In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

DNA kit

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in General Discussion
anyone done the ancestry or 23andme DNA kits?

I think it'd be kind of cool to find out my heritage from a thousand years ago but looking for some reviews and input.

Comments

• Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep I did mine earlier this year. It's pretty interesting.

Europe 100%

Great Britain 60%
    Europe West 16%
    Ireland 7%
    Scandinavia 6%
    Europe East 6%
    Italy/Greece 2%
    European Jewish 1%
    Liberian Peninsula 1%
    Finland/Northwest Russia < 1% (< less than)
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Waiting on my results right now from Ancestry.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet there is countless people in Chicago and New York just be happy to know there daddy was

as for you post That would be interesting to find out
    edited November -1
    I know a guy that wished he'd never shook his family tree 'cause he got a big surprise on what fell out. [:D]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never ask a question to which you are not prepared for the answer.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag

Europe 100%

Great Britain 60%
    Europe West 16%
    Ireland 7%
    Scandinavia 6%
    Europe East 6%
    Italy/Greece 2%
    European Jewish 1%
    Liberian Peninsula 1%

Take out Great Britain and add German mine should be close to that.

Was wrong my Great Britain is even higher than yours.
  • ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Me and herself did the one from National Geographic. Northern European, and 1. 2 percent Neanderthal. She got the same except 2.5 percent Neanderthal...I always thought her relatives dragged their knuckles on the ground...[:)]
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did, results were as expected. Have not found any matches closer than a third cousin.

I suppose as more people do this it will expand the results.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did it as well. The family legend was that my great grandparents on my mothers fathers side were 1/4 and 1/2 Cherokee. In working on the family genealogy my father got to a woman in Mississippi and could not find any records past her. Many records were destroyed in the Civil War, but in any event she was where the records stopped. My father speculated that she might have stepped off the trail of tears, but there was never any trace beyond her.

I decided to test the old story and the results were that there are no Cherokees or any other Native American in my woodpile for at least 5 generations back. Turns out my mother's haplotype is a rare one that comes from the middle East.
  • reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is there a specific test being recommended here? sounds interesting.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not without a warrant[:D]
  • CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was fun to do, It placed my ancestry in central Italy Gascony or western France and Galicia north Spain, no Neanderthal.
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • GanderGander Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife and I did the 23and me DNA test a while back, found out that I have 2.9% Neanderthal DNA, and 963 DNA relatives.

99.9% European

35.9% British & Irish
    17.9% Scandinavian
    4.7% French & German
    4.3% Finnish
    33.0% Broadly Northern European
    0.6% Broadly Southern European
    3.5% Broadly European
    Lead me not into temptation as I seem to find it often myself !
  • Irish 8802Irish 8802 Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did the Ancestry DNA test..Very interesting.Myself-89% Irish-6% great Britain,,3% Scandinaiva,,2% West Asia (Caucasus)???????????????Since retiring am going to go deeper.Allready have numerous cousins with a high degree of probability.
    edited November -1
    Here are the full Results.

quote:Got my DNA back
    81% Great Britain (GERMAN)
    11% Ireland
    2% Scandinavia
    1% South Asia
    2%Europe East
    1% European Jewish[:D]
    1% Europe West
    2% Caucasus (sure its Romania)
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    It's a trick!
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ordered it today.

When I get the results back I'll be sure to post about my superior genetic make up.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

Europe 100%

Great Britain 60%
    Europe West 16%
    Ireland 7%
    Scandinavia 6%
    Europe East 6%
    Italy/Greece 2%
    European Jewish 1%
    Liberian Peninsula 1%

Take out Great Britain and add German mine should be close to that.

Was wrong my Great Britain is even higher than yours.

You were right our results are pretty much the same. I was expecting to see German as the highest percentage in my DNA since we still have relatives living in Odernheim, Germany but there was no mention of Germany in my results.

I also see that you probably had that same Jewish guy in the woodpile in your family too. Looks like he got around. [:D]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cannot believe folks buy into this.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    I ordered it today.

When I get the results back I'll be sure to post about my superior genetic make up.
    Maybelline? [:X]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Did it as well. The family legend was that my great grandparents on my mothers fathers side were 1/4 and 1/2 Cherokee. In working on the family genealogy my father got to a woman in Mississippi and could not find any records past her. Many records were destroyed in the Civil War, but in any event she was where the records stopped. My father speculated that she might have stepped off the trail of tears, but there was never any trace beyond her.

I decided to test the old story and the results were that there are no Cherokees or any other Native American in my woodpile for at least 5 generations back. Turns out my mother's haplotype is a rare one that comes from the middle East.
    the DNA test and Family Legend are in substantial disagreement. I would go with what your grandpops knows and discard the test. they must want your money and more DNA samples.
  • milesmiles Member Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    I cannot believe folks buy into this.

I'm appalled that you have doubts about the validity of those tests.
    Here are a couple of links of many that say the tests are flawed.

http://www.senseaboutscience.org/pages/genetic-ancestry-testing.html

http://dna-explained.com/2015/04/07/testing-ancestrys-amazing-new-ancestor-dna-claim/
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..My oldest sister has done a lot of family research. I'm more interested in my wife's. Though she's blond with green eyes, she has the * features of American Indian. We have a photograph of her G.G. Grandmother who was full blood Cherokee. Lore has it that she was on the Trail of Tears.
    ..My side is pretty well documented as German on my Dad's side and Swiss/French on my Mom's. I'd like to do the DNA thing. How much does that cost?
    edited November -1
    I found out something today. Our long lost folks for Europe buried long ago submitted DNA to the labs back then and they froze it for future generations. This also applies to those folks locked up in the prisons long ago. How many were innocent bystanders..[8D] For just 49.95 you can find out if the family was locked up or done hard time. I am positive a lot of scientific research can be done for that price. Just wait.. a special offer.. do one get one free. coming soon to a infomercial near you.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    I found out something today. Our long lost folks for Europe buried long ago submitted DNA to the labs back then and they froze it for future generations. This also applies to those folks locked up in the prisons long ago. How many were innocent bystanders..[8D] For just 49.95 you can find out if the family was locked up or done hard time. I am positive a lot of scientific research can be done for that price. Just wait.. a special offer.. do one get one free. coming soon to a infomercial near you.

..SF, after reading the links from miles, it does all sound pretty incredulous. IF they can just narrow it down to regions of the world, the results would be interesting enough. * you to a specific family or famous person is just folly and wishful thinking.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I was to believe my Uncle Bud from FL I would claim reation to Elvis and Belle Star. There is a couple Presleys that are very distant cousins but are in no way tied to my mothers side of the family, Craft. Belle Star? A little
    More believable but cannot be proven. We tried the Ancestory . Com site but getting beyond my grandfather is near impossible, it just ends with him. My blood fathers side of the family (never met the man) James Meadows, I do not know enough about him to even attempt a trace. So with that I accept the fact that I'm an American Mutt that is totally untraceable. Best we can come up with is the last names Craft and Meadows are both British. I thhink Meadows is Welsh but cannot remember.

I'm a mutt.

I must have some hispanic or Indian blood, possibly even black because when I get some sun I get very very dark[8D]
    edited November -1
    ..Without joining Ancestry, I found the name and manifest of the
    ship that my maternal G. parents came over on. I haven't looked
    on there lately so I don't know if anything can be accessed without
    joining....and paying.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    Not without a warrant[:D]

Pretty much.
  • ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Have not tried it.

Back around 50 years ago some branch of the family on my father's side was seriously interested in building a family lineage. From old family bibles and digging into many old records they got back around 400 years. This documented many of the countries of Europe and the UK. Turned up saints and sinners and common peasants.

An old spelling of the family name is prominent on any map of the world. We've had a famous mathematician, a serial killer, an Indian fighter who got religion and reversed his ways, a great explorer, all sorts of people.

It's sort of entertaining to know such things. Not important to me though.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I was expecting to see German as the highest percentage in my DNA since we still have relatives living in Odernheim, Germany but there was no mention of Germany in my results.How much bigger clue do you need on the validity of these mail order DNA scams. [:D]
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't find anything I didn't expect to find, more of a confirmation of what I had researched already.

Kinda cool though
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Found 2% African.....I guess I'm out of the Klan....
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't understand these assertions of scams.
    I paid a hundred bucks and got my DNA tested by 23andme.com They are an up-and-up company.

The results pretty much are in agreement with family lore, I am primarily Celtic, that is, Irish, Welsh, and Scottish.
    Also a good measure of German and Danish and French. No southern or eastern European.

My dad's family is from South Dakota and sure enough we have .01 percent American Indian. Nobody is talking about that so I would love to get the story.
    Also I am 3 percent Neanderthal. I love it! I am proud of being a cave man.

unnamed_zpsfac7b531.jpg

unnamed1_zpsd8fc3696.jpg
    Here are some pics taken of me in British Columbia Canada in 1973.
    If the shoe fits, wear it!

edited November -1
    DNA TESTING

Because Fortune Telling Is So Last Century
    edited November -1
    It is a whole trap. They could share that DNA info with govt. officials to keep on record.
    edited November -1
    Beautiful brow ridges Allen! I am 2.5% myself. Wuh.
    edited November -1
    that was back when it was spearbroker.com... [8D]
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******
    edited November -1
    I consider myself a second hand lion type who doesn't want to know or meet up with those dag gone shirt tail relatives. I even try to hide from the known one's if at all possible. Random DNA testing is just a profit gimmick unless it is needed for important health or legal concerns. I must be a cro magnon cause I invented the man cave!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    that was back when it was spearbroker.com... [8D]

[:D][:D][:D][:p] Yep, Allen and I are about that old.[8D]