In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

TrinityScrimshaw

Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
edited November 2017 in General Discussion
Do you actually do scrimshaw? What's the story?

Just curious.

Comments

• Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read in another thread that you were looking for a Ruger Red Label. I too am considering buying one of these. What model do you like? What made you decide on one of these?

I have been considering the 12Ga 28" bbl model; I'm just waiting for a good deal to come my way. [:D]

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    I have on old leather gun belt that needs a new belt and some work on the holster. Are you interested in doing it??? If so, there is no time constraints and I want to pay you upfront for the work.I am in no rush to have the job done so think about it. I would send you the belt and you can look at it and give me some ideas. Oakie
    edited November -1
    Please send me your shipping address armilite10@yahoo.com
    edited November -1
    Do you do scrimshaw work? If so, I have a question about caring for ivory that has full color scrimshaw work on it.
    edited November -1
    I received my holster that you so generously gave to me today, I say holster, but it's more like a work of art than a holster. Thank you so much for your generosity. Now to clean the dust of my wallet and go buy a firearm that will fit it. Oh the horror of it [:D][:D][:D] But seriously, I've been thinking about buying a pistol small enough to carry, and this has made my mind up. Thank you

Thank you again for your generosity.
    Ed
    edited November -1
    Your work is beautiful. You put me in sports and i can hold my on.

I can not see in my head pictures to draw. Even when my Dad tried to teach me to play guitar i have no ear for music. My Dad could hear a song one time and play it. I never got past the holding the guitar because im left handed i wanted to hold it upside down. That ended the lesson. LOL

Now with work all you have to do is give me a machine and i can wire it up, run air to it, and run eathernet to the machine.

My granddaughter and i were drawing and she asked me to draw a cow. I drew a cow for her and then she said draw me a dog so i drew her a dog. After that she asked me to draw a cat so i drew her a cat.

She looked at all three and asked me why do they all look the same except some are bigger. They were all the same except for the size. The cow was the biggest. LOL

Its bad when a 5 year old talks junk about your drawing.

Congrats on your talent. I do not have that. I can catch a ball like crazy. Baseball or football it does not matter.
    edited November -1
    not to highjack the single action thread any further

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=689723

quote:Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw
    1911a1-fan,

If the hammer is down on a live round, you have to manually cock it for the first round to fire...single action style...after that it's rock & roll time...[:p]

Trinity +++

you are right, and you are wrong

a 1911 is only a single action, and should never have the hammer down on a live round EVER , the actions you describe does not alter the guns design, you just take extra unnecessary steps

not that i know anything about them [:D]
    edited November -1
    The turkey calls came today. Thanks again for your generousity, my son will put them to good use. Billy
    edited November -1
    The haversack got here yesterday. We've had company all week-end and a busy couple of days coming up. When I get it hung/displayed I will post pics.

Thank you again,

Lance
    edited November -1
    Just in case it gets to your junk folder, I sent you a message via GB.

Jon
    edited November -1
    You were saying that you don't have a mold gun for the 1911 to make holsters with

I bought one of these to train my draw with from Midway. It's less than $20 with shipping, they are the exact size and shape of a full-size 1911. I don't know if that'll work for you, but you might want to check it out

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/158673/cold-steel-1911-rubber-training-pistol?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Shooting - Range Accessories&utm_content=158673&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Shooting - Range Accessories-_-Cold Steel-_-158673&gclid=CjwKCAiAk4XUBRB5EiwAHBLUMbSsB6NlitakME-z5um9vZiyg3LRZiARv7LWWozG_eke9q4ufszb3hoCekIQAvD_BwE

Also you said you had some left-handed 1911 holsters on the shelf that you said you are having a hard time moving. Are any of them full size IWB? I might be interested in taking one off your hands if you put it on the auction side

Let me know if you would please
    edited November -1
    I have sent you an email Through The Gun Broker system, but as we all know, sometimes that does not work. let me know if you got it. If you didn't, I will post my email address here....

Thank you
    Ed
    edited November -1
    Hey....how are you feeling? Still laid up?

Enquiring minds want to know.
    edited November -1
    Sent you an email and I don't know if you got it or not. Let me know if you didn't.
    edited November -1
    How Are you Feeling this Am?
    I Was thinking of You been there Twice[:0]
    edited November -1
    I have been drooling over your leatherwork. It is beautiful.

I have often thought of trying my hand at it. Is it terribly difficult? Does it take years and years to get passably good?

Any good How-To books or other sources you could recommend?

Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Sir I am looking to try to make some leather knife sheaths for myself. I have no leather working experience but have admired your work here on GB. I was wondering if you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction as to a supplier for the leather and tools I would need as well as what leather and tools you would recommend. Thank you in advance, Ricci Wright.
    edited November -1
    I replied to your e-mail at your Army address but it was rejected as "User Unknown"
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I'm not Trinity, I will tell you to NOT use cast away weight lifting belts. Sweat = salt and that will ruin a blade in no time (don't ask me how I know. And NO, I didn't make the sheath)
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not Trinity too, but I can tell you you will come out money ahead and a lot less frustrated if you just commission Trinity to make them for you. Sheaths and holsters are a lot more labor intensive and time consuming than they look, especially if you're not good at it.

Some of it is a skill which can be learned. Some of it is a talent which you have to be born with.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take your checkbook and head for Tandy Leather.
    https://www.tandyleather.com/en/
    They have all kinds of leather working books and tools to build everything from a Cub Scout wallet to a A Fork saddle.
    For good stamping and carving leather, remember the name "Hermann Oak".

I'm sure Trinity be along shortly to start schooling you.

Mule
    edited November -1
    Thank's Bud!! I just ordered a copy.quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey

Any of the Stohlman books are good for starters,,,,,,i.e. the below,,,,,

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Hand-Sewing-Leather/dp/1892214911/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1512087521&sr=1-1&refinements=p_27:Al+Stohlman
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey

Any of the Stohlman books are good for starters,,,,,,i.e. the below,,,,,

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Hand-Sewing-Leather/dp/1892214911/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1512087521&sr=1-1&refinements=p_27:Al+Stohlman

Thanks Bill, I had been beating my brain trying to think of the name of the books.
    . We have several of their books over in FIL's old leather shop.
    Rocco thinks he doesn't have enough to do cleaning guns, can't wait to see what he has to say about working leather [:D]
    Maybe he will braid us up a couple of rawhide headstalls to fit mules along with a nice set of reins with big pineapples and a fancy Romel.

Mule
    edited November -1
    No elk here except in the zoo in Ashboro but there are some long horn cows down the road apiece.
    edited November -1
    Hijack in progress.
    Hey Bill, nice stitching horse, far nicer than ours, but ours does have a wooden seat.
    But what is that oversized cartridge on the shelf just to the right?

Mule
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dpmule
    Hijack in progress.
    Hey Bill, nice stitching horse, far nicer than ours, but ours does have a wooden seat.

Mule

,,,,,,600 Nitro Express,,,,,,,the one on the left in the plastic bag is a 7.82 Warbird ,,,,,

what do you think he used to get the elk antlers
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dpmule
    Hijack in progress.

Mule

,,,,,,600 Nitro Express,,,,,,,the one on the left in the plastic bag is a 7.82 Warbird ,,,,,

Nice, you got a Wesley Richards double that it fits in? [:D]
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am Trinity...[:D]

Ricci, there is a lot of good information giving here so far. I also would recommend checking out Tandy Leather like dpmule said.

Like mentioned above I use a lot of Stohlman books in my work.

I get a lot of my stuff from Tandy. They have some knife patterns, not many, but they also sale a pattern kit with a lot of different styles of sheaths.

Sheaths are a fairly simple way to start doing leathercraft. You can make a nice sheath with just one piece of scrap leather, and one stitch line.

When stitching I use a synthetic sinew thread mostly. It last a lot longer than a cotton based or poly thread. It can melt also, and makes for a secure end to the thread line.

Unlike forgemonkey, I don't use a stitching pony. I have one, but I personally don't like using it. I think is a creature of habit thing. I didn't learn to use one when I started working leather, and when I got it, I didn't like the change. That being said, it's a good thing to try and start using from the get go.

Tools to be used is an entirely different post. We could type for hours about what you could or must use...[^] here are a few pictures of my shop, and just some of the tools I use.

A2aurq.jpg

lpMC3I.jpg

Good luck, and if you need anymore help send me an email at (whitmirelm@gmail.com)

Trinity +++
    edited November -1
    Thank you gentleman. You too forgemonkey. [:)]