In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Santa Fe Jungle Carbine

tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
..Along with an original, I have an Enfield Jungle Carbine built by Golden State/Santa Fe arms. I need a rear sight for the Santa Fe. It's different from the other Enfields. Any Ideas?...Thanks.

Comments

• ampartsamparts Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When Golden State Arms (the first one) made these they used both No 1 and No 4 style rifles. Originals were only made on the No 4 style action and the sight is only marked to 800 yards. Which style do you have.
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by amparts
    When Golden State Arms (the first one) made these they used both No 1 and No 4 style rifles. Originals were only made on the No 4 style action and the sight is only marked to 800 yards. Which style do you have.

..I'll have to dig it out and use a magnifier. It's just been taking
    up space in the back of the safe. It's in very nice condition, unlike
    the original that looks like it was stored in an Indian basement for
    50 years.
    edited November -1
    ..Finally got the carbine out. The receiver bridge is split where the stripper clips slide in. The bridge is drilled out side to side for a rear sight.
    ..The right side is stamped as follows:

Enfield
    S-LE The dash could be MT, HT or NT.
    III*

..It looks like the roll stamp was worn.

..Obviously, I don't know squat about British Enfields. Any help
    would be much appreciated. Overall, the gun is in great condition. The wood and steel are near flawless. Just need a rear sight!
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dale try Sarco & Hoosier Gun Works. They both had #5 rear sights listed as of late Saturday night.

This is what I have on mine. I don't think it is a Santa Fe one though at least it isn't marked as such. I think Santa Fe took any old Enfields they could find and converted them. You may have to try and figure out what yours originally was and go from there.

Also I noticed that there were people on other boards looking for them as well. Are you on any of those other boards???

[img][/img]MVC-AAAAJUNGLECAR.jpg

Okay so I let you talk me into taking my scope off so I could give you a better picture of what I have.

[img][/img]MVC-AAAAJUNGLECAR1.JPG
    edited November -1
    ..Is the receiver bridge just behind your scope mount where it would take strippers? If so, mine is open down the middle and drilled side to side for a rear sight, while still able to take strippers.
    ..Mine doesn't have those "humps" where your rear sight is mounted.
    I have pics but I just can't find them and I haven't figured out how to get them from a new camera to the computer.
    edited November -1
    Dale here is another shot from the front. I'm pretty sure those humps are what is referred to as the milled rear sight. I don't believe mine is set up to use stripper clips and I can't ever recall seeing them.

Another place you could try is Springfield Sporters in PA. I think their still in business and they used to stock a ton of Enfield parts.

[img][/img]MVC-AAAAJUNGLECAR2.jpg
    edited November -1
    .Thanks much Curt. I appreciate you looking into it. If I can manage to get the pics from camera to computer to Photobucket it would be helpful. The old camera was no problem. Your pics were helpful in that I can see the vastly different shaped receivers.
    ..I tried Hoosier and I'll check elsewhere. If I need your help, is it okay to contact you through GB? Thanks again.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tapwater
    .Thanks much Curt. I appreciate you looking into it. If I can manage to get the pics from camera to computer to Photobucket it would be helpful. The old camera was no problem. Your pics were helpful in that I can see the vastly different shaped receivers.
    ..I tried Hoosier and I'll check elsewhere. If I need your help, is it okay to contact you through GB? Thanks again.

Sure no problem if I can find out any more I'll get back to you. It would probably help a whole lot more if you can figure out your camera/computer, it shouldn't be to difficult.
    edited November -1
    ..No it shouldn't be hard but I'm computer-illiterate. Old camera had a cord--plug it in and follow the prompts. I'll get one of my sons over to give me a hand.
  • ampartsamparts Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you have is not an original Jungle Carbine but one made up by Golden State Arms from much older guns. It will not accept the correct Jungle Carbine rear sight...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by amparts
    What you have is not an original Jungle Carbine but one made up by Golden State Arms from much older guns. It will not accept the correct Jungle Carbine rear sight...

..Yes, I know that. Being a "mocked up" one makes it harder to
    find the one that would fit. If you can decipher the markings
    I said were on the receiver, knowing what it was built on may
    be of help.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tapwater
    ..No it shouldn't be hard but I'm computer-illiterate. Old camera had a cord--plug it in and follow the prompts. I'll get one of my sons over to give me a hand.

If this helps don't know if you have this type of set up but my camera uses a memory card that I put into a slot in my printer. I go into my control panel on the computer and download it into my computer and then it goes to paint and then the file (picture) is saved.