In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wrist Watch

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in General Discussion
Anyone here wear a wrist watch? What kind etc...looking for something new...I have a Rolodex , and Seiko, I need one that's waterproof and shock resistant...as well as stainless and numerical numbers(Dial Face) any suggestions..?

Comments

• M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    I have a Citizen Eco-Drive, I wear it to Church. It uses light to charge the battery. Stainless wrist band and roman numeral face with date. I have had it for around 15 years, no problems. I like it.[:)]
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    G Shock. Comes in tons of different varieties and colors. I have a Flat Dark Earth one and get lots of compliments on it. Not as pretty as a Rolex, Tag Heuer or Breitling but also doesn?t cost $5000.
  • breddyrrtbreddyrrt Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Luminox. Light weight and extremely durable. Also love those Eco Drive. No battery to replace.
  • scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I?ve gotten into Michael Kors watches for dress and casual.
    Look at the Michael Kors Mens MK8569. It should meet your requirements.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still have a rolodex, it sits on my desk in the basement. Most of the people in it are dead or no longer at the number I have for them...

I do have a very nice Seiko Georgia Tech watch that my Mom gave me for graduation... It does not get worn much.
  • AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My two favorites are my Omega Speedmaster and Tissot.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I've got a Poljot like the cosmonauts wore on the Soyuz missions.
    100% mechanical and works in zero gravity.
    They were cheap when they first starting exporting them, but like the VOMZ rifle scopes, the word about the quality got around PDQ.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wear an inexpensive TIMEX Indiglo WR30M just like this one.

Battery powered, I adjust the time twice a year when the time change occurs. Keeps perfect time.

81J1cRng%2B8L._UY879_.jpg
  • oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wear a Luminox every day. Light weight, waterproof and durable, easy to read.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a longine wittenauer that has been with me a long time...

It's about as thick as a nickel and currently has a slim ostrich leather band...

I (well before the cancer and chemo and such) wore it to weddings and funerals and special events...

I have a few lesser watches one that's decent but most are cheap.

The cell phone with its omnipresence kind of hurt a big section of the watch market.

I always wanted to get a good pocket watch...

Longine has a good reputation and has been around forever

Worth looking at their entry level pieces

Mike
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Traser-P5900-H3-Tritium-Watch
    I just got one of these and it's lightweight and has tridium hands so even at deer camp at 5 am you can read it. I got a NATO band and it's the cats pjs
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOL
    the subject came up at a meeting I was in several years ago one fellow who liked to have pricier watches had just bought one
    and was showing the group and comment the cost ( i really do not remember what $$ amount he said ) one other fellow ask what time do you have, he called out the time the fellow asking held up his watch and stated--Timex $22.00 at Walmart and it has the same time [:0][:0]

quote:Originally posted by retroxler58

Battery powered, I adjust the time twice a year when the time change occurs. Keeps perfect time.

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58

That's the same watch I wear. I changed out the band to a Speidel because I kept breaking the cheap ones they come with. Keeps great time.
  • wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    I still have a rolodex, it sits on my desk in the basement. Most of the people in it are dead or no longer at the number I have for them...

I do have a very nice Seiko Georgia Tech watch that my Mom gave me for graduation... It does not get worn much.

[;)]
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

Ahhhh you caught that huh!....just funning...Your right about the dead folks......I have some numbers 40 years old...what do you think?...LOL! I like Seiko,and Rolex Oyster...mine stays in the safe,my son wants me to will it to him...
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    Once had a Polex sub,when I retired I gave it to a coworker, except for funerals I haven't worn a watch since. [^]
    (got my dad's old Elgin for that)
  • gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Rolex and a seiko and don?t wear either one.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,278 ******
    edited November -1
    I wore a watch for so long that I have a permanent wrist imprint that never goes away! [:0] My wife teases me about the watch tattoo on my left wrist all the time.

I have several good watches but never wear them anymore.

My favorite used to be my Swiss Army watch that I got by saving Marlboro coupons! It sits in my dresser drawer in need of a new battery.

I have a Rolex that was a gift from my wife's Sicilian cousin. Big Tony. Not sure if it is real or not but keep it out of respect (and fear) for her Family. [:)]
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I collect watches. I have about 25. I like Seiko and Citizen for dress up. I have Citizen watches that run on light and Seiko watches that run on movement.

Look into a Swiss Army Watch. Perfect for everyday beat up and waterproof to 330 meters i think. Thats a little bit further than i can go. lol

If you buy it and do not like it i will buy if from you. I am that confident.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/victorinox-swiss-army-mens-original-black-nylon-strap-watch-39mm-249088?ID=1760176&pla_country=US&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120156340001317217&CAAGID=410

You can find better prices somewhere else.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wear a cheap S & W watch I bought from the Sportsman's Guide for around $20. I've had it for a couple of years and guess what?? it keeps perfect time.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Casio G-Shock.

I have noticed many of the millennials do not wear watches anymore. Ask them for the time and they pull out their E device.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do have a stainless Steel victornox Swiss army watch somewhere that I picked up but never wore much as it was a bit heavy...

Bought it through SMKW once upon a time if I remember correctly.

Working in warehouses for a long time - you tend to destroy watches by accident or circumstance so I stopped wearing them as a precaution witch broke the habit...

I did have a string of watches with no wrist bands but instead carabiner clips - I would clip to a belt loop

They were all pretty cheap though and all died or got destroyed or lost I think

If I had the means I guess I would spend some money and go longine again...

And maybe a decent pocket watch - probably a vintage one with a silver case - maybe in the $100-$300 range if a nice one could be acquired

Casey / locust fork has auctioned off a few good examples that ended in that price range I think

No longine fans or appreciators or cognoscenti on the forum???

Remember when the cross style silver case ink pens with pocket clips came out with the digital clock display LCD on them???

And I am told that the calculator watches from the late 70's and early 80's are now collectable and sought after

Had some swatch watch variants in highschool

Rolex might be neat if bought used and vintage and in nice shape and a cheaper entry level model found at a low budget price

Mike
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I go to Walmart and buy a $10 watch every couple years. I beat it to pieces, it keeps great time, works good, loaded with gadgets and throw it away when the screen gets all scratched up beyond reading or the battery goes. Then I go buy another one. I have a Seiko somewhere that is not nearly as good as the Walmart ones.
  • m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just bought this solar g-shock gst-110d. Got it 140.00 off list price on amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-VcGWRoz_o
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,133 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still have the manual wind watch my Dad bought me from a pawn shop when I graduated grade school. I got this one a new crystal and a good cleaning last year. Runs perfectly.

sSt8GFQl.jpg

Since then, I've gone through Seikos, Timex, and a variety of other inexpensive wrist and pocket watches. About the only time I wear any at all now is when I'm fishing (time seems to get away from me when fishing) or dress events.

FCD, I have an Indiglo where only the Indiglo function works. Maybe we could put your and mine together and get one working and one dead one!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been wearing Timex DataLink watches since 1997. I keep phone numbers, birthdays and anniversaries on it.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still have an old timex self winding, not even sure if you can still get them or if they still make them. have had to put more crystal/faces in it than I can remember. it is slowing down some or it may be me, [;)], but still keeps time close enough to get me to my doctor appts on time, guess that is all a person needs.
  • fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You forgot GunBroker.[8D]

I have noticed many of the millennials do not wear watches anymore. Ask them for the time and they pull out their E device.
    [/quote]

One of the greatest gifts I can think of would be the gift of one whole week without cell phones or mobile devices! No advance warning, just shut the infernal things off...every last one of them, then step back and watch the absolute meltdown. Millennials would be the the first to completely lose it. They'd be out in the streets rioting within hours, they simply cannot exist without these devices (which makes me want to vomit!). No access to Fail-Book, Instagram...Tweets...OH...MY...GAWD, the sky is definitely falling, and falling fast!

Off-topic, I know, but one can dream, right?

[/quote]
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have never worn a watch in my adult life. first reason was for safety as i was a machinist and things like watches/rings and moving equipment don't interact well. secondly i hate anything resembling long sleeves. even my hoodies i slide the arms up near to my elbows. now being retired i don't give a crap what time of the day it is. sunshine/darkness works just fine at my pace now
  • hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had nice watches over the years.

But my every day is a Seiko Scuba watch.

Have had it on daily for the last 20 years only replace the battery twice, and no loss time at all.

Thy call it the Tuna Can. 1.75 across and Weighs in at 7 ounces.

seiko_scuba_diver.jpg
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Nope I'm one of those people that put a watch on and it stops working. Just use my Cell phone now.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Today, zodiac automatic stainless steel with tachymetre function.

When I get home, I?ll swap for a solar Casio I bought for under $20 on Amazon.
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    G Shock. Comes in tons of different varieties and colors. I have a Flat Dark Earth one and get lots of compliments on it. Not as pretty as a Rolex, Tag Heuer or Breitling but also doesn?t cost $5000.

WoW: bought a Rolex Oyster with stainless steel case, gold bezel stainless band with gold links for $250, new in 1966/7. Should have bought two, or maybe six.
    Would have been a better investment than any of the cars I bought, dollar per dollar.

Buy the "cheapest" electronic watch walmart makes, plastic wrist band, BIG numbers/date. Less than 20 bucks. Buy a new watch every year, cost $200 for ten years. Might only cost $100 if I'd put new batteries in them but batteries aren't free.

Want a face with big numbers,, for sure, not digital? Got to pay a little more at Walmart. But you get a real leather band with Indiglo dial light. Can testify the indiglo lighting is the best I've found. Still to expensive $29.95 on sale includes three dollar discount.
    timex_date_big.JPG
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    I have this one and love it. Been wearing it for years and years now. The only downside is it takes two separate batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Timex-T56371-Ironman-Triathlon-Digital/dp/B0002291TW

Fits all your criteria too.[:)]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fossil (great watch)
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a few Seiko auto-winders and a couple of Citizen Eco-Drives.

Pretty much only wear a titanium Eco-Drive. Switch to a gold colored one when I put on a suit or sport coat.

Could never see value in spending more than $ 100.00 for a watch.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I wear a watch it's one of my great grandpa's in my watch pocket. Real men don't wear wrist watches or at least that's the way people felt back before WWI. Then when soldiers came home after the war wearing wrist watches it became acceptable. Just a little history for you kiddies. [;)]

image.jpg

image.jpg
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Lumi-Nox a few years ago.A guy I worked with just happened to buy one about the same time.Within 6 months both watches had stopped working with problems that made them not worth repairing.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a phone.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!