In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What does it cost to run the NICS?

Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in General Discussion
Just wondering with all the bills being introduced to expand checks how much does it cost?

Where does the money come from?

Another one of those facts that don't get discussed in the media frenzy to "do something"[:(!]

Comments

• remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As much as the store wants to charge you

But around here, $7, and the person buying the firearm Pays it.

But if you have a CCW permit, they don't charge you for it.
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I imagine some states are different about charging for their STATE CHECK, but it costs $0 to run the check through the Federal NICS.
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a gun at a gun show and was charged $9. Sales tax also. I mentioned to the lady doing the 4473 about the $9. She said back at the gun shop, they charge $20. So that tells me its arbitrary and they'll charge as much as they can. I won't be buying or even looking at their stuff anymore.
  • Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The latest info I could find, was a 35 million dollar budget in 2016.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not buy a gun from a store that charges for a REQUIRED background check.

That is a ripoff IMO.
    RLTW

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where does the money come from? If you pay federal income tax, it comes from YOU!

The federal government doesn't have any money. It's just a mechanism for re-distribution of the peoples' money.

Neal
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    My apologies. I read over the OP and see that the question was how much is cost to run the entire NICS program, which was already answered by Gregor62.

There is no fee charged for the NICS check, but not every state uses NICS at point of sale. Three that come to mind are CA, FL and Utah, which run background checks through a state agency: DOJ in CA, Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) in FL, and the Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI)in Utah.

The states charge whatever they feel like: five bucks here in FL, a couple $$ more in Utah, and $24 in CA (which includes funding a firearms safety program). The fee in CA has been subject to controversy for decades because it is widely believed that the fee exceeds the actual cost of running the background check and that the DOJ is funneling the excess into other programs.
  • Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Its $ 10.00 here in TN : Thats what the state charges the dealers :

I was told that it is illegal for the dealer to charge more ?

Sam06 : Guess You will NOT be buying a firearm from a Dealer ?

& Here in TN you are still charged the fee even if You have a 'carry permit' ( not true in all states ) : when I had the 'shop' , I asked why do we (TN) still charges for the back-ground check when a person has a 'carry permit' ? Answer was : A way for the state to generate more revenue ?

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark, that is very interesting.
    Do you know if the $5 fee in Fl. goes only to the state level?
    Nothing to the feds?
    The FDLE uses the federal info or not?
    Seems like a good idea, letting the states decide what to charge and check. isn't that what the founding fathers wanted????
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    N C uses the FBI to do their checks but some states set up their own agencies. We have never charged a fee for doing a check.
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will gladly pay a transfer dealer and never think twice but if you charge me for a firearm I am buying from you,,I will never be back..
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    My apologies. I read over the OP and see that the question was how much is cost to run the entire NICS program, which was already answered by Gregor62.

There is no fee charged for the NICS check, but not every state uses NICS at point of sale. Three that come to mind are CA, FL and Utah, which run background checks through a state agency: DOJ in CA, Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) in FL, and the Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI)in Utah.

The states charge whatever they feel like: five bucks here in FL, a couple $$ more in Utah, and $24 in CA (which includes funding a firearms safety program). The fee in CA has been subject to controversy for decades because it is widely believed that the fee exceeds the actual cost of running the background check and that the DOJ is funneling the excess into other programs.

You're right Mark, in Utah it does cost a couple of dollars more. We pay $7, unless you have a CCW permit. Then there's no charge.