wireless) one box / station that controls and records things - one monotor...

Pretty cheap - they advertise it heavily.

One that covers her porch and front door
    One that covers her patio and back door
    One that covers the her driveway and chain link fence gate
    One that point towards my driveway

It's a pretty simple system - no night vision

Let's her keep an eye on things from her recliner

Pretty easy to hook up

Worth investigating

Mike
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    My neighbor ms. Bernadett (her 1st name) (a wonderful smart and strong American African originally from Jamaica - 85 yrs old) asked me to driver around to look at lower priced home security camera systems.

She had done some research on her laptop and had a few places to check.

She bought the system from harbor freight 4 cameras (wireless) one box / station that controls and records things - one monotor...

Pretty cheap - they advertise it heavily.

One that covers her porch and front door
    One that covers her patio and back door
    One that covers the her driveway and chain link fence gate
    One that point towards my driveway

It's a pretty simple system - no night vision

Let's her keep an eye on things from her recliner

Pretty easy to hook up

Worth investigating

Mike

i have 1 of 3 of their cameras left that has managed to survive 2 years, they started flashing like a strobe light 6 months in, they are absolutely not weather proof in the slightest, i had them mounted well under my soffit overhang , tucked up there pretty good, first one went during a storm second one just went black one day

my fil had 4 of them, same result, even under his carport going into his garage
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes...

I saw several reviews that showed similar complaints about the cameras.

I covered them (except for the lens itself) with a thin layer of clear marine grade silicon caulk...

Then took some heat sensitive plastic - layed it in overlapping pieces (except for the lens itself) and used a heat gun to shrink it and seal it...

Also did a final finish with flat black high heat resistant spray paint t...

All of which I had laying around in the garage.

And like you stated they are all sheltered from the elements somewhat where and how I set them up.

If they last a few years -great.

If not they were cheap - we used a good coupon - and got a free multimeter...

Let me know what you think - a friend who uses similar cameras and cheap game cameras does this to all his gear.

He even rhino lines it - the exterior surfaces...

Mike
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Build a few 6" x6" lexan fronted boxes/enclosures.
    Those cheepo cameras will last a lot longer.
    U need to provide Louvers on the back,close to wall,so they don't fog up.
    I have built more than a few and they have been working for years.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    I use Dropcam Pros and Nestcams (indoor and outdoor). Nest bought Dropcam and continued the line of Security Cameras.

You have to pay monthly to record with those. Get an NVR with IR Cameras at least 2 MP. I'm researching for new office and warehouse. Have not decided on a model yet.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    I use Dropcam Pros and Nestcams (indoor and outdoor). Nest bought Dropcam and continued the line of Security Cameras.You have to pay monthly to record with those. Get an NVR with IR Cameras at least 2 MP. I'm researching for new office and warehouse. Have not decided on a model yet.Yep, you do, but the 10 day Cloud storage with discounts for more than one camera along with the Nest App and its features is worth it to me and the camera image, even in absolute dark, is superior in my opinion. Much better than any of the Walmart/Sam's/Costco systems I looked at. I prefer the off premises storage.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

edited November -1
    I use Dropcam Pros and Nestcams (indoor and outdoor). Nest bought Dropcam and continued the line of Security Cameras.You have to pay monthly to record with those. Get an NVR with IR Cameras at least 2 MP. I'm researching for new office and warehouse. Have not decided on a model yet.Yep, you do, but the 10 day Cloud storage with discounts for more than one camera along with the Nest App and its features is worth it to me and the camera image, even in absolute dark, is superior in my opinion. Much better than any of the Walmart/Sam's/Costco systems I looked at. I prefer the off premises storage.

I'm looking at industrial systems anyway that are backed up to offsite storage.
  • nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FLIR FX - Here is a screen shot of my 4 cameras. I typically use the app. Buy the cameras online, used or new. Fleabay or other place [:D]

29422484274_be09d0a3ce_b.jpg

http://www.flir.com/flirfx/
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Build a few 6" x6" lexan fronted boxes/enclosures.
    Those cheepo cameras will last a lot longer.
    U need to provide Louvers on the back,close to wall,so they don't fog up.
    I have built more than a few and they have been working for years.

NEVER put glass, lexan, plastic wrap or even a fishbowl in front of any camera that has night vision; the LEDs reflect into the lens, making it impossible to see anything. Better to use IR floodlights mounted remotely.
    edited November -1

You have to pay monthly to record with those. Get an NVR with IR Cameras at least 2 MP. I'm researching for new office and warehouse. Have not decided on a model yet.
    When you do decide let me know!....I need outside door security...at least four cameras...recording time neede also , thanks...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad
    I have the Arlo system. Like it. Works.
    Which do you have?....how many cameras, and are they out doors? Thanks...
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a FOSCam that I am going to try for interior monitoring of our petsitter when we are out of town. I haven't received it yet, but a friend has a couple and they work for her. They work on your home wifi and there is an app to operate them from your phone.
    edited November -1

I'm looking at industrial systems anyway that are backed up to offsite storage.
    Just like the Flir that I have, cloud storage. They also have SD cards for storage.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nutfinn
    Just like the Flir that I have, cloud storage. They also have SD cards for storage.
    I like FLIR products we have one on the boat.
    edited November -1
    @pwillie - I have Five cams, Four of the eggs, outside. One powered inside, watching my safe.

Have been using them for well over a Year. Here in the Glorious NorthBest, weather is greatly variable. No problems. Batteries are costly, sort of, but we get most all Summer out of one set. Winter, we use Two sets per cam. So, around Three or Four sets of Four CR123 per camera, per Year.

Since I have Five (or less) cameras, off-site storage is FREE, for a Week.

I also have the "Ring" system at front Door/entry. Better resolution. Arlo eggs are 720p, inside is 1080, with audio.

Ring system is 1080, with pretty great microphone for listening, and a speaker as well.
  • Franz?Franz? Member Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 things come to mind with all this camera system talk.

1- turn the damn audio pickup off unless you are in the room with the camera. Video can be recorded with no problem. Audio recording, unless you are in the room with the camera is WIRETAPPING under Federal Law, and civil attorneys for criminals will be glad to teach you all about it.

2- Why the hell does a man with thousands of Dollars invested in guns, safes, holsters and other gun goodies go cheap on a CCTV system to protect his investment.

I've seen night shots from $300 camera systems of criminals 8 feet in front of the camera, and all you can tell from the picture is that the bad guy has a dark complection.
    edited November -1
    @pwillie - one of the nice things about the Arlo system is that the wireless cams facilitate reconfiguring the system on the fly. That is, you can have any number of perches for your cams, and have them arrayed one way for "Home" and a different way for "away" - just pull as many cameras as you wish off their place, and move them elsewhere.

I wonder if Arlo will send you notice if one of your (not cheap) cameras is taken and someone tries to add it to their system??

Don't try to have an egg cam behind glass for Night use, as the IR illumination is reflected and active all night, draining batteries and recording only a light/lens flare! Ask me how I know!

The motion detection of the Arlo system egg cams is nowhere as sensitive or "tuneable" as the cam on the Ring system.

The software with the Arlo system is adequate, but not as user friendly as that with the Ring system. Both systems are fairly easy to set up.
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This...
    quote:Originally posted by Franzc
    2 things come to mind with all this camera system talk.

1- turn the damn audio pickup off unless you are in the room with the camera. Video can be recorded with no problem. Audio recording, unless you are in the room with the camera is WIRETAPPING under Federal Law, and civil attorneys for criminals will be glad to teach you all about it.

2- Why the hell does a man with thousands of Dollars invested in guns, safes, holsters and other gun goodies go cheap on a CCTV system to protect his investment.

I've seen night shots from $300 camera systems of criminals 8 feet in front of the camera, and all you can tell from the picture is that the bad guy has a dark complection.
    "What is truth?'
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not so funny but it seems whenever a bank gets robbed around here they post the worst pics up and ask if anyone can identify them. Seems like BANKS of all places would have better cameras!
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    Not so funny but it seems whenever a bank gets robbed around here they post the worst pics up and ask if anyone can identify them. Seems like BANKS of all places would have better cameras!

Yep, I been working on the security industry over 20 years, I have seen some things [:)]