In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scam, But What's The Objective?

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
The mail came yesterday, with a bit of a surprise. A USPS Express Mail Flat Rate envelope arrived, costing someone $15 or so in postage, from an address in New York City. All that was inside was a check. A check from Apple Computer, drawn on American National Bank. It was for $1,850.00. I get checks in the mail frequently, but this one didn?t add up to anything I had sold recently. So I checked the account number with the bank (automated phone line) and found that no such number exists. So, this check is bogus, but what?s the scam? What?s the angle? Lots of people scam others, but there is usually a way for the scammer to dupe the victim out of money. I haven?t figured this one out yet, but I am holding onto the check and envelope to see if anything else develops. I would put the check in my account to see what happens, but when it bounces, my bank will charge me a fee, I think around $30. I am not going to pay $30 to find out what I already know.

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe turn it over to postal inspectors? A bogus check might add up to mail fraud. At least worth asking, they probably have better resources than you for investigation.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still retain one from 2008 for $1500. from a company in Dallas , Tx. Drawn on Bank of New York. Never heard beans from anyone on this. It was a UPS express envelope.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Two part scam.
    Soon you will get another letter stating "they" overpaid you by about $400.
    Send money to XXXXXXXX

Or you will be asked to supply your bank info becuase the check didn't go thru right.

:lol:
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, go straight to your nearest Postal Orifice and ask to speak to a postal inspector (not just a counter clerk).
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    have someone else endorse the check and sent it to the democraps as a donation ;)
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe your bank sent it hoping you would deposit it and they would make the $30 for a bad check that bounced?

The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take it to local post office or police.
    "What is truth?'
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    have someone else endorse the check and sent it to the democraps as a donation ;)
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    babun wrote:
    Two part scam.
    Soon you will get another letter stating "they" overpaid you by about $400.
    Send money to XXXXXXXX

Or you will be asked to supply your bank info becuase the check didn't go thru right.
    That makes sense...
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when you try and cash it, don't they then have your account number on the bounced check??? a simple way to get your bank account number, as the bounced check is returned to the check writer/account
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hillbille wrote:
    when you try and cash it, don't they then have your account number on the bounced check??? a simple way to get your bank account number, as the bounced check is returned to the check writer/account

Every check I ever received from a customer that bounced, was returned to me, the person that deposited it into my account,

Bounced checks are never returned to the person that wrote it or one would have no proof they were not paid to turn over for collection.
    ;)
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go see the postmaster about it as it is a scam soon you may hear from them.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Mr. CoffeeMr. Coffee Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Now I like that idea :lol: , should it be for the campaign of "Bernie" or "Pocahontas" :D
    I spell it with a "C" like the drink
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The scam is usually done like this. They say they sent you too much money. They tell you to deposit the check and send them back a money order for the bulk of the money, they say they owe you a small amount and keep an extra $100 for helping them out.

Also they say the overcharge they are sending is from quite a while ago so you cannot recall being overcharged. Most people fall for this scam because they think they are getting back money that they were over charged for.

Of course their check bounces and they have your money order so nothing you can do.

What is amazing in this day and age is that when I use my credit card on line I get an email message as I am making the charge. However a paper check can still take a week or more to clear your account.
  • tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    Maybe your bank sent it hoping you would deposit it and they would make the $30 for a bad check that bounced?

That's the most likely scenario.
    They can charge you for depositing that bounced check, then charge you for all your bounced checks.
    Then there's the fee for charging you a fee.
    I HATE banks.
    The fees are just part of why!
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Coffee wrote:

Now I like that idea :lol: , should it be for the campaign of "Bernie" or "Pocahontas" :D

:D:lol: