In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Favorite genre of music

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in General Discussion
I was just a kid in the 60's and early 70's.

I like Southern Rock like the Allman Brothers and Lynard Skynard

I really like Hard Rock like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin

Old Country music is cool like the Merl Haggard and Buck Owens(The new stuff is garbage IMO)

I would rather listen to a baby cry than listen to cRap

But my all time favorite music is what I call Peace Music, like the Young Bloods Get together or Cat Stevens Peace train.

It was kind of strange because the people that know me would never guess that is the stuff I like.

In fact I am listening to Cat Stevens(Before he became the muslim Yusuf Islam) song "Peace Train"

[;)]
RLTW

Comments

• ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in on the Southern Rock, "Outlaw Country" and the mellower tunes from back in the day. I'll take a pass on the hard rock overall. Got no issues with it, just not my thing. I do enjoy good Blues music. Any of the above go well with a nice bonfire and a jug of the good stuff. My old partner and I, while in the never ending "hurry up and wait" mode, would play the "mellower" stuff in the Bearcat and trucks to tamp the guy's adrenaline levels down just a mite.
    ...John Prine is always a favorite too.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just love rap music. Hard core, inner city, kill a cop, rape a hoe,
    gagster rap.

OH!! I forgot to use green font!!! ["my bad, homey"]
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Growing up then the Beatles were a huge impact on music, but I was never really into them. Later on I liked some of the solo stuff but as a band not so much.

I lived in CA from 1967-73(8-14 y/o) and at that time I think the Doors were my favorite band along with Skynard and Hendrix.

Who is your favorite Beatle?

I would have to say George Harrison was mine 2nd was Ringo. I couldn't stand John Lennon and Paul McCartney looks like a * bag.
    RLTW

• Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In high school I switched to "easy listening" while driving tractors 14-16 hours a day. The local "teen" stations played too many of the same songs over and over. Pickup didn't have a radio.

In college I listened to a lot of acoustic folk/rock and Moody Blues, in the Army I was into jazz for a while. In the lasts few years I've collected a lot of "The Highwaymen" outlaw country.

Now my memory stick has a mix of all of the above (and some classical) but NO COMMERCIALS.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bluegrass, Americana,old school outlaw country and true heavy metal.
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******
    edited November -1
    A hard question for me to answer. I like a lot of different music. Not too much of what is being sold today. The easy listening music of the early 70's like Jerry Rafferty and Stealers Wheel. Baker Street was also good when he went solo. I had all of Cat Stevens early records. Father & Son was my personal favorite of his.

Also dig the tunes of Sly & The Family Stone, Berry White for some very mellow enjoyment and his Love Unlimited Orchestra did some fine instrumentals. Throw in some Grand Funk Railroad and even a bit of Peter Frampton and I can do some time travel! Joe Walsh, Neal Young, some ELO, Traveling Willberry's, pardon my spelling. Highwaymen, solo Chris Christopherson, Willy Nelson, Johnny Cash, all good!

Classical music of Rachmaninoff, Mozart, Beethoven. Excellent traveling music that enhances the landscape.

Also like the Blues, Bluegrass, Cajun, Irish, Celtic, and most well played fiddle with a mandolin accompaniment.

I could keep going but this would turn into a novel.[:)]
    edited November -1
    Brookwood have you ever heard Chris Chistopherson's album where he sings the songs he wrote?

I didn't know he was such a prolific song writer.

Here it is on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMVUILVM0Xw&list=PL287B5F02A6762C13
    RLTW

• jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just about anything from the 60s and early 70s except head banging or rap crap
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Never really liked much of the music from my generation. I am a fan of Southern Rock, Classic Rock, Bluegrass, older country. And when I want to sit back and chill...John Denver.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    Brookwood have you ever heard Chris Chistopherson's album where he sings the songs he wrote?

I didn't know he was such a prolific song writer.

Here it is on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMVUILVM0Xw&list=PL287B5F02A6762C13

Yes Sam, I have heard most all of Chris's stuff. He even wrote a favorite that Janis Joplin made famous "Me & Bobby McGee". Christopherson has lead a very interesting life. From flying choppers to writing music in Nashville for many great musicians. I have seen him in concert a couple of times but my favorite was a very small sit down dinner place in Royal Oak Michigan many years ago. I doubt there were more than a hundred people there and Chris came by and sat down at our table and had a glass of ice tea! He was on the wagon. A true down to earth gentleman.
    edited November -1
    One thing a lot of folks don't know is Chris is a Ranger school graduate.
    RLTW

• babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
  • drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    I was a teen in the sixties. So much to choose from, I liked much of it. Liked The Byrds and Grass Roots and on and on. Liked everything from Waylon Jennings to Led Zeppelin after that. Favorite singer is/was Roy Orbison. Still marvel at the tone of his voice to this day. I'll even listen to symphonies while Im driving, Dvorak, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky have good stuff. Can adapt to almost anything but rap which I describe as mumbling a lot of bad poetry over and over. Its not music , its noise.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drl50
    I was a teen in the sixties. So much to choose from, I liked much of it. Liked The Byrds and Grass Roots and on and on. Liked everything from Waylon Jennings to Led Zeppelin after that. Favorite singer is/was Roy Orbison. Still marvel at the tone of his voice to this day. I'll even listen to symphonies while Im driving, Dvorak, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky have good stuff. Can adapt to almost anything but rap which I describe as mumbling a lot of bad poetry over and over. Its not music , its noise.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KFvoDDs0XM
  • SpiceTacSpiceTac Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    80s rock for me!
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anything except Rap. That's crap.
    edited November -1
    Chriss I turned my Dad on to John Prine. I think he was his bigest fan.
    RLTW

• ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JP is still out there hitting it Sam. Saw him down near DC a couple years back. Joe Ely, with or without his backup band, is a damn good show as well. Some Ely favorites...The Road Goes on Forever, Dublin Blues.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll listen to just about anything that is well played. Great musicianship is the key. Pink Floyd, Rush, Kansas, Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Led Zeppelin top my list.
    The only rap that is worth listening to is Blondie's Rapture.[:D]
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing better than that "Old Time Rock n Roll". I do listen to classical, easy listening and also enjoy the "old" country.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everything from Sinatra to Cajun music. Went to the first Cajun music festival in Lafayette, LA forty years ago, liked it ever since.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    Fleetwood Mac
    Moody Blues
    Heart
    Super Tramp
    Three Dog Night

Waylon Jennings
    Willie Nelson
    Johnny Paycheck
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mainly I listen to Classic Rock....but with youtube, it is easy to listen to just about anything. I had classical in the background the other day while working on taxes.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mainly I listen to Classic Rock....but with youtube, it is easy to listen to just about anything. I had classical in the background the other day while working on taxes.
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    contemporary Christian. You get the guitar and drums, with a good message. The Sidewalk Prophets are my favorite.
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    contemporary Christian. You get the guitar and drums, with a good message. The Sidewalk Prophets are my favorite.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rock and Roll only.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on my mood and what I'm doing what I listen to changes all the time...

But mostly I listen to classical when I'm sitting at home reading...

So you could say I like all music except for rap. Raps not music..,
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i listen to about everything that actually takes talent... so that excludes about all rap [:D]
    AC/DC and ZZ Top are my two all time favorite bands.... im learning to play some of AC/DC and ZZ Top songs as of recent.

the link below is imho the best version of La Grange
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al3tRlzOREg
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just about anything before the &^%#(*& Beetles. There was a time when FM radio was all classical music & I didn't like it. Now I do & FM is no different than AM.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as a kid I only heard country ( the real stuff ) and some blue grass all dad would listen too
    I still like country , bluegrass rock and roll , older motown even heavy metal . have even got a liking for some classical and music and some I never even thought of
    but all the rap screaming even newer country and rock suck
    I would say rock from the late 50's thru the 80's what I listen too the most
    and" Joe "plugs a few songs on here from time to time that drift my mind to younger more carefree days of my youth [^]
    edited November -1
    I really wasn't too thrilled with Disco back in the mid 70's. Didn't mind a few Bee Gee's tunes and Donna Summer wasn't all bad.

Another favored artist for me was Harry Neilson. He really had a great voice and a way with words!
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Growing up in the 60's I like all of the pop tunes from then and the early 70's. Groups and singers like ABBA, The Carpenters, Gary, Animals, Herman Hermits, The Monkees.
  • mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From Beethoven to Motorhead.

No rap crap.
  • patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    motown to southern rock, with a healthy mix of classic rock. no disco, rap or head banging crap. heavy metal is not on my play list. for a change i you tube some big band swing music and full orchestral classics