In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Those Damn Obsolete Kerosene Heaters -

84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
edited January 2019 in General Discussion
Around 10* out very windy. (Wind chill -20?) Headed down to around -5* with a wind chill of -35.

Power has been out for a couple hours now. Woodstove has been cranked since I got home around 4pm. After about an hour, when it became obvious that the power was not coming back on shortly, fired up the Kerosene Heater. (Almost lowest setting possible.)

Toasty warm inside, between the two. My pipes WILL freeze if I can not drip some water overnight, so kinda stressing about that.

I do not envy those Power Co. crews.

Comments

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    Do you have heat tape on your water lines??
    Be careful leaving water drip,as you can freeze your drain lines causing another problem.
    Keep a source of fresh/makeup air available continuously.
    Stay warm,stay safe.
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck with the pipes. Have to see how my BIL is making out he is in Knoxville.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    Do you have heat tape on your water lines??
    Be careful leaving water drip,as you can freeze your drain lines causing another problem.
    Keep a source of fresh/makeup air available continuously.
    Stay warm,stay safe.

Heat tape won't work very good when the power is out...

And I'd run your water at more than just a drip, or you could freeze up your lines. If it's running slowly , it won't freeze over, just like a stream won't freeze over
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    1/2" PVC pipes under the house where I can not access them to insulate. (Not enough room to reach them via the crawl space, that goes down to around 6" where the pipes are located.

They must have framed in the floor, then stepped through the framing to run the plumbing. Most idiotic thing I have ever seen.

If my PVC pipes freeze and crack, I am royally screwed.

Yes, I know to run a somewhat fine stream, not a drip.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Generator is your friend when power is out and well needs to run
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have 3 generators standing by...newest not used yet is a 7500 watt engine on propane .....never worry about gasoline crudding up...looking for the rite sized propane tank that i can mount both on a small wagon and pull it around shop....will put 15' small battery cables with clamp ends to start from a vehicle battery...all the small batteries like lawn mower size never seem to last very long...no gas or battery to go bad....choice of 4 vehicle, 1 truck, and 4 tractors to start
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Mr. Generator is your friend when power is out and well needs to run

I have a new generator, that I have never set up, that I can fuel up and connect to the booster pump in the basement if I have to.

Yes, the generator will be outside.

I am hopeful the power will come back on in the next hour or two. If not, I will be doing what I have to do.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    leave cabinet doors open under sinks to allow warm air in there.
  • 76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got my kerosene heater fueled up for night #2 of temps at least -20?F, probably got closer to -30?F last night and maybe the same tonight. Temps in the basement last night were about 36/37? around my water pipes, so fired up the kerosene heater and let it run all night. Will do the same later tonight, probably won't freeze but not taking the chance.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    leave cabinet doors open under sinks to allow warm air in there.

I hear you Brother, but it will be the pipes under the house, that will be freezing.
  • ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hang in there Ken. Any idea what took the power out?
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dislike crawl spaces and am embarassed to admit I have built 2 houses with crawl spaces. On the other hand I built two with full basement.
    It costs very little extra to go from a crawl space to a full basment, usually 5 courses more of block, that is 40 inches, will do the job.

And a 6 inch crawl space? Stupid builder, really stupid.
    At least the crawl spaces I built are 40 inches you really can crawl around down there. Still stupid at 40 inches, build a full basement dammit.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    I dislike crawl spaces and am embarassed to admit I have built 2 houses with crawl spaces. On the other hand I built two with full basement.
    It costs very little extra to go from a crawl space to a full basment, usually 5 courses more of block, that is 40 inches, will do the job.

And a 6 inch crawl space? Stupid builder, really stupid.
    At least the crawl spaces I built are 40 inches you really can crawl around down there. Still stupid at 40 inches, build a full basement dammit.

Crawl space starts at perhaps 30 inches where you access the entry door to crawl in. It narrows down to apprx. 6" where the pipes are located. You can get maybe 10-15' away. (Front half of the house.) Back half of the house has a full unfinished basement with an outside access door.

Chris, With the wind being up, and in a very rural, curvy tight road in to our holler, the usual culprit is a tree down.
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes hang in there Brother. Another 18 months or so and you and the dog can move to the assisted living village and everything will be better. Maybe you will meet a nice lady there who can remove her teeth at night. And on Sundays the short bus will take you and your new friends to Taco Bell or KFC for din din at around 3:30.
  • Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hope all turns out ok. I know it is not usual to get those cold temps down there. I feel for you sir.
    It is -20 here right now, insane cold. But I am prepared for it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cling2myguns
    Hope all turns out ok. I know it is not usual to get those cold temps down there. I feel for you sir.

Actually here in the mountains of extreme NE tip of TN, W. NC., it is not that unusual. Boone, NC has multiple Ski resorts. Stone throw from where I live.
  • Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    quote:Originally posted by Cling2myguns

Actually here in the mountains of extreme NE tip of TN, W. NC., it is not that unusual. Boone, NC has multiple Ski resorts. Stone throw from where I live.

So how much higher elevation are you than Johnson City?
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    If your foundation is sealed so that no cold air can enter the crawl space, your pipes will not freeze.
    I guarantee it.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks

If it's running slowly , it won't freeze over, just like a stream won't freeze over

vkqZsGP.jpg
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hahahahaha. That?s funny right there.
    edited November -1
    Niagra falls, but sometimes it doesn?t.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GreatGuns
    And rem has never been to Montana in the middle of winter. [:D]

I got $1,000 it says you're wrong... Would you like to bet?????????

In fact GiGi, I'll bet my house that I live in now that's worth approximately 200,000 against your new little shiny sports car.... Well, are you going to put your money where your mouth is....or are you just somebody that likes to flap your lips... Which is it.[:D]

For somebody that THINKS they know so much about me, you know so little....[;)]

By the way GiGi, I'm just playing with you, I know you're not stupid enough to bet on something that you know nothing about.............
    But I'm hoping that you are..[}:)][^]
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Yeah, it's definitely news to me that a flowing stream can't freeze over.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35 Whelen

It looks like I'll have to clarify what I meant for the less intelligent people here on the forum from now on...[;)]

I understand but it's all my bad, I overestimated the intelligence of the people here....[:D]
    edited November -1

It looks like I'll have to clarify what I meant for the less intelligent people here on the forum from now on...[;)]

I thought you didn't want to be considered a "braggard" here? But, yes, please clarify the below, since it's what you posted, verbatim, completely lacking any context whatsoever.

"If it's running slowly , it won't freeze over, just like a stream won't freeze over."
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
    edited November -1

I thought you didn't want to be considered a braggard here?

I don't, understanding that there are less intelligent people here on the forum it's not bragging.... On the contrary, it shows that I under estimaed the stupidity of a few people here... Which by the way, shows my weak spot. Which is not bragging, it's just admitting that I do have a weak spot...[;)]

And pointing out my weak spots is by far bragging[:D][;)]
    edited November -1

I don't, understanding that there are less intelligent people here on the forum it's not bragging.... On the contrary, it shows that I under estimaed the stupidity of a few people here... Which by the way, shows my weak spot. Which is not bragging, it's just admitting that I do have a weak spot...[;)]

Oh there is no question regarding the weak spot. The rest has yet to be determined.
    edited November -1

Oh there is no question regarding the weak spot. The rest has yet to be determined.

[:D] I think it already has... Hence my admitting my weak spot about under estimating the stupidity of a few people here[}:)][8D][;)][:D]
    edited November -1
    You don't want to be considered a "braggard" here, or "share a whole lot about yourself", by immediately bragging about what your home is worth, and bragging about how smart you are. Obviously this is not only a first for you, but also something that will never, ever happen again.

A wise move admitting to that weak spot, though.
    edited November -1
    You don't want to be considered a "braggard" here, or "share a whole lot about yourself", by immediately bragging about what your home is worth, and bragging about how smart you are. Obviously this is not only a first for you, but also something that will never, ever happen again.

Admitting that my house is only worth $200,000 in my area is far from bragging about. It's actually on the lower end of the scale.... It's just a humble little 2 bedroom starter home... And only has 750 square feet. But it does serve my purposes I'm a 60 year old man that lives by himself, and has no immediate need for anything bigger. In fact if I could downsize I wanted to... But then I would have to rent. Not bragging... Just saying. Bragging would be a 60 year old man living by himself in a 4000 square foot house that's worth a couple million dollars in my area...

So now what???? I"m sure you'll have something less than stellar to add, as usual....

And by the way, if you want to try to beat me up, you ought to stop trying to hijack somebody else's thread And start your own thread on bashing me...

By the way, if you didn't notice that there was no smiley after this post... For the less intelligent here, there's a reason for that...
    edited November -1

Admitting that my house is only worth $200,000 in my area is far from bragging about. It's actually on the lower end of the scale.... It's just a humble little 2 bedroom starter home... And only has 750 square feet. But it does serve my purposes I'm a 60 year old man that lives by himself, and has no immediate need for anything bigger. In fact if I could downsize I wanted to... But then I would have to rent. Not bragging... Just saying. Bragging would be a 60 year old man living by himself in a 4000 square foot house that's worth a couple million dollars in my area...

So now what??????

I believe you were about to say something about how slowly-running streams can't freeze over, or was there nothing to add there but conjecture? Now what? Now comes the part where this thread possibly gets back on track, unless there's more you'd like to add without any context. The last attempt didn't appear to go quite as you'd planned, so now would be a great opportunity to further explain, beyond "hurr durr I'm smarter than everyone".

And based on your edit, you seem to forget exactly who derailed this thread to begin with.[;)]
    edited November -1

So now what??????

I believe you were about to say something about how slowly-running streams can't freeze over, or was there nothing to add there but conjecture? Now what? Now comes the part where this thread possibly gets back on track, unless there's more you'd like to add without any context. The last attempt didn't appear to go quite as you'd planned, so now would be a great opportunity to further explain, beyond "hurr durr I'm smarter than everyone".

And based on your edit, you seem to forget exactly who derailed this thread to begin with.[;)]

For the less intelligent people here. If you go back and look at what I said, I did not say slow-moving streams. I said if you let your water run slowly, it won't freeze just like steam.. Again like I said. My weak point is under estimating the lack of intelligence of a small number a people here... And you sir, I really overestimated yours intelligence... I figured you would have at least had the intelligence go back and read what I originally wrote before you posted this... Goes to show you how wrong I was...

Besides that I didn't derail this thread, I just laid it friendly wager out to Gigi... That's not derailing a thread. You derailed it when you tried to make me look like an idiot... As usual it backfired on you...

Again, if you want to try to make me look a fool, why don't you start your own thread. At least it won't derail something that is of importance to somebody like Ken

And as far as my edits go I'm using a smartphone, and it's easier for me to edit what I say than it is to type it in... Smartphones here's about as good as you read, which is not good.

So now what??? Are you through beating yourself up?
    edited November -1

So now what??????

For the less intelligent people here. If you go back and look at what I said, I did not say slow-moving streams. I said if you let your water run slowly, it won't freeze just like steam.. Again like I said. My weak point is under estimating the lack of intelligence of a small number a people here... And you sir, I really overestimated yours intelligence... I figured you would have at least had the intelligence go back and read what I originally wrote before you posted this... Goes to show you how wrong I was...

Besides that I didn't derail this thread, I just laid it friendly wager out to Gigi... That's not derailing a thread. You derailed it when you tried to make me look like an idiot... As usual it backfired on you...

Again, if you want to try to make me look a fool, why don't you start your own thread. At least it won't derail something that is of importance to somebody like Ken

I don't have to try to make you look like an idiot. You do a great job on your own, and based on your ramblings so far in this thread, and your constant need to get in the last word, you're a trained professional. For supposedly being so smart, you obviously mistake me for someone that actually values your opinion, but you don't make mistakes, do you?
    edited November -1

So now what??????

I don't have to try to make you look like an idiot. You do a great job on your own, and based on your ramblings so far in this thread, and your constant need to get in the last word, you're a trained professional. For supposedly being so smart, you obviously mistake me for someone that actually values your opinion, but you don't make mistakes, do you?

I really don't care about your opinion... I've just been stating facts. You're the one that has prolonged this conversation with just opinions, not me. All I've done is answered your inquiries with facts. And by no means have I've tried to get the last word in. I've Just answered your inquiries, if you don't want an answer, don't ask them, it's as simple as that...

And yes I do make mistakes, I know better then the match wits with somebody that has none... What a mistake I made thinking you do. But again, I have a tendency to overestimate the intelligence of some people. Please accept my apology for sparring wits with the handicapped. That's not very nice of me, but I figured you had more intelligence than what you do. Please accept my apology for thinking so. But then, like I said that is one of my weak points, over estimating the intelligence of some people
  • stalion10stalion10 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

So now what??????

I really don't care about your opinion... I've just been stating facts. You're the one that has prolonged this conversation with just opinions, not me. All I've done is answered your inquiries with facts. And by no means have I've tried to get the last word in. I've Just answered your inquiries, if you don't want an answer, don't ask them, it's as simple as that...

And yes I do make mistakes, I know better then the match wits with somebody that has none... What a mistake I made thinking you do. But again, I have a tendency to overestimate the intelligence of some people. Please accept my apology for sparring wits with the handicapped. That's not very nice of me, but I figured you had more intelligence than what you do. Please accept my apology for thinking so. But then, like I said that is one of my weak points, over estimating the intelligence of some people

remingtonoaks, I've been a member here for years and I understand your frustration with people the demonstrates that they're less than intelligent. And I very seldom post because I don't want to want to deal with people that are idiots. So I understand where you're coming from. But come on man, you demonstrated that he is lacking in intelligence, why don't you just lay off of him. It's not nice to beat up people that are not intelligent.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by stalion10

So now what??????

remingtonoaks, I've been a member here for years and I understand your frustration with people the demonstrates that they're less than intelligent. And I very seldom post because I don't want to want to deal with people that are idiots. So I understand where you're coming from. But come on man, you demonstrated that he is lacking in intelligence, why don't you just lay off of him. It's not nice to beat up people that are not intelligent.

You're absolutely right stalion... And I tried to end this, yet he keeps on coming after me with both barrels blazing...I've even point it out to him to go back and read my original post proving him wrong. But it keeps on coming after me.... Do you expect me to not defend myself?
  • stalion10stalion10 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by stalion10

So now what??????

You're absolutely right stalion... And I tried to end this, yet he keeps on coming after me with both barrels blazing...I've even point it out to him to go back and read my original post proving him wrong. But it keeps on coming after me.... Do you expect me to not defend myself?

He's nothing but a bully remingtonoaks. And as with most bullies, they just don't know when to stop, no matter how much you beat them up. Just treat him like a nat. He'll eventually go away, His level intelligence will make him think he has won. And will back off, isn't that what you want? We all know the truth though.
    edited November -1
    I?m with you fellas!
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    1/2" PVC pipes under the house where I can not access them to insulate. (Not enough room to reach them via the crawl space, that goes down to around 6" where the pipes are located.

They must have framed in the floor, then stepped through the framing to run the plumbing. Most idiotic thing I have ever seen.

If my PVC pipes freeze and crack, I am royally screwed.

Yes, I know to run a somewhat fine stream, not a drip.

I bet there is a way to snake PEX down there pulling it through with a line. PEX can be frozen rock solid with no harm done. It might not save the day today but in the future it could be a way to prevent busted pipes.

GOOD LUCK! I know this cold is hard on homes not designed for arctic conditions. Is there a way to get a small ceramic heater or hair dryer into the space? Even a degree or two can make all the difference.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahem... Anyway, back to cold weather and potentially freezing pipes... Ken, having done it before I know it'd be a sucky job but if I was in your shoes I'd get under that house at some point and dig out the crawlspace so you can access those pipes. Rig up a sled of some type that you can pile the dirt on and drag it via rope to your crawl hole.
    I'd also recommend getting rid of the PVC plumbing if at all possible. Replace it with PEX and you'll be better off. PVC is just about the worst option for supply lines, IMO. It's too dang fragile and won't survive a freeze whereas PEX will.
    Can you get a heater under the house to warm the crawl space?
    Good luck! Hope all you folks make it through this cold snap OK.