In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1911 Ambidextrous Thumb Safety vs single side

sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in General Discussion
One of my favorite 1911's to shoot of all things is a Stainless Taurus, Right after I got it I noticed the thumb safety on the off/right side did not work,, I replaced it with a Wilson combat, now after about 1 1/2 years of shooting, the Wilson safety has done the exact same thing,,The off side goes up and down it just does not move the working side...Is there any reason why I could not just go back with an original style single left side thumb safety and do away with this Ambidextrous BS ? if so is there a better name brand to buy ? I just normally use Wilson since they are about an hour up the road

Comments

• kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer a single safety, it fits much flatter that way.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    Dang,never heard of that happening. Can't wait to hear the answer.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    Dang,never heard of that happening. Can't wait to hear the answer.

agreed.

I got a Taurus 1911 and this is not an issue but I haven't shot it THAT much either.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being left handed and having to get ambi-safeties added to 1911's it's rare that a gunsmith will get it right the 1st time. Usually when I pick the gun up I have to give it back to them to redo it.
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im in Clinton Ar,,The original safety,,the ear on the mortise was broken,,I have not removed the wilson yet,,I was going to wait until I bought a new one,,Like I said,,the Wilson lasted over a year and has at least 50 trips to the range on it, I just never use the off side so I figured why replace it with an ambidextrous, the only odd thing will be the notch in the top of the right grip will have nothing in it
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No thumb on safety, I have other 1911's and this is the only one I have ever had this problem with although the only other one with a ambidextrous safety is a Wilson Combat classic and I do not shoot it often,,I will not shoot it until its repaired
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer an ambi safety. The addition width doesn't bother me
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being left handed and having a grip laser as well required a special Wilson ambe. safety added to the right side. Mine works just fine.[;)][;)]
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forgemonkey! I am curious as to the "high hand" hold (thumb on safety) question? As I shoot this way just wanting to know what your insight is. Thanks!
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you! I had never contemplated that before. I will keep a closer eye on this. As always much appreciated.