In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sam Walton must be spinning in his grave

cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
edited July 2011 in General Discussion
[:(] www.wal-martchina.com[:(]
[Computer glitch, click on second link]

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Did you know that Coke and McDonalds are ALSO marketed in China?

This just now set in on you? American companies have been marketing American products/services overseas for years.
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    I didn't click on your link, but am guessing this link is relevant.

http://sendables.jibjab.com/originals/big_box_mart

It'll be 4 yrs. this Oct since I've stepped foot in Wal-fart.[xx(][}:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by matwor

What do E-cards have to do with a chineese wal-fart?
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    China is the largest market for KFC. Wonder if they like watermelon...
  • cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    Difference- Coke and McDonalds are not killing the U.S. infrastructure.
    Wal-Mart is the largest retailer in America and most of their product is foreign. And I would be hard pressed to believe that the American based Wal-Marts in China sell any American made goods at all.
    I could be wrong, but it would surprise me.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    China is the largest market for KFC. Wonder if they like watermelon...

Only if said watermelon is served with fresh monkey brains.....
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cahas
    Wal-Mart is the largest retailer in America and most of their product is foreign. And I would be hard pressed to believe that the American based Wal-Marts in China sell any American made goods at all.

So if you are so concerned, buy your China made products from a mom and pop store.

Same crap in all the stores.

The AMERICAN PEOPLE have destroyed infastructure. They vote with their dollars.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind

So if you are so concerned, buy your China made products from a mom and pop store.

Same crap in all the stores.

Not many left, Man.
    edited November -1
    Not many left, Man.

I agree.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Matty...

I just listened to that little Jib-Jab jingle and the wife... chuckled... "That's Funny.."

My reply... "That's not funny at all... That's TRUE." [V]

Sad... but, that's exactly where this country is headed.. down the tubes. [:(!]
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

What do E-cards have to do with a chineese wal-fart?
    More of a reality check then an e-card....

And done quite well I think...
    They certainly point out several issues that many overlook in favor of convenience.
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Not sure what you mean by "e-card"!?!? Trox has got it right, sad but true.[V]
  • AmishAmish Member Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walmart's HQ is in Arkansas where Bill Clinton was governor. Hillary was on Walmart's board of directors. The company has a long history of fascism (contact with big government).

They started off with "made in the USA" but that was never meant to last.
  • Removed at users request.Removed at users request. Member Posts: 3,027
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Amish
    Walmart's HQ is in Arkansas where Bill Clinton was governor. Hillary was on Walmart's board of directors. The company has a long history of fascism (contact with big government).

I don't know how you would know "it was never meant to last".

On another note, how did W&Co. as guardians of virtue and keeper of the American way, not see through this scheme and put a stop to it while in power?

Recognizing the evil in one group is good, ignoring the same evil in another group negates any benefit.
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When American products can compete in cost then China won't be able to sell products in the U.S.

Don't blame Wal-Mart for buying at the lowest cost. Don't you?

Blame the government and the unions for driving up prices on American goods.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
    edited November -1
    Put the blame of cost on the people. it is a domino affect. If I want more money to do a job, then the cost of labor has increased, then the cost of production increases and in the end the consumer (myself) has to pay more for the product I am producing.

GREED! is what has caused most of the problem.

I read somewhere a few years back that the CEO of Coca Cola said that if there is a place in the world that coke isnt sold they will find it and sell coke there.

Saw a documentary on TV once about coke and they showed a Coke machine in a very remote part of the world and a man had worked all month to get his couple dollars pay and took his grandson to the coke machine and it cost him the equivelent of 75 Cents for a bottle of coke.
  • cactuspete1cactuspete1 Member Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I challenge anyone in here to go to any store that sells nothing but American Made Products, It is impossible to find one.

Might not like Wally world, however they provide jobs for thousands, Do away with wally world and what happens to those people, That is the great thing about free interprise, Sam Walton done good.
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1

Been to Cabela's lately? It's wal-mart with the Cabela's price tag. Dick Cabela should be ashamed.[V]
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    When American products can compete in cost then China won't be able to sell products in the U.S.

It is hard to find slave labor in America that will work for 15 cents a day. MFN trading status in exchange for $2 million in campaign contributions. Thanks slick willy.[xx(]
    edited November -1
    Just look at the firearms industry, Guns coming from every country in the world, Ammunition, I havent seem so many different brands of Ammo for Shotguns as there is now. There used to be just a handfull now there are a couple dozen manufactures,, I have shot most of it and some of it is pure junk, cheap made. Again companies going to foreign countries having their product made for a fraction of the cost (quality be damned) and charging the same as always, or more.
    edited November -1

I am not an economist but why did the Government allow this to happen?
    Goods that are U.S. made- Look at all the tax revenue that a single product generates.
    American factories rely on contract companies for parts[that have already been taxed before reaching final factory]
    Then it is taxed again when sold to retailer and then taxed yet again when we buy it. Looks like good revenue.
    Certainly a foreign product would be much less tax revenue for our Govt, what is % of import tax China pays to U.S.? I don't know, somebody give me an answer.
    Well I guess at the the shipyards anyway are booming, making a killing for port fees, and the Rail Roads are making a profit. Really hits the smaller companies though, meaning less jobs and a weakened U.S. economy.
    Yep, now for the consumer. Was once a time when previous generations bought a product and meant to keep it a long, long time. And it was made that way, to last.
    We have turned into a society of want it right now, and want it cheap.
    So we a disposable and cheap society.
    So, what can U.S. companies do to compete? Well, they have to cheapen their product.
    There are still a few Companies here that make a premium product, made to last, proud of their product and stamp the U.S. flag on the box.
    Yes, cost more, yes Union labor.
    I dunno folks, I have my ideals, am a plain Country folk and like what I see when I look out the window, fields and fences and mountains beyond that. I don't even watch the news anymore, guess I am trying to live my own life in our own little area of the Country, but get subtle reminders when I get to the gas pump or go to shop for things I need.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,307 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    Just look at the firearms industry, Guns coming from every country in the world, Ammunition, I havent seem so many different brands of Ammo for Shotguns as there is now. There used to be just a handfull now there are a couple dozen manufactures,, I have shot most of it and some of it is pure junk, cheap made. Again companies going to foreign countries having their product made for a fraction of the cost (quality be damned) and charging the same as always, or more.
    Exactly and there is something in your post that maybe the union haters on this site could explain. When a company it forced overseas by the high priced unions yadda, yadda, yadda, blab,blab, blab, and they now get their stuff made in commie land at pennies per hour labor, how come they don't cut the selling price of their goods in half? Greed perhaps?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cactuspete1
    I challenge anyone in here to go to any store that sells nothing but American Made Products, It is impossible to find one.

Might not like Wally world, however they provide jobs for thousands, Do away with wally world and what happens to those people, That is the great thing about free interprise, Sam Walton done good.
    There is a large store in Kidron, OH, that used to sell Amish made goods and items for the Amish, called Lehmans hardware. I have not been there in 15 years but am going this year.
    I will report what the store is like now, but it is my hope that they still sell mostly American made goods.
    edited November -1
    CAHAS: Your key word is there "Mostly" If they are selling anything that they didnt make themselves you can bet there are foreign made products there.

Pizza hut uses sauses made in foreign countries.[:(]

Then a Question for the person that ask how did the government let it happen?

How do you think the government could stop a company from going to a foreign company to make their products?

People holler and stomp their feet about too much government intervention and then turn around and expect the government to do something .
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf

It is hard to find slave labor in America that will work for 15 cents a day. MFN trading status in exchange for $2 million in campaign contributions. Thanks slick willy.[xx(]

Do not forget that Billary got paid millions from Walmart when she served on their "advisory board" at the same time that Walmart was pushing Willy for NAFTA.

The shape of the US job market and downfall can be blamed on the people (voters) for letting them get away with passing NAFTA.
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam Walton must be spinning in his grave....All the way to the bank!!![;)]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
    edited November -1
    CAHAS: Your key word is there "Mostly" If they are selling anything that they didnt make themselves you can bet there are foreign made products there.

How do you think the government could stop a company from going to a foreign company to make their products?

People holler and stomp their feet about too much government intervention and then turn around and expect the government to do something .

Classic, since we brought the first European item into this new Country, when we stepped off the damn ship, there were imported goods, has been going on throughout the World since the beginning of Mankind.
    Trade is good, or once was anyway, when the good was high craftsmanship and made up 5% of what was in the store.
    edited November -1

They can't. But they can sign a bill to limit or change the amount of foreign goods brought into this Country.
    edited November -1
    I agree there used to be pride in workmanship, I spent 14 years in Europe back in the 50s and 60s , and I noticed a decline in quality of goods as the world mkts opened up.

There was once pride in craftsmanship in this country also, but Greed, and the fast dollar took that away.. There are a few places left, but I am sure they are doomed.

Just look at all the stuff on the market today , Made in the USA assembled in Turky, china, india, Hell even the Internet geek squads are farmed out to foreign countries.

Look at your basic Chevy, fenders made where? lightbulbs Hecho In Mexico, Crap even My harley Davidson had a gas cap stamped Made in China. Where does it end?
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

James, James, James....

It is sooooo much easier to blame Government, Labor Unions, and Big Bad Business.

When the American Consumer shows a loyalty to domestic production at even half the rate that European or Asian consumers do today, our unemployment problems, balance of trade problems, and virtually all of our financial problems will be history.

Of course we may have to consider not having a television in every room of the house..
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

James, James, James....

It is sooooo much easier to blame Government, Labor Unions, and Big Bad Business.

When the American Consumer shows a loyalty to domestic production at even half the rate that European or Asian consumers do today, our unemployment problems, balance of trade problems, and virtually all of our financial problems will be history.

Of course we may have to consider not having a television in every room of the house..

Parish the thought! In a world of "I want it now", demanding it cheap, and instant gratifaction, that just don't jive....

[V]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cactuspete1

1 We have a store in town that ONLY sells American made products. I shop there often.

2 It isn't a "free market" when you manipulate it. Wal-Fart, amoung other corporations, have manipulated polices and markets for YEARS.
    edited November -1
    I would venture to say the materials in the "Made only in america" comes from a foreign country. And I would venture to say that the store has Foreign products on its shelf also. Unless it is a ONE PRODUCT store.[;)]
    edited November -1
    I would venture to say the materials in the "Made only in america" comes from a foreign country. And I would venture to say that the store has Foreign products on its shelf also. Unless it is a ONE PRODUCT store.[;)]

Think whatever you want.....

Yes, there are a few products that are made of forgein components. Those components are not made in America. America doesn't make any textile products anymore.

Since you don't know what products are sold on the shelf, you are simply striking in the dark.
    edited November -1
    Not striking out at anything, It is virtually impossible to find anything totally made in the USA today. AGAIN, assembled in america with foreign made parts or materi[:0]al.
  • PanzerSlayer2PanzerSlayer2 Member Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to run my company's overseas operations. It's is easier and less costly to train a foreign laborer to do quality work than it is to get a trained American laborer to accept a foreign price.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Charles Johnson

I don't know how you would know "it was never meant to last".

On another note, how did W&Co. as guardians of virtue and keeper of the American way, not see through this scheme and put a stop to it while in power?

Recognizing the evil in one group is good, ignoring the same evil in another group negates any benefit.

Lets see, the government signs NAFTA and deindustrializes America (for whatever criminal reason) and Walmart sells the Chinese products. Hillary was on the board making it so. Conclusion: W&Co was in on it from the *-go. I'm not a believer in coincidences.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PanzerSlayer2
    I used to run my company's overseas operations. It's is easier and less costly to train a foreign laborer to do quality work than it is to get a trained American laborer to accept a foreign wage.
    edited November -1

James, James, James....

If only that were an option. Outside the auto industry most items are all foreign produced.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

James, James, James....

If only that were an option. Outside the auto industry most items are all foreign produced.

This is a false statement.

Hand tools, clothing, cookware and flatware, paper and plastic products, furniture, shelving, almost everything but some consumer electronics can be found with the Made in U.S.A. label. For starters, you may wish to consider:

www.saveourcountryfirst.com

or:

www.madeinusaproductsstore.com

or:

Take the time to actually read more than simply the price on the product label.

Granted, you have to get off your * and go look for them.

You will usually have to pay a little more, but paying a decent wage for labor is not a bad thing, or is it?

You may also want to consider a U.S.A. made firearm for your next purchase. There is quite a selection of these.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele