In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SAF: 'Anti-Gunners Were Right? About SCOTUS

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
edited January 2019 in General Discussion
2nd Amendment Foundation: ?Anti-Gunners Were Right? About SCOTUS ?Opening Floodgates? on Gun Cases
https://freebeacon.com/issues/2nd-amendment-foundation-anti-gunners-were-right-about-scotus-opening-floodgates-on-gun-cases/
BY: Stephen Gutowski
January 30, 2019 11:29 am

The founder of the Second Amendment Foundation said last week he believes the "floodgates" are now open for the Supreme Court to take new gun rights cases after the Court agreed to hear a New York case.

"The anti-gunners said that when we won McDonald at the supreme court, that if the court rule that our way it would open the floodgates for second amendment litigation," Alan Gottlieb told the Washington Free Beacon. "It's the one area where the anti-gunners were right."

In agreeing to hear New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. New York City, a case challenging the city's law banning those with legally owned firearms from taking them anywhere but their home or a local shooting range, Gottlieb said the Supreme Court was signaling they would begin wading into Second Amendment litigation once again nearly a decade after landmark decisions in District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. City of Chicago.

"It shows for the first time in a lot of years the Supreme Court decided to hear another gun case," he said. "It means that the Supreme Court is back in the business of hearing gun cases."

Gottlieb noted the lower courts in the New York case has sided with the state in upholding its gun control law. He said he believes the Supreme Court likely wouldn't have decided to take the case if they intended to side with the state.

"I don't believe the Supreme Court would choose to hear this case if they were going to affirm the lower court decision," he said. "I believe they have the votes and they're looking at this law as being unconstitutional. So I'm kind of excited about it. And it impacts, of course, the Second Amended Foundation because we have a couple of other cases with certain petitions before the Supreme Court right now."

Gun rights activists and even some of the Supreme Court justices themselves have complained for years that lower courts were ignoring or sidestepping the precedents set in Heller and McDonald and urged the court to take new gun cases. Gottlieb said he feared the election of Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and her potential appointment of justices less protective, or even hostile to, the Second Amendment would've continued that trend. He credits President Donald Trump ?s appointment of justices with judicial records that gun rights activists support with the Court's potentially renewed interest in gun rights cases.

"It's a really big deal," he said. "And it shows why Donald Trump's election was very important for gun rights because now we have a court that's tipping more in the favor of looking at gun rights, making sure our Second Amendment rights are protected."

He said he would be watching the litigation closely in order to see how it might affect future cases his group plans to bring before the court.
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I trust SCOTUS to uphold the the Second Amendment to the Constitution as much as I trust James Comey in investigating Hillary's crimes.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny, I joined SAF...I think I did...sent the $50, got a receipt and nothing since. Most organization when you give them money send you some kind of information packet
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Considering the case they took up, I'm not too enthused about what could be considered best results. The NY law being challenged is so Draconian that it sets the stage for another "you can't ban or mostly ban - but anything close to it is OK". I suppose SCOTUS could use the NY case to write a decision that prohibits "may issue", AW bans and other silliness like "state OK'd handguns" and Lautenberg. But I'm not holding my breath. Especially with Roberts as a possible "Kennedy - lite" modifier.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Funny, I joined SAF...I think I did...sent the $50, got a receipt and nothing since. Most organization when you give them money send you some kind of information packet
    SAF does not send out things like that, or at least only minimally so. They do the occasional survey. Instead they just put the collected money into fighting. If there is something you want to know, it's likely on their web site.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain