In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Jumping Through Hoops...

Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in General Discussion
For the renewal of my Florida CCW permit. Every 5 years it's a chore. Since I'm out of state I have to send in a new fingerprint card with each renewal which means I have to go to the local sheriff's office and get my fingerprints taken. I guess they think I shed my skin every 5 years and my fingerprints will be different? At least these days with the new fingerprint machines you don't get that black ink all over your hands. That crap was a mess.

Another plus this time was I didn't have to have the renewal form notarized. In years past they required it to be notarized which was a pain in the rear.

Also you can renew on line these days and scan and up load your new photo ID and also make the payment on line. They also require the fingerprint card to be scanned and uploaded too which makes no sense since you still have to mail the original in.

I just love paying for a right that's already guaranteed by the Constitution. [:(!]

Comments

• fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    our state went to online they use driver lic pic
  • varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just went thru the same thing in mississippi. all the same forms again, all notarized, new picture, and finger prints. and cost about the same money.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It does suck that some states have taxed the right to keep and bear arms...

that's all it is, is a form of taxation without representation[xx(]
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went through the same BS today. The only thing they didn't require was the finger prints. New picture, copy of drivers license, answer all the questions, get it notarized and take it and a twenty five dollar check to the attorney generals office. They check it out and send you an authorization for a new CCL. then you can take it to the drivers license bureau and pay them to issue your permit.

When I got my original they tried to get my finger prints on their electronic machine and finally gave up. Forty years of working in a lab and finishing cement seems to have removed my prints. The deputy just finally said "Go on."
    standard.jpg
  • gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our Florida CCW permits are good for either 8 or 9 years. I just renewed mine a few months back with the wife. I have to ask, why are you renewing every 5 years? We made an appointment at the DMV and for both of us it only took 5 minutes at the most. It?s super easy to do now. We walked out with our new cards in hand and won?t have to do it again for a long time.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gjshaw
    Our Florida CCW permits are good for either 8 or 9 years. I just renewed mine a few months back with the wife. I have to ask, why are you renewing every 5 years? We made an appointment at the DMV and for both of us it only took 5 minutes at the most. It?s super easy to do now. We walked out with our new cards in hand and won?t have to do it again for a long time.

I'm a non-resident. I don't live in Florida and I guess they only renew the permits for non-residents for 5 years.That's the way it's been for the past 15 years anyway.

None of the states I've had permits in issue a permit for more than 5 years which includes Alabama, Maine, New Hampshire, Connecticut Pennsylvania and Florida.
  • mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you go to Fla? I renewed last spring in 25 mins at the Agriculture Office in Tampa. They have others:
    https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Regional-Offices
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't you live in GA?

Why not get one from there?
    RLTW

• ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try renewing (if you could even get one issued in the first place) here in the People's Republic, every 3 years, 10-12 pages. IF you ever got one and ya slipped up and let it expire, you're done, pretty much will never get it back.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    Don't you live in GA?

My permanent residence is not in Georgia plus last I checked the Florida permit covered more states than Georgia.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mjrfd99
    Do you go to Fla? I renewed last spring in 25 mins at the Agriculture Office in Tampa. They have others:
    https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Regional-Offices

No I don't go to Florida. It's a couple hundred miles from where I'm at.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live near Fla. and Alabama state lines, my Georgia license serve me well with no hassle as it's honored in both of those plus any of the other states I'm likely going into [:)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it has been my belief of late that the primary function of our govt as it now exists is to dream up and implement NEW TAXES and promote the theology that ALL the worlds poor, diseased, dispossesed, illiterate, criminal,and unhappy are OWED all the things the AMERICAN TAXPAYER has worked for while being allowed to freely walk into our country and hold their hands out....
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    Don't you live in GA?

My permanent residence is not in Georgia plus last I checked the Florida permit covered more states than Georgia.

But it is a non-resident permit and some states will not accept it. I believe NC is one of them. South Carolina is one also.

Where is your DL issued? that would be the state I would get my CCL in. I am not arguing I just would hate for you to get jammed up.

I think I understand your situation but a GA Resident and TN resident CCL Have a lot of reciprocity.

Most of the reciprocity states will honor Florida non-resident permits; however, authorities in a number of states have informed us that there are specific provisions in their laws that restrict the terms of their mutual recognition agreements only to the licensed residents of other states. Therefore, those individuals who hold Florida licenses but who are not residents of Florida cannot carry concealed weapons in these states.

Be advised: Because gun laws are subject to change or different interpretation by state courts, we recommend that non-resident Florida licensees call or write licensing authorities in the states in which they will be traveling to obtain the latest information on this important topic.

I got that here:
    https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Consumer-Resources/Concealed-Weapon-License/Concealed-Weapon-License-Reciprocity/Reciprocity-and-Traveling-with-a-Firearm-FAQ
    RLTW

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    Don't you live in GA?

But it is a non-resident permit and some states will not accept it. I believe NC is one of them. South Carolina is one also.

Where is your DL issued? that would be the state I would get my CCL in. I am not arguing I just would hate for you to get jammed up.

I think I understand your situation but a GA Resident and TN resident CCL Have a lot of reciprocity.

Most of the reciprocity states will honor Florida non-resident permits; however, authorities in a number of states have informed us that there are specific provisions in their laws that restrict the terms of their mutual recognition agreements only to the licensed residents of other states. Therefore, those individuals who hold Florida licenses but who are not residents of Florida cannot carry concealed weapons in these states.

Be advised: Because gun laws are subject to change or different interpretation by state courts, we recommend that non-resident Florida licensees call or write licensing authorities in the states in which they will be traveling to obtain the latest information on this important topic.

I got that here:
    https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Consumer-Resources/Concealed-Weapon-License/Concealed-Weapon-License-Reciprocity/Reciprocity-and-Traveling-with-a-Firearm-FAQ

My resident CCW permit is in Alabama where I have my drivers license. I just renewed my Alabama permit last month. I used to have to renew it every year but starting 5 years ago they give the option of renewing for 1 to 5 years. It's much easier to renew the permit there, you just walk up to the window at the Sheriff's office in Elmore County and hand the clerk the money and she prints out a new permit on the spot. No photo on the permit either.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wundudnee
    Forty years of working in a lab and finishing cement seems to have removed my prints.
    She accused me of sanding mine off, I said WHY?
    Took me a second, then I told her it was because of HARD WORK.
    Had just finished a block - cement job.
  • oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    here in Pa it is 5 yrs and if i remember right, $17
    walk in, fill basically a 4473, pic and thumb print and walk out with new card