In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Deer hunt, good news/bad news!

wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
edited October 2016 in General Discussion
My Hunting partner ended up having to work leaving me on my own to hunt in the middle of nowhere! I can't find anyone to go with me, and I will be on my own in the high mountains. It's scary and stupid to Hunt alone in the middle of nowhere Nevada. You get hurt and your screwed!

The good new's, (Sort of) is that even though its still in the 90s here, they are calling for snow with lows being in the mid 20s, up there, meaning that the Deer will be migrating down to the Desert floor, where I would be right at home.

I'm adding more and more weight to my First Aid kit just in case!
There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'

Comments

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    Good luck. Tell someone when and where you will be,and what time to expect you back,and stick to it.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take some candy bars and have a good time. [:)]
  • AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a satphone.
  • wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AzAfshin
    Get a satphone.

I have one, but I don't think I want to sell any Body Organs to pay the Bill on it![;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    Good luck. Tell someone when and where you will be,and what time to expect you back,and stick to it.

Wife, Son's, Brother, they all know what General area that I will be in.

The problem is, that General area is pretty big!
  • sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always prefer to hunt alone.
    Personally, I make it a point to not get hurt.
    The middle of nowhere sounds like heaven to me.
    What was the problem with that Remington?
    Arrivederci gigi
  • 1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best wishes for a great hunt wiplash. It sounds like a religious experience to me.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck!
    Take a few cans of sardines, be careful, and enjoy your hunt!!
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure some people know what unit you will be hunting. Have a good compass and topo map. You can also get yourself a SPOT locater or Delorme InReach. Have fun and hunt safe.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No way would I go in alone, without someone knowing my EXACT location. I spent a night in the PA woods, because I made this mistake. Thank God my pop figured where I went and came up and found me. Got lost in a blinding snow storms with no one around and no compass, because i thought I would never get lost[;)] I was stupid, and so are you if you don't have a way of getting help asap when you need it. Please be safe my friend and make damn sure you got your 6 covered before leaving. Oakie
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice everybody. This is going to be one Hell of an adventure!

My Jeep XJ is loaded down heavier than it has ever been with Camping Supplies for just me, and I have been on a ton of Boy Scout camping trips and it was loaded for two! Hope the Tires hold up!

I have left Maps where I will be hunting with all of the people in my life that would actually come running and help if I don't show up or call within a week. There is supposed to be areas within a couple of miles that have Cell Phone reception so I'll be checking in every day if I can find them. If not, there should be other Hunters that I will get together with and have them keep an eye out on me.

I got burned on the Remington 721. I have been calling and looking for the dealer at Gun Shows here for awhile, and he is in hiding, so I picked up a Savage Axis in 308 and have it dialed in pretty well.

If I get lost or hurt, I will start off with trying the Cell phone followed up with a signal mirror, then a forest fire![;)] If that don't work and I haven't posted within on week, I'll be somewhere in the area of NF-080 or Twin Rivers Nv.

By the way, the biggest hurdle will be from going from the 90s for a high to the mid 40s, and lows in the mid 20s with a 30% chance of Snow! It's gonna be COLD!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only hunt on mountains where you have cell coverage. That can be a challenge in NM, probably worse in Nevada. Be CAREFUL!
  • ROY222ROY222 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toss a flair gun in the jeep.
    Good for sending a signal and making a fire.