In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

625 days and 125 lbs later...

Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in General Discussion
625 days ago, my doctor yelled at me. My weight has been an issue for a long time, but he said if I didn't lose the weight by the time I was 60, I wouldn't lose it period. Apparently weighing 400 lbs isn't good for overall health and longevity. Who Knew? I thought the trade-off was that I was damn stable in a high wind.

Later that day I had coffee with my friend Lynn and she said 'There's An App For That'! She told me about an app that allowed you to set a goal, it gives you a calorie budget, and then helps you figure out what calories are in what you eat. When you start tracking what you eat, it can be surprising and a learning experience. I had a fish filet & rice thing that I made for lunch quite often. The fish was 100 calories. The olive oil and bit of butter that I cooked it in was 200 calories. Solution? Cook it in a little Pam and its back to 100 calories...and tastes the same. Lots of discoveries and paying attention.

I set a goal of getting down to 275 lbs. Today I reached it.

It is ironic that it is today, because one year ago today I had lost 60 lbs, cut my cholesterol 2/3, and lowered my blood pressure significantly...I thought maybe losing that much weight and getting the other stuff under control might earn me a Cosmic Pat-On-The-Back. Apparently not.

At midnight Halloween Night 2017 I had a heart attack. Sort of the Cosmic Kick-in-the-* Chris is more used to...

With the great care of the crew at Clackamas Fire Station 14 and the AMR ambulance guys, I got a nice ride to the hospital, they stuck another stent in my ticker, and I was back in business. Except I scared the Begeezuz out of my wife, my son, my Mom...maybe myself a little. So I continued with my plan and the weight continued to drop off. Not as fast as at first, but still dropping.

So 625 days and 125 lbs later, I reached my goal. And set a new one. Another 50 lbs sounds doable. If there is a 'deep lesson' learned, it is that you have to do a simple thing: **Eat less. Move more.** That's it. As I have traveled this path, I have had many conversations with people also trying to lose weight, and that is the only thing that works. It also helps to be a stubborn, pig headed Swede who has been known to be a teensy tiny bit obsessive about reaching goals once set.

Thanks to my family, my friends, and all the others for the encouragement and kind words. Thanks to the crews at Clackamas Fire and AMR for the Second Chance.

Happy Halloween, Folks. A year ago I didn't know if I was going to get to say that again.

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good for you!

You have got to feel better.
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    Good for you!

You have got to feel better.

I do. A few months ago I went to have coffee with a friend and when I got to the door I realized that I had just walked across the parking lot.

It sounds silly, but after doing my Fat-Old-Man-with-Two-Bad-Knees Hobble for so many years, it was kinda nice.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Awesome accomplishment congrats!
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats, 125 lbs is another person! I lost 180 lbs of shrew redhead, and I feel a lot better too.[:D]
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,258 ******
    edited November -1
    Well done man! I'm on my own journey down... again.[:(]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******
    edited November -1
    I commend you for your strength and will power! So many people go the easy surgical route and often even fail at that!

Cheers to your good health and a long life wished for you!
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keeping cholesterol down is very important. Clogged arteries and reduced blood flow hasn't helped anyone live a longer healthier life.

Cholesterol, liked the animation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLonh7ZesKs

Was going to post a photo of a stent inserted but I'm positive you already know.[:D]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would LOVE to shed 50 pounds. Being a road warrior sales guy makes lunch a big problem for me. I do not like cold lunches, I want a healthy warm meal. That is hard to manage.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good job. Keep at it, never quit, never give up. You look in the mirror and see living proof that you can accomplish anything!
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats! Bet it is easier climbing steps. At least a little easier.

It took me 18 months to lose 30 pounds, and with the weather getting cold, I'm under pressure to bulk up on carbs. I keep ignoring the donuts and stopped eating french fries. But give me a pineapple, and I eat the whole thing. I guess I can gain weight eating too much of a good thing. [:D]
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That so called doctor is a quack. Hasn't he heard of meth? People of all ages lose weight on that stuff.

So celebratory Monte Cristo? The sandwich [:p][:p][:p].
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good work, Chris![^] When you're ready to get back on the skis give me a holler, we'll go hit Tumbleoff!
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I?m proud of you son. Congratulations.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations !! Folks like you are an inspiration.

I'm 6"'4", 340 now. and need a bunch more to go. With two new knees and a walking , biking and pool swimming program, I'm down about 100 lbs in the last 2 years. And blood sugar in almost normal.

I need to get down at least another 100 more, but getting tougher to do.
    Thanks.
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found a video of an aerobic exercise that is guaranteed to make the pounds roll off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_94viw75ulc

Good Luck [:)]
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats on reaching a significant goal!
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    Congratulations Brother, that is Awesome!!

It took determination to do that. Good job Sir.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bubba Jr.
    I found a video of an aerobic exercise that is guaranteed to make the pounds roll off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_94viw75ulc

Good Luck [:)]

That ol' kid doesn't have legs, he's got springs!! I wonder what you'd get if you crossed him with one of those River Dance gals??
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WTG and keep up the good work
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,992 ******
    edited November -1
    Congrats to you,that's a HUGE accomplishment,,,
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WTG and keep up the good work
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent work.
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    Congrats to you,that's a HUGE accomplishment,,,

2nd that
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Proud of you Chris...[^] Working on my own fight..
  • Options
    breddyrrtbreddyrrt Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That?s awesome. Congratulations
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the kind words. Like Bruce, my weight gain started when I went from actually doing honest work on projects to being the office weenie running the show. Traveling means eating in restaurants and that means fat, calories, sugar... everything you shouldn't have.

With my knees being garbage for so long it has gotten to be a downward spiral. My weight didn't help the knees, which means you don't exercise, which means you gain weight, which doesn't help the knees...

My exercise for the last year and a half has been projects around the house. I can't stand 'working out'. It drives me nuts, so I have rebuilt my shop, replaced the wooden fence, built a fire pit area, built the neighbor's gate to match the new fence. Right now I am finishing the remodel of the wife's laundry room.

Not sure what next. But I am always happiest when I am tackling a project, so I will think of something.

Again, thanks for the encouragement. It means a lot.
  • Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats man!
    I know there's a thousand apps for that, (samsung health, my plate, etc.)
    Which did you use?
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations to you on a whole lot of hard work. You've done wonders for your health. Well done.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sxsnuf
    Congrats man!
    I know there's a thousand apps for that, (samsung health, my plate, etc.)
    Which did you use?

It's called Lose It! To be honest, I have never looked at any others. I just started using this one and it's pretty handy. The keyword search function and bar code scan let you find the info for what you eat.