In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Saw a mountain lion today.

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
edited April 2016 in General Discussion
Coming back from town about 09:00, and it crossed the road about 100 yards in front of me.

That's a mountain lion now, haven't seen any cougars lately.[:0][;)]

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's wild. I would love to see one of these magnificent creatures.
    Where did this occur?
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    10 Miles NE of Aberdeen Washington.
  • hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    Be carefully, they will remember you
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    There are lots of them around Carson, have been ever since they outlawed dog hunting. They shot one in White Salmon 2 years ago that weighed 208 pounds. Shot it right in town, in a guys back yard.
    In Carson, we apply the old SSS system, works on wolfs and cougars.
    W.D.
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there's a couple of local police buddies[i coach their kids occasionally] that are just ate up with hunting the mountain lions with dogs. raising a good hunting dog makes those guys some really BIG $$$$$s.
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Mountain Lion Cougar Panther All the Same Animal
    Cat of Many Names........
    http://mountainlion.org/FAQfrequentlyaskedquestions.asp#Same
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Beautiful animals but very deadly. Get on the horn to your cougar huntin' buddies and let them know there's one they need to cull.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of them is on my bucket list.

Beautiful animals. Love to get one in the cross hairs.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by diver-rig

Yup.
    Me too!
  • CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Florida libs are scamming everyone with the old endangered species BS, Florida Panthers are supposed to be very scarce yet they are commonly sighted, not to long ago an old guy got in huge trouble near here for shooting one full of buck shot, he busted the cat with one of his Geese wedged on a branch fork on a tree inside his property.
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    They shot one in White Salmon 2 years ago that weighed 208 pounds. Shot it right in town, in a guys back yard.I know of one being shot from the back door of a bar about 5-6 years ago.
  • Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I don't get the joke. I've lived in Western Wa for 64 years--we don't have mountain lions here, nor catamounts, panthers, nor pumas.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Found a bobcat in my shed last week, didn't want me to disturb his meal of neighbor's Kitty.
    I just wanted to get my golf clubs, so I gave him/her a shpritz of Sabre spray.
    I now know that's not a good idea.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brian98579
    I guess I don't get the joke. I've lived in Western Wa for 64 years--we don't have mountain lions here, nor catamounts, panthers, nor pumas.

joke? Randy saw a mountain lion near Aberdeen. So, either he's seeing things or there are mountain lions in Western WA. I trust his eyes.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • 1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My neighbor saw one is his backyard last week; in a small town in the wheat fields of eastern Washington. Might explain how my cat disappeared a couple of weeks ago.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    Coming back from town about 09:00, and it crossed the road about 100 yards in front of me.

That's a mountain lion now, haven't seen any cougars lately.[:0][;)]

Wait 'til you see a panther!!!!!!![8)]
    What's next?
  • llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in NW Pa. I have seen a BIG kitty twice. A man that lives less than 1 mile away got 1 on his game cam. Of course he denies the photo. The forest service denies they exist, they also deny sending problem bears to this county. All the bears caught in sewer pipe traps all have the GPS collars on them.
    I know the difference between bobcats and Big kitties. My property has been claimed by bobcats, scat piles and 18" scratch length to cover the cat dirt kinda tells me he has long legs. The only thing to worry about is CDV or canine distemper virus. It causes the victim to not fear humans. AKA zombie virus. It is also known to infect raccoons. The common local cure for a * out in the daytime is .30 calibre slug. A friend shot 1 in the daytime, the game commission guy took away the corpse and had it tested. It was not rabid but had CDV. They act the same as rabid, neuro problems stumbling, frothing at the mouth if unsure kill them and call game commission. I advocate killing *, not big cats unless they are eating my pets. But the bears have more rights than people. If in doubt shoot them and drag them where you want them, kinda like two legged ones.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am pro hunting, but I guess I don't understand the need to exterminate every one someone sees.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    I am pro hunting, but I guess I don't understand the need to exterminate every one someone sees.
    There's a distinct difference between hunting and culling a wayward dangerous animal.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    There's a distinct difference between hunting and culling a wayward dangerous animal.

I didn't see anything in the original post that said it was "wayward" animal.
  • jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Baker County oregon

-brag-creek-baker-county-oregon.jpg
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Come here to Central CA. I bet CADFG will give you all you can carry.[:D]
  • OMCHamlinOMCHamlin Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by diver-rig

Careful that you aren't on one of theirs...
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jerrywh818
    Baker County oregon

You folks sure a tiny down there in Baker County!
    [:D]
    edited November -1
    How's this for cougars? Over by Bridgeport, Baker county or. Game camera photo.
    Game-camera-Baker-or.jpg
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Got seriously stalked by one 3 years ago up elk hunting. Biggin' too. Probably one of the skeeriest things that's ever happened to me while hunting! The moment of realization that the hunter has become the hunted is truly a memorable moment! It wasn't just a random encounter either; this animal was actually hunting ME. He was in the perfect spot too, and the realization of just how much of a disadvantage I was in was truly chilling. He had everything working in his favor, and I had everything working against my favor.

A feller killed one in his garage 5 miles east of year about a year ago.

They're definitely out there.

This happened to a buddy of mine while he was out turkey hunting. He'd been out the week before and had seen a cougar and decided to carry some 00 buck shells just in case. Sure enough, a cat started trying to put the sneak on him so he loaded up the 00 and took him from about 20'. He said it was absolutely amazing how and animal that size could move without making any kind of noise.
    edited November -1
    I had one stalking me once and when I cocked the gun he ran. I swear he covered a hundred yards and only touched the ground three times. All I had was a 22lr pump. Never carried a 22 after that.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jerrywh818
    Baker County oregon

That is a BIG KITTY CAT!!
    Great picture!!