In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Underage hunters

dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
edited December 2017 in General Discussion
Yup exactly what many thought would happen did in Wisconsin. At least ten parents took advantage of the elimination of the age limit and bought a license for a child UNDER a year old. Thats right. UNDER a year old... Since the game and fish cant do anything about it I hope social services does.

Comments

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's only an issue of the parent shot something and used the infant's tag on it. Then of course they can be charged. It's not hard to investigate that and take care of it. If they are that big of an idiot they deserve what they get.

Some of them may have just been buying the tag as a souvenir, or they may be buying it to show the state how the new law can be used.
  • boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most every state game & fish department is strapped for cash. Pretty soon you'll be able to buy one for your dog.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doesnt mean a damn thing. They may have done it for a joke or just to say they had a license for x number of years! Might be stupid enough to just get another tag, hope that works for them.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In some states you can buy a lifetime hunting/fishing license. The younger the child is, the less the fee is. If that was the case here, I would buy my children a lifetime license soon after they were born.

I started them an IRA and educational 529 when they were 3 weeks old why not a lifetime hunting/fishing license... Pretty sure the state isnt going to issue a tag to a 6 month old ...
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Wisconsin a 4 year old shot a deer and 5 five year olds tagged one.
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In NYS you can buy a Lifetime Hunting License for any age child from 1 month and up. They cant legally hunt though until they take the Hunting course at age 11 then purchase a license at age 12.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    had a pickup load of orange cruising twp roads checking gates to see where they could get out ....i stayed around and spoiled their try till they drove off somewhere else..signs and purple paint mean nothing
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "UNDER a year old"..........As long as the kid is along the parent can shoot a deer for the kid, 'group' hunting is legal in Wis.
  • drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    "UNDER a year old"..........As long as the kid is along the parent can shoot a deer for the kid, 'group' hunting is legal in Wis.

And he or she should be "afield", armed and wearing orange within hailing distance of the shooter.
  • M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    I don't need the govt. to tell me when my boy or girl is ready to hunt. I will decide that. My son wanted to hunt last year when he was 13 yrs old. I have been teaching him gun safety and how to shoot for a number of years.

He was not ready.

My main concerns were does he realize that once the trigger is pulled and the bullet leaves the barrel there is no changing your mind? Does he understand that bullets can kill people? Does he realize that as hunters we are responsible for killing the animal quickly and humanely?[?]

This year at 14 yrs old he was ready to hunt, and he did.[:)]

I don't care what the govt. says, I know when my child is ready to handle a firearm and when they are capable of using a firearm to hunt deer.

Every kid is different, yours might be able to shoot a deer at 10 yrs old or younger. That is a decision for the parents to make.

Just don't be a friggin' idiot and ruin it for all of us trying to prove how your kid can handle a firearm and hunt when it is just an ego trip for you![:(!]
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our state frequently adds an additional charge of "failure to apply a drug tax stamp", when the bad guys are caught with meth, heroin, etc.

I always wondered who would buy the tax stamp and apply it to their meth stash in order to avoid the charge.
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started taking my Boys with me to the deer blind just about the same time they become good potty trained. My youngest son ""now 26"" killed his first deer at 6 using a ruger 44magnum carbine. If a father wanted to buy HIS child a license,,,I have no problem with it
  • diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nine year old daughter has been hunting with me since she was potty trained. Ear plugs and muffs. She's been shooting a Browning mini bolt .22 for years, killed rabbits and opossums with it.

Killed her first deer last year with a youth in-line muzzleloader, and her second deer this year with the same.

She has safety drilled in as second nature, and has mentioned other people should pay attention to where they're pointing a firearm.

My three year old daughter tags along when it's warm enough.

In Iowa, there's no party hunting for youth tags. Only regular shotgun deer tags can party hunt.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    In some states you can buy a lifetime hunting/fishing license. The younger the child is, the less the fee is. If that was the case here, I would buy my children a lifetime license soon after they were born.

I started them an IRA and educational 529 when they were 3 weeks old why not a lifetime hunting/fishing license... Pretty sure the state isnt going to issue a tag to a 6 month old ...

Donna and I also started an educational fund for Chris, when he was born. By the time he was in college, we had it all paid for!!! Thank god for Donna. [;)]