In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marlin model 60 by Remington

wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know of any quality issues with the Marlin model 60 since the takeover by Remington? I know there were quality issues with the 336. My son wants one.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the early 70's we never got a full year out of one before it became a jam-o-matic. 3 boys with lawn mowing money - many bricks of cheap ammo like WildCats. We would trade it back to K-Mart and get a new one each year. I will say they all shot good for the most part.

No clue on the new ones.
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 3 Marlin 60s but they were made before Remington took over.

I also have 2 Ruger 10/22s and i like the Marlin 60 better.

However i have only shot 1 Marlin 60 a lot. The other 2 i acquired and just put in the safe.

My Marlin 60 has a 3x12 scope on it and i can hit a nickle at 50 yards. The Ruger 10/22 might do the same thing but i just always grab the Marlin.

Look in a pawn shop or at a gun show and pick up a used one. Also all of my Marlin 60s have the micro grooved barrel.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Marlin made model 60 tube fed magazine semiautomatic .22 lr rifle with a $65.00 3-9X40 basic scope that eats any ammo you feed it and can put 20 rounds into a dime sized group from a sandbagged benchrest at 50 yds over and over again under any conditions...

Like most .22 rimfire firearms it can be picky with ammo bit it never jams or misfires or stovepipes - even if you put a mix of ammo in the tube mag (subsonic or high velocity or lead or copper or presegmented frangible or hollow point or round nose or fmj or pricey or cheap)

Microgroove rifling provides incredible accuracy.

While the ubiquitous omnipresent modular 10/22 is popular and can be customized by an idiot like playing with Lego's I prefer my Marlin everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's...

I have 29 semiautomatic rimfire rifles including the aforementioned ruger.

It's not just because I was a national ranked target shooter or that I possess some secret knowledge or amazing aftermarket accessory or had the gun accurized or modified or put on a $500.00 scope or only used eley gold plated ammo.

I bought it cheap and used and put a used take off scope on it and it's the bees knees.

Simple and to the point.

Mike
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Marlin made model 60 tube fed magazine semiautomatic .22 lr rifle with a $65.00 3-9X40 basic scope that eats any ammo you feed it and can put 20 rounds into a dime sized group from a sandbagged benchrest at 50 yds over and over again under any conditions...

Like most .22 rimfire firearms it can be picky with ammo bit it never jams or misfires or stovepipes - even if you put a mix of ammo in the tube mag (subsonic or high velocity or lead or copper or presegmented frangible or hollow point or round nose or fmj or pricey or cheap)

Microgroove rifling provides incredible accuracy.

While the ubiquitous omnipresent modular 10/22 is popular and can be customized by an idiot like playing with Lego's I prefer my Marlin everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's...

I have 29 semiautomatic rimfire rifles including the aforementioned ruger.

It's not just because I was a national ranked target shooter or that I possess some secret knowledge or amazing aftermarket accessory or had the gun accurized or modified or put on a $500.00 scope or only used eley gold plated ammo.

I bought it cheap and used and put a used take off scope on it and it's the bees knees.

Simple and to the point.

Mike

I could copy and paste your exact post.
    I have the same gun!!!
    The 2 rifles in .22lr I loved the most were my anschutz 1413 and my marlin 60.
    The marlin 60 I bought new in1973. $100 got me the gun AND a case { 5000 rounds} of ammo.

One thing about the marlin 60's....watch how you tighten the screws thru the wood stock. You can crack the trigger guard if too tight.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a dragunov style nylon stock and Boyd's makes a few wood laminate colored variations of heavier target stocks...

There used to be an aftermarket light trigger - that also removed the slack or two stage style take up that I avoided because I prefer a two stage with some take up on semiautos...

I have seen folk take stainless bull barrels from numrich and have them installed but the problem was having a machinist make a relief cut groove or negative space to allow the magazine tube to remain lined up and parallel and still feed - which looked cool and worked well but cost a bloody fortune...

Adding a big 3-9X40 scope added weight and improved balance and stability.

Marlin never put out much aftermarket support and neither did the usual accessory manufacturers due in two parts - one was the inherent out of the box accuracy and the other was the configuration made many mods impractical.

I like a flashy cutting edge space age customized gun with a heavy stainless spiral fluted bbl and a target style multicolored laminate stock but the Marlin as made works better than most folk are capable of shooting as delivered from Marlin.

Testing out ammo brands and types will allow you to find the most accurate stuff for your gun.

I have coffee jars filled with mixed ammo from who knows we're and have fun testing the gun and my skill with it.

Buying a Marlin made model 60 is a good investment and will yield decades of range day fun.

Mike