In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Knife/Forge ?

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in General Discussion
Minus the steel how much would it cost for the handles and finger guards to make a knife. Plus the epoxy or pins or what ever i use for the handle.

I have plenty of extra steel and i was thinking about a new hobby for 2019.

I saw some youtube videos and i can make a forge pretty cheap.

I was wondering about the rest of the parts. I have plenty of knives so i would like to make them for grandkids and friends.

I do not have a big budget anymore.[:(]

Comments

• babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you spend money on the knife parts, start with the
    forge and metal working skills.
    I know you will want to make a complete knife to get
    some gratification and sense of making something yourself, but
    you may not like doing it after all.

Here is a good suppler of knife items. https://usaknifemaker.com/?SID=ce417093a3df04fcc0f3d0eda74d414c
  • Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your questions are subjective Dave. What kind of materials are you considering?

Brass for guards can be had for as little as 8 bucks depending on size.

I just bought marine grade epoxy from Lowes for 5 bucks, which is enough to build about eight knives.

Handle material is all a personal preference. The range depends on what caliber build you are doing. There are tons of videos on making micarta (very cheap). My preference is some type of wood, so I have acquired the tools necessary for dying and stabilizing. Basic curly maple scales/blocks start at 6 bucks.

Standard round pin material is cheap, 1/4" x 12" is 2 bucks. All of the prices I've given are from Jantz (my favorite supplier).

https://www.knifemaking.com/default.asp

I cold work my blades from flat stock, and send them to an industrial heat treat source. Here's one on the file jig.

IwkDOCH.jpg?1

Ready for heat treat.
    gNG5EAr.jpg?1

Some scales just out of the vacuum chamber, headed for the oven.
    bNrUkdg.jpg?1
    BA6kTiZ.jpg?1