In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Policemen and Flashlights ??

MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in General Discussion
Why do police hold their flashlights fingers atop, while civilians hold them thumb on top, fingers under?

Comments

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    works better as an immediate action club
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep its easier to beat your face in with it that way.
  • WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    Everyone is going to the thumb switch on the end cap. It's tacti-cool! [:D]
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At one time, a Kel-Lite made a good club. Held that way, rested on shoulder, all you had to do was swing it over and down. Wasn't long before we were told not to hit anyone with it. But the habit remained of holding it that way. It's really easier.
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Chapman technique everytime.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite

I was in Subway yesterday picking up some lunch and the cashier, a black guy thought it would be clever to ask me if I had beaten anyone today. They took our big metal flashlights away years ago.
  • SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Was it because y'all were beating people with them?[:o)][:D]quote:Originally posted by shilowar

I was in Subway yesterday picking up some lunch and the cashier, a black guy thought it would be clever to ask me if I had beaten anyone today. They took our big metal flashlights away years ago.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wrangler
    Everyone is going to the thumb switch on the end cap. It's tacti-cool! [:D]
    They're actually much more practical.

Nothing like being in a really big hurry to light things up but you're busy rolling the barrel around in your hand trying to find the side where that little button is located.

End caps always remain in the same place, degraded fine motor skills or not.

quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Laugh and say, 'Nope, but the day's still young'. [:D]
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    The public didn't like cops hitting people with flashlights... leaving cops the option of shooting them instead...wait ...they don't like that either..............[xx(]
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have had a hard time not saying , have you looted or burned or sold any drugs today [}:)]

• Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    At one time, a Kel-Lite made a good club. Held that way, rested on shoulder, all you had to do was swing it over and down. Wasn't long before we were told not to hit anyone with it. But the habit remained of holding it that way. It's really easier.

The bulb in my old Kel-lite would blow every time I hit someone with it, so I got a Gonzales 245 sap.

Now I only use my Kel-lite on kittens and baby seals. [;)]
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty

The bulb in my old Kel-lite would blow every time I hit someone with it, so I got a Gonzales 245 sap.

[:D][:D]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Should have responded, "The day isn't over yet"
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dakotashooter2
    The public didn't like cops hitting people with flashlights... leaving cops the option of shooting them instead...wait ...they don't like that either..............[xx(]

Around here they used to use their old Motorola radios as well. There was a case here some 25 years ago where some cop trashed a drunk who was caught urinating in public.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1001 uses...[:o)]
  • KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maglites hit harder with alkaline batteries.....or so I've heard [}:)]
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tonight go outside in the dark with a flashlight, your dog or kid or whatever. Shine the light on the dog or kid or wife while holding the light low civilian style. Notice the big shadow behind them that is not illuminated and in which something unseen could be lurking. Now shift the flashlight up to your shoulder and notice how the shadow shrunk and the object is better illuminated.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by truthful
    Tonight go outside in the dark with a flashlight, your dog or kid or whatever. Shine the light on the dog or kid or wife while holding the light low civilian style. Notice the big shadow behind them that is not illuminated and in which something unseen could be lurking. Now shift the flashlight up to your shoulder and notice how the shadow shrunk and the object is better illuminated.

Also is not part of it with a light in the bad guys face all he can shoot at is the light so get it away from your body.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    quote:Originally posted by truthful

Also is not part of it with a light in the bad guys face all he can shoot at is the light so get it away from your body.

Yea, but then you might get shot in the hand.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty

[:D][:D]

[:D]
    What's next?