In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very good news that FTC caught up with some of these annoyance bureaus. Hope they lock them up...
    "What is truth?'
  • WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate this calls too. I almost feel like blocking any number that's not already in my contacts list...
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I get a telemarketing call - either robo or a live person - I simply set the phone down, say nothing, and let the time go by until they hang up. May not accomplish much but I get some satisfaction.
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When we hooked up with Hughes satellite service for internet and phone, the a'holes sold our number to every Tom, Dick, and Radrinda they could find.

We purchased a Panasonic phone system that allows call blocking. It didn't take long to fill up the 250 slots. I finally was able to dump the 250 numbers and now we will be loading them back up as we get them.

It got so bad that we never even answer the phone anymore unless we know the number or caller. Even then if we are not near the phone and it's someone we know, we just let them leave a message.

When a number that we have blocked calls, it only rings one time, or you have the option of no ring at all. :D:lol:

The worst ones use a local number, or they have even figured out how to call with a number that is not assigned. :twisted: :evil: :x
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you answer AT ALL, you signal that you are a working number, which then gets sold to a bazillion other robo-callers.

I get up to 10 a day. I used to pick up and hang up, which likely caused the deluge. My home phone has a blocked numbers function, but is now completely full. No more storage space. Now I simply don't answer any unknown calls at all. Am hoping that I now get put on a "Not a valid number" list and they'll start to taper off. It's not just a pain in the *, it's a ROYAL pain in the *.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
    edited November -1
    Bubba, how did you dump the blocked caller list on your Panasonic? That's what I have, too. I'd like to scrub some of the earlier ones - or all of them - and start over like you did.
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    Bubba, how did you dump the blocked caller list on your Panasonic? That's what I have, too. I'd like to scrub some of the earlier ones - or all of them - and start over like you did.

With my Panasonic, hit CALL BLOCK, then select "Block a single number" or "Block range of numbers" then hit SELECT. Then MENU, "ERASE ALL, SELECT, then YES, SELECT, YES again, then OFF.

These directions are for model #'s KX-TGF340 - 342 - 343 - 344 - 345.
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I'll try that!
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The telephone service companies could stop robo calls in a heartbeat .. but why?

They are making huge bucks selling phone time!

:lol::lol: :evil:
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    why should the bass herds stop calling ...there is no REAL penalty....add fines in $100K blocks and REAL JAIL TIME for the owner, promoter , board members, whoever is doing it and it will smoking stop like locked brakes.......
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just answer the phone "Thank you for calling Dominos"

"uhhh- this is the microsquishy technical support department...."

"Yeah- and this is Dominos. Did you want to order a pizza?"

"Uhhh- no- I am sorry for calling you."

Block all you want, and quit worrying about someone having sold your number- The callers are using spoofing tech to make it appear you are getting a local call, and it robocalls EVERY number in a sequence.

Of course, when you get a call from "Rachel" with card services. you could always do the "So, tell me Rachel.... what are you wearing?"

One SERIOUS bit of advice- NEVER utter the word "Yes". "Can you hear me?" "I can hear you." "Is this Mr. Eleven Bravo?" "it is" The word Yes can be recorded, and used to show you DID in fact order the Ronco plastic turnip twaddler.
    It is also handy to learn some Urdu profanity or insults.
    edited November -1
    Even better than Dominoes...

"FBI, Agent Roberts. This call is being recorded."

CLICK!
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I run a business that requires me to answer the phone and I don't know all the callers, I pay Verizon 2.99 a month for spam notification but the richard heads have gotten around that by spoofing. As noted the phone companies are allowing these arseholes to get away with it and should be fined out of business.

If I could give every politicians personal cell number to the spoofers our legislators would resolve this issue in between the daily attack Trump moves.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blocking numbers of robocalls doesn't help much if at all. They use different numbers all the time, or even a fake number that hides the real one. I have even had robocalls that show as coming from my own phone!!
  • badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wait until you get one from your own phone number! The rat bastards are making caller ID worthless.
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
    edited November -1
    I've heard all those stories telling you to answer "FBI, fraud division" but these robot calls are machines, not real people. So answering them at all accomplishes what they intended, to get you on the phone.

I even had one that sounded so real, and didn't sound like a sales call that I talked with the "girl" a while until she didn't answer a question and kept talking. She sounded so real, voice and context that it fooled me for about a minute.

I hate those calls.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
    edited November -1
    The FCC has fined ROBO callers $208 million. They've collected less than seven grand.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/the-fcc-has-fined-robocallers-208-million-its-collected-6790
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    The FCC has fined ROBO callers $208 million. They've collected less than seven grand.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/the-fcc-has-fined-robocallers-208-million-its-collected-6790

Kinda like the gun confiscation down under... a handful turned in whilst millions have been "lost in a terrible boating accident." You can make laws and requirements - but enforcement is a whole different animal.
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    badchris wrote:
    Wait until you get one from your own phone number! The rat bastards are making caller ID worthless.
    Yep, I've gotten one from me on our home landline. :x

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We get a ton of spam calls on our home phone (landline) and now that we travel more and I need to give my cellphone number to hotels we stay at, etc., I am getting more spam calls on my cellphone. Our old Panasonic phone system only had memory for 30 blocked calls, so I recently replaced it with a newer model that has memory for 250 blocked calls. With our new Panasonic, as well as our old one, you can edit the Blocked Caller List and remove single numbers or erase the entire list.

The trouble is, nowadays spam calls are so prevalent, you can quickly fill up a Blocked Caller List because the calling number constantly changes and only occasionally will you get a repeat. My solution for this scenario was to create an Excel Workbook (one for the landline and one for our cellphones) with multiple worksheets (Recent, Local Area Code Numbers, Last 100-200 Days, Archive 200+ Days, and Unblocked). I keep a printout of the Recent Calls Sheet by the phone and when we get a spam call we check to see if it is already on the Recent list. If it is, one of the 3 Strikes you?re out boxes is checked and when 3 boxes are checked, that number is blocked. When I enter new spam numbers in the Recent Worksheet, it will check all other Worksheets to look for duplicates and flag them.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!