In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

opinion on using sks for appleseed shoot

skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
I want to attend an Appleseed shoot this summer or fall depending on where something is available and was wondering what I should bring. The ones I was considering were .22 w/wo scope, .22 mag with scope, or sks in 7.62x39 with iron sights. I'm leaning toward the sks. Obviously .22 are cheaper to shoot but I have shot a gazillion .22's in my life and haven't shot the sks at all yet. Pro's and con's beside cost?

Comments

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I admit my ignorance, what is an appleseed shoot ??
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    Here is a link to the organization.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
  • 7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the SKS is anything like the AK-47, you will be bruised after one of those shoots. 7.62x39mm has just enough "kick" to get painful after over 100 rounds of shooting.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    @ 100 yards (or under) a 22lr will out perform a SKS as far as accuracy.
    edited November -1
    I am hoping to find a shoot with a range out to maybe 200 or 300 yards if possible. Most of the ranges in MN are only 25 yards and I'd drive a little farther to shoot more of a distance.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell my wife and daughter shot 300 rounds a piece last year with my AK.
    And the recoil barely caused any bruising and you talk about tender skin. It bothers you but it didn't bother them. Maybe you should put like a 3 inch recoil pad on that baby.[:D][:D]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    you will want something that has a detachable mag.

Most of the shooters at the Appleseed I attended had AR's.

I had a M1A.

The folks that came with bolt actions and/or other types were offered Ruger 10/22's to use.

A Ruger Mini-14 would have worked, or a M1 Carbine.

But using the M1 Garand or a SKS with their program would be a real PITA IMHO.

and yes, I felt the 250 rnds of 7.62 NATO I fired that day, later on.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:and haven't shot the sks at all yet

Get familular with the SKS BEFORE you take it.

The day of the shoot, is a bad day to discover a problem with your weapon, and a bad day to finally get fimilular with your rifle.

IMO, of coarse.
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    Most of an Appleseed is done at 25 meters.

You will be practicing quick mag changes, and need 10 round mags.

I know you would handle the recoil just fine, but you may have some new things thrown at you and you could hone the new skills with a .22, then bump up to a centerfire.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    200 or 300 yards with a sks that's a stretch
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    IMO

10/22 with 1 1/4 sling mounts and an old GI surplus canvas Garand sling.

.......and an extended mag release.

again.......IMO
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fshfndr
    200 or 300 yards with a sks that's a stretch

Sure is.
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    And a 10/22 will reach out to two hundred yards? My sks kicks as much as a 22 mag. I can hit the dong at 200 yards with my sks , can't hit the dong with my 10/22 at 200 yards. Someones facts have gone south.
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I ever get the chance to go to an Appleseed shoot, I'm taking my M1.[:p][^]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
    edited November -1
    I might have to get another rifle. Oh well. I have never been bothered too much by recoil but I really don't have anything with detachable 10 rd mags. Time to hit the other side again.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have gone to several appleseed shoots. The 22 is what i would suggest as it will be a better tool to find out what bad habbits you may or may not have. The SKS would work fine, and as far as "needing" detachable mags, thats a load of crap...Every event I went to I used a tube fed bolt action rifle...yes it might be a little more pressing for time, but I think it will truly make you a better shot in the long run as you very well may have to break your NPOA every shot!

Of course you can always bring both! Shoot the 22 the first day and then use the sks the second day...that would also strengthen the confidence you will learn with the proper techniques that they teach when you use a rifle designed for actual combat.
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorlvlb
    And a 10/22 will reach out to two hundred yards? My sks kicks as much as a 22 mag. I can hit the dong at 200 yards with my sks , can't hit the dong with my 10/22 at 200 yards. Someones facts have gone south.

Hit the Gong not the Dong...
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by roswellnative

Hit the Gong not the Dong...

Maybe he was shooting from the hip[;)][:D]
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1

Yeeeouch! [:0][xx(][V]
  • 7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eboydell
    I never heard of an Apple Seed Shoot, but I think the SKS is one of the worse POS ever made! I'd use a knife before a SKS!

LOL [:D]
    The SKS ain't that bad.
  • xstuntmanxstuntman Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Yugo SKS rifles are milled and weigh more so you'll get less felt recoil.