In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

check this old Marlin out......

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in General Discussion
Wish I had a few more beer cans in the garage....[:p]

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/797374185

Comments

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    Never heard of or seen a 1/2 octagon barrel til now. Don't really care for it. Do one or the other.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    NICE!!!!![:p][:)]
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    beautiful rifle.
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So I'm far from an expert but, photo 13 shows 30-30 stamped on the barrel. Is that what it was called in 1899? At what point did it change from 30WCF?
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a guess but perhaps Marlin was reluctant to stamp Win on their guns??
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the link. Beautiful!
    What's next?
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by notnow
    So I'm far from an expert but, photo 13 shows 30-30 stamped on the barrel. Is that what it was called in 1899? At what point did it change from 30WCF?

.30 Winchester Center Fire or .30 WCF. When the cartridge was chambered in the Marlin Model 1893 rifle, rival gunmaker Marlin used the designation .30-30 or .30-30 Smokeless.

Very nice rifle
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a ball buster of a rifle! He lists some stunning items!
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is an example of original Marlin color case Turnbull can only hope to achieve. BertH and I have had a couple of friendly arguments on Marlin vs Winchester color case. Even though beer was involved, he still won't admit Marlin was better.[:)]
    That process was lost to time until a Marlin Collectors forum member started to experiment. After much trial and error, he nailed it. There's a lengthy thread there detailing it with pics.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    Never heard of or seen a 1/2 octagon barrel til now. Don't really care for it. Do one or the other.

Maybe it only has 4 sides. [:D]
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had no idea those rifles were so beautiful when new. Those old timers were lucky.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the rifle is really, really nice. So nice that I have to wonder if it is actually all original as the seller claims. I look at that rifle and just don't see a 120 year old rifle. But that's just me. It is still a beautiful rifle!!
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dreher
    I think the rifle is really, really nice. So nice that I have to wonder if it is actually all original as the seller claims. I look at that rifle and just don't see a 120 year old rifle. But that's just me. It is still a beautiful rifle!!

That's only the third one I've seen in that condition, and as I posted above, that color case is unique to Marlin. If that one is a restoration, I want to know who did it. Bert's friend and co-author Larry Shennum has one in his collection that's in mint condition because it was kept cased since new. Time, sunlight, and handling turns unprotected color case into a silver patina.
    Here's a link to that thread, but a lot of the pics were gone when photobucket pulled their stupidity. Somewhere in the last few pages I posted a link for the fix to see the pics if they don't already show now.
    http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3732
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    That is an example of original Marlin color case Turnbull can only hope to achieve. BertH and I have had a couple of friendly arguments on Marlin vs Winchester color case. Even though beer was involved, he still won't admit Marlin was better.[:)]
    That process was lost to time until a Marlin Collectors forum member started to experiment. After much trial and error, he nailed it. There's a lengthy thread there detailing it with pics.

You make a good case! [:D]
    What's next?