In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

beef brisket help ** Update

hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
edited July 2011 in General Discussion
Doubled the recipe and went with 225 for 7 hours. Internal temp was 185. Let it rest for half hour before cutting. Man that is one tender tasty slab of beef. Going to make some good sandwiches with the left overs and the home made bread that i have in the oven right now.

I came upon a 10 pound beef brisket. Having never made it before i'm checking the net for recipes. Here is one that sounds good but it for a 4 pound brisket. Do i just little more then double the recipe. How do i adjust for time.. Here is the recipe i found. If any yall have one that sounds better feel free to add.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 bay leaf, crushed
4 pounds beef brisket, trimmed
1 1/2 cups beef stock
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Make a dry rub by combining chili powder, salt, garlic and onion powders, black pepper, sugar, dry mustard, and bay leaf. Season the raw brisket on both sides with the rub. Place in a roasting pan and roast, uncovered, for 1 hour.

Add beef stock and enough water to yield about 1/2 inch of liquid in the roasting pan. Lower oven to 300 degrees F, cover pan tightly and continue cooking for 3 hours, or until fork-tender.

Trim the fat and slice meat thinly across the grain. Top with juice from the pan.

Comments

• calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I thought this was where we sign up to help eat it. Good luck.
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    1st tip, is cook it in a smoker for at least 6 hours, instead of the oven.

Second tip, cook it the day before you want to eat it, put it in the refrigerator to set up. Slice it cold the next day, then put it in one of those countertop ovens, with water or broth in the bottom to steam it for an hour or so before serving it.

My basic rub is pretty much 2 parts seasoned salt, 1 part paprika,and a couple tablespoons (or to taste) dried cayenne pepper.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    On the rub, yes. Double it.

I gotta tell you, not a clue on the cooking time part other than doubling it isn't going to work at all.

short of cutting it in half and cooking it twice???
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Bring it over here and we can test the recipe under "real world" conditions (I'm hungry). I have plenty of beer to wash it all down with.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I was thinking of just cutting it in half and trying that out. Either that or just checking it with a meat thermometer every half hour of so after the 4 hour mark.
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Marinate it with a 2 liter bottle of Coke over night and you will ave the Best Brisket you ever ate.
  • nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D] HK-91 [:D] What a joke
  • oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have to use the oven, use 225 degrees for 6 to 8 hours. Best way to ruin a brisket is cook it fast.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lower temperature and a long cooking time is your best friend how ever if your doing it in an oven I'd be adding a wee bit more water.
    edited November -1
    Man if i could get out and use the smoker i would love to but its in the shed and with these damn back spasms i can barley get up to take a piss let alone set that up and keep an eye on it. Wife said we could try the oven thing so i figured some of you have had to cheat and use the oven for bricket before and would have a couple tips for me.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Better to cook it a bit longer,than to under cook it...Indirect heat smoker and a pan of water under the meat will always yield kikass brisket.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have a smoker so I cook mine exclusively in the oven, it still tastes good as well. The last hour or so I throw in those baby white potatoes and carrots as well. I usually cook at least 4 of them a year that way. I also use some caraway seeds a touch of cinnamon and cloves.
  • 4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    you can never put too much rub on it.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 46270
    you can never put too much rub on it.

Do you mean
    you can never put too much rub on it?
    or
    You can never put too much rub on it?
  • NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    use the rub and then put it in the kind of bag you use on a turkey.
    seal it then slice i small cut on top of bag. no stock!!!(liquids),it will make its own. then set the oven(pre-heat first)on
    190 F. for 10-12 hours,you might want to throw in a few peppers on top of meat[:p][:p][:p].put in at 6am--feast at 5 or 6pm[;)][:p][;)][:p]
    edited November -1
    have to admite here Low and slow has never let me down. so why start now... I'm going to use the rub ( that is unless someone comes up with a better one for now) and i'm going for around 250 deg for 6 to 8 hours. hope all turns out when or there will be alot of dog food being ate instead of some very well cooked beef.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put the rack at the highest part of the oven. Put the brisket on a turkey rack or other meat rack on top of a cookie sheet. Place a pan of water at the botom of the oven (as you woud do if you were using a smoker). Heat the oven to 200 something on bake. Roll on your butt and self medicate on booze. Fill the pan every 2 hours or as needed for the next 8 (maybe 10 hours).
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a good starting point for a rub. I use granulated garlic and onion rather than the powder and a chipotle chili powder. (Watch it, that stuff goes a LONG WAY) and a little more mustard powder and less black pepper than they call for. Best thing about a rub is you can tweak it to your family's taste.

Low and Slow!
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    Glad it turned out good for you. Missed the original post,but boy that sandwich sure does sound like a winner too.