In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Are you a "gun dealer"? ATF Regulations

Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
edited June 2023 in General Discussion
In light of Obama's recent Executive Order regarding gun sales, the BATF has issued a publication defining who is and who isn't considered a "dealer" under current law. Basically, nothing has changed except ATF will intensify their investigations of non-licensees who engage in the business of buying and selling firearms. Pay particular attention to the "examples" at the end of their publication. As sellers on GunBroker ship firearms to licensed FFL dealers, there is little to be concerned about regarding background checks.

However, particular care should be taken if you are an unlicensed individual who buys and sells on a regular basis, both online and/or at gun shows, where it is evident that you are doing it for profit, i.e., "engaged in business".

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/01/05/atf-guidance-on-who-qualifies-as-firearms-dealer.html

You can download the ATF publication in .pdf format directly here:

https://www.atf.gov/file/100871/download

Comments

• JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought several ARs in the panic and sold the upper bcg case paper box and acc for what I got the rifle for. All I kept was the lower. Now I have several spare lowers and would like to move them out but the new law has me concerned about doing anything with them.
  • usmc1978usmc1978 Member Posts: 226 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My opinion based on what the law actually says, if you're not buying on a regular basis and selling the same guns, you have little to worry about. Selling your personal firearms (without buying more for the purpose of re-selling) is never wrong. The buzzards are trying to scare regular guys out of doing what red blooded Americans do. Incidentally, that ATF guide doesn't even contain the entire definition of 'engaged in the business,' it just contains snippets. Again, just the parts to scare you. In fact, at least one part of it is misleading. Here is the entire legal definition, for those who buy and sell (there are different definitions for ammo manufacturing, gunsmithing, etc.): Title 27, Chapter II, Subchapter B, Part 478, Subpart B, 478.11
    (c) Dealer in firearms other than a gunsmith or a pawnbroker. A person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such a term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms;
    "Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been going to a gun show in Birmingham, Al for the last 10 years or so and I see the same 5-6 guys selling at a table and I know they are selling for a profit but they do not have a license. It hurts the honest dealer that buys a license.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by usmc1978
    dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms

I think the bolded word above is key. I buy and sell, buy and sell, but I keep some. Yeah, I sometimes make money, sometimes lose money (at least the shipping and transfer)but for fun and to try all kinds of firearms rather than for livelihood.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know this thread is a couple of years old, but a worthwhile reminder- a Captain in law enforcement down in San Diego just got busted for selling without a license. Be careful.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    11b6r wrote:
    I know this thread is a couple of years old, but a worthwhile reminder- a Captain in law enforcement down in San Diego just got busted for selling without a license. Be careful.

Any details? Trading to much ? Or selling to many ?
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Anyone know what they are referring to in the link provided @11b6r by this:

"law that requires people who buy or sell more than five guns a year to have a federal license." I would think that is just a CA law.

I hadn't ever seen a set limit stated and have been going by the the info found here: https://www.atf.gov/file/100871/download "Under federal law, a person engaged in the business of dealing in firearms is a per-son who “devotes time, attention and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms.”

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • wcf4440wcf4440 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    A long time ago like in decades they did not FFL dealers to sell at shows. I can not recall when that changed but it was a ways back/

• hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭

New Ruling taking affect 8/24/2022

Is Changing the Wording to "to predominantly earn a profit"

Term "to predominantly earn a profit means the intent to underling the sale or distribution of firearms is predominantly one of obtaining pecuniary gain".

As apposed to other intents such as improving or liquidation a personal firearms collection.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******

Please update as/if needed. Thank you. @Spider7115