In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cartridge display question

goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
edited February 2019 in General Discussion
I have been collecting different cartridges for a display and am getting ready to start building one. Those who have done this, how do you have the cartridges mounted in the display? I like the idea behind the MTM display but want to make mine out of wood. I guess a small dot of some sort of adhesive would do the trick but if I ever need to move them around or rearrange it would be a pain.

Comments

• merlinnmerlinn Member Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A small wad of ?museum putty? on bases works well and is not permanent.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by merlinn

A small wad of ?museum putty? on bases works well and is not permanent.

Had never even heard of that until now. It is called Quakehold at Home Depot. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heres how I did mine for rifle cartridges. My advice is leave PLENTY of room for expansion. I left quite a bit of room originally and you can see the mess I am getting, and FYI, even with all these I have on my board its probably only about 10% of the cartridges ever made, so to do them all you would need to devote a whole wall to it. I think there are like 240 differant calibers on my board that measure 2'x3'.

The backing is metal pegboard, not sure what its called but it has double the amount of holes as normal pegboard. I have them zip tied on so I can slip them out to look at/compare to other cartridges and if I need to move them I just cut the zip tie and rearrange then re zip tie.

i6KBsF5l.jpg
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just put in "ammunition display board" in a search engine and then look at the images, they have some pretty good ideas (100s of them) you can copy made by amateurs and manufacturers, or just take the idea and modify it to make it your own design.

When you're finished making it, post a picture of it. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to see it
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks
    Just put in "ammunition display board" in a search engine and then look at the images, they have some pretty good ideas (100s of them) you can copy made by amateurs and manufacturers, or just take the idea and modify it to make it your own design.

When you're finished making it, post a picture of it. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to see it

Oh, have done numerous searches...there is just not a ton about how people were attaching the cartridges. I will definitely post some pics once it is done.
  • kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one I made back in 1965 was a 2'x3' frame with a thick sheet of styrofoam the cartridges were pressed into. Had a glass front which was tight against the ammo. That way I could slide the glass to remove a cartridge for cleaning or measurements. It hung on the wall until the late '70s when I dismantled it.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Itquote:Originally posted by goldeneagle76
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks

Oh, have done numerous searches...there is just not a ton about how people were attaching the cartridges. I will definitely post some pics once it is done.

I see what you're asking, most of them that I've noticed used hot glue to attach the cartridges to the board...
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    I purchased one of those type set drawers. The ones that have a million different sized compartments. I used that as my cartridge display. You don't have to glue them in or anything. They just sit in their little cubby
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 204targetman
    I purchased one of those type set drawers. The ones that have a million different sized compartments. I used that as my cartridge display. You don't have to glue them in or anything. They just sit in their little cubby

I have looked at those but got the ok to have a section of wall to hang a display and some animals/fish. [:D]