In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Before hunter orange,,,

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
edited October 2016 in General Discussion
Before hunter orange;

Hunters and trappers of days gone use to practice this;
They would wear something with both fur and feathers. This would alert others that he was not an animal,as,'Fur and feathers,never go together' on an animal.

Comments

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    interesting I never heard that before

now some one would shoot you thinking thy just got bigfoot or some rare animal to mount
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    blaze orange was chosen because the human eye can perceive the wave length of red and orange better than any color, and can be seen in our peripheral vision better

deer have poor depth perception and must bob their head to see things 3 dimensional because they lack depth perception
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    I still have an old hunting coat that belonged to my great uncle. It is ca mid 1930's vintage. Heavy wool, red & black plaid where the red is quite dark. Our fluorescent orange of today sure shines bright in the thick woods! I would bet a lot of people have been saved from tragic accidents because of it![^]
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brookwood
    I still have an old hunting coat that belonged to my great uncle. It is ca mid 1930's vintage. Heavy wool, red & black plaid where the red is quite dark. Our fluorescent orange of today sure shines bright in the thick woods! I would bet a lot of people have been saved from tragic accidents because of it![^]

That is what I was going to say. My fathers old hunting coat was plaid Red and Black. He always made me wear Red when I first started hunting, with an orange hat. I still have his Jacket and am going to hang it on the wall at the cabin. It is a fond memory.[^]
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years ago my SIL left his pickup on the side of the road when he went deer hunting. He came back to find that another hunter had put 2 rifled slugs into the cap. The guy was just standing there, to apologize & offer to pay for the cap; apparently, he mistook the truck for a deer.

Some folks are beyond help.

Neal
  • jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now we have hunter education. Back when kids were taught by their dads. Stupid can't be cured. I think most people wounded or killed in Oregon shoot themselves.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before Hunter Orange
    We usually just wore "chore clothes" that smelled strongly of farm animals and such. Blue denim coats and overalls were VERY prominent although I favored olive drab. Most "hunting accidents" were at very close range and often involved loading/unloading within sight of house or vehicle.
    "Mistaken for game" didn't really show up before turkey hunting became popular.
    Truthfully, I see no excuse for mistaken ID when using a scope.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always thought Elmer Fudd was properly dressed for the time.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sharp lines and odd color in the woods stand out...
    Hence, the RED and BLACK PLAID hunting jackets of past hunting history.
    Earth tones and even BLUE show up naturally in the woods.
    Camouflage is meant to HIDE not show. So with the advent of CAMO came the need to be seen.
    Hunter ORANGE... Even Hunter Orange CAMO exists today.
  • penguinpenguin Member Posts: 596
    edited November -1
    In Pa. we wore Woolwich black and dark red plaid coats with a re bandana pinned to the back. Nice warm coats even in the rain but they absorbed every raindrop that hit them.
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    safety orange OR safety green is so effective, because of the wavelengths represented by the colors are not found in Nature... whether it is camo safety orange or solid safety orange, the color is unique.
    the vast majority of hunting accidents are caused by hunters swinging on game, covering another hunter in the process. and surprisingly the "shooter" is more likely a hunter that has NOT taken a HS course
  • wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    During my 40 years of hunting deer, birds and water fowl I have never worn anything orange or camouflaged.

Blue, red and black plaid wool hunting jacket for deer.

Old olive green canvas jacket for ducks.

Whatever the weather dictates for field birds.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wiz1997
    During my 40 years of hunting deer, birds and water fowl I have never worn anything orange or camouflaged.

Blue, red and black plaid wool hunting jacket for deer.

Old olive green canvas jacket for ducks.

Whatever the weather dictates for field birds.

In most states you would be in violation of the law for deer an upland birds.
    Most states require so many square inches and a hat of blaze orange and some require just a hat at the minimum.
    Good luck!
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i don't know of ANY states that doesn't require at least a hat containing blaze orange these days for upland hunting, and for deer hunting an upper outer garment and hat of either solid or camo blaze orange containing a minimum amount. the data speaks for itself when hunter orange is used, and the reduction of shooting accidents
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Red is not as good as it seems. In low light conditions it turns to a grey blob where Orange is still highly visible. I remember years ago watching what I thought was a deer coming out of the woods on a cloudy day an hr before sunset. I realized it was a man but his red coat wasn't red till he for under 75 yards. If he has been in the woods I dread of walking across a field his red wouldn't have helped much.