In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pipe smoker?

catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
edited February 2016 in General Discussion
I have recently switch from cigars back to a pipe. I think I am enjoying my pipes more now then I did 40 yrs. ago when I first started buying them.
Was just wondering if any one else here smoke a pipe?

Comments

• mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No but I do like the smell of some pipe tobacco.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • 17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smoke cigars & pipes; Borkum Riff pipe tobacco.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never smoked a pipe, but my dad did. He gave me his old pipe and some are really cool. They have a pirate,sailor and a couple other faces carved in them. He also gave me his pipe rack and bowl for the tobacco that is all in one on a tray. I think it is up in the attic. must have been the thing back in the 60's.[:o)]
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I recall that I smoked pipes and have several laying somewhere, I just don't remember the specifics of when or where. When I did, I got the tobacco from Iwan Ries in Chicago.
  • KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually smoke cigars, but I do have a pipe and some assorted tobaccos for when I need a change of pace.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    For a few years in the 1980's.

Tobacco free for a few years now.

But love the smell.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hussein appears to be a pipe man too.

imagesYILGFHMZ_zps30331c45.jpg
  • catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
    edited November -1
    The ones I smoke don't take that kind of organic plant leaf.
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    51NC72De7qL._SX300_.jpg ~ Sherlock Holmes

[^][:D][8D]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Smoked them foe 40+ years quit 2002. But if I am ever told I have a year or less to live I will go back I have some great Pipes and Vacuum
    sealed and frozen pound of my favorite Pipe Tobacco.[:I]
  • john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In going thru my mother's items I found my g-great grandfather's pipe in remarkably good shape. He immigrated from Ireland. The pipe is briar, Dublin type and the brand was American. In 2011 I packed it with Carter Hall and took it to the St. Patrick's Day parade and smoked it while watching the parade. Seemed appropriate. My aunt told me he smoked nothing but Prince Albert and drank nothing but Four Roses whiskey. My kind of guy. Maybe not the Prince Albert.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smoked pipes from college on. Quit smoking years ago, but still have my pipes, just could not let them go.

Only one I use is for deer smoke before hunting. My partner is Navajo and we follow his traditions.
  • Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
    Yes, EA Carey pipes & tobacco.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I smoke pipe and cigars...

No inhaling. No problems as long as its infrequent. Captain Black and mix for pipe. Churchill maduro. Mostly used @ deer camp since wife frowns upon smoking.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I have a older but unused meerschaum pipe kit. Has a large unfinished bowl, carving tools, sandpaper, etc. all in the original box.

Would consider a giveaway if somebody would finish it up and use it!
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    I have a older but unused meerschaum pipe kit. Has a large unfinished bowl, carving tools, sandpaper, etc. all in the original box.

Waxing is tough to do (as an amature) on meers. But they do smoke nicely.
  • gunut 1gunut 1 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    did years ago....John Rolfe I believe was the name of the tobacco I smoked ....very smooth and aromatic....don't think they make it any more......
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mainly a cigar smoker but a friend gave me a nice English pipe & tobacco for my birthday this week. It's a lot more work than a cigar but nice now and then.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Preferred a bong really
    [:D][:D][}:)]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like both cigars and pipe smoking mostly at deer camp since the family frowns upon the smells and thoughts of cancer agents...[8]
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used to, but when I lost part of my lower lip I quit smoking and chewing. I might try it once again some day, but I wont continue and will probably get sick.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    My Grand dad smoked a pipe/pipes.
    He had quite a collection of burl,brier and soapstone,I think.
    He seemed to always prefer the brier wood ones.
    Always smoked Borkum Riff.
    I used to roll a little into a cigarette once in a while.Not bad.
  • IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I would put it to use
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Got an Irish Peterson. Smoking a pipe is a lot like a ritual, as opposed to the instant gratification of a cigarette, or a cigar. Wish I could say that I appreciate the fancier pipe tobacco's, but I don't. Captain Black serves my purposes quite well.

Few years ago, when I was "fuzzier.

blackpowdershotguns023.jpg
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only now and then now. Once all the time. I have around 20 pipes, Dunhills, Petersons, Comoy, even a St.Clare Crosby that was made like one of Bing's favorites. Tried probably a hundred different types of tobacco. Always go back to Half and Half, and Velvet although I have 6 different kinds right now. Stokkebye's in several blends are very good. My all time and longest favorite was Peterson's Sherlock Holmes. But the arsholes changed the blend and it's not the same. (Yes, I have one of those Calabash pipes like Holmes never smoked but is always in movies. It's a great, cool smoking pipe.)
    I don't particularly like English blends because they are heavy on Latakia.
    I could talk about pipes for hours but only bore you, so yes, I do smoke pipes.[8D]
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when I was a kid I worked at a grocery store it had two owners , One was George , he smoked a pipe , as soon as he came into the store we knew at that time he was in the store [:D][:0].. most of the customers smoked in the store , but George smoked a pipe with a tobacco with a good aroma and it stood out , so we had a heads up he was there ..( code for look busy ) Good guy and good old days .
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup every now and again.

I found this real buttery smelling stuff while I was running back and forth to San Fran. a few years ago. Should've wrote down the name of it but it was a spur of the moment purchase. Maybe I'll take a trip to buy more and eat Chinese food made by "real" Chinese.
    edited November -1
    Love this Drew Estate Meat Pie tobacco

20160220_115224_zpsyu8hx0ps.jpg
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Not for me but,I guess it beats being a "*"...lol
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Long time ago, I still have a Kirsten & an old Missouri Meerschaum when I need to have that smell in the house.
    I used to put the cuts off my cigars in 'em.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems that that chapter of my life was eons ago. Back in my University days, a pipe was the next logical step (to me at least) after learning to chew tobacco while playing HS baseball. My dad was a pipe smoker and my room mate's dad was a pipe smoker of latakia tobacco. I never donned any tweed or patched my elbows, but I thought (for a moment) I was cool. Then I learned that I was allergic to nicotine and smoking made me stupid (stoned).

I even entered a pipe smoking contest once. I swear we were given ground up used tires to smoke. I won a pipe but finished near the bottom.

Once Campbell's Smoke shop in East Lansing closed and I hadn't a clue what blend I was smoking, it was easy to give it up.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They still make Cherry Blend[?]
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know a master wood model maker that would love to take a crack at that! He used to smoke a pipe to boot

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asop
    They still make Cherry Blend[?]

That's the brand my Dad smoked in his pipe for years. It smelled great.
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a few Savinelli briar pipes...used to buy my tobacco from a tobacconist in Bahrain when I was deployed (several times) during the war.

Delicious and really made the place smell good.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad smoked Prince Albert in a can for years ( I wish I'd saved his cans) until it finally done him in. His pipe was made to put a filter in, but he never did. I still remember him taking those string pipe cleaners and getting the crud out, what a nasty mess.