In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Yet Another Computer Question

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
I bit the bullet and ordered a new computer. Both the old and new will have Win10 Am I correct that in order to transfer programs and data I need to put them on a usb memory stick then move the stick from the old to the new? Or is there an easier way?

thanks guys,
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can copy files to the USB then into the new computer. Most programs can't just be copied over since during the install they modify some system files. So, you'd need to original media (CD).
    Now, if you downloaded the application, then you can probably just copy that the the USB and onto the new PC. You'd have to run the setup program on the new pc, but at least you've avoided the download.
    There are some syncing programs out there, but they mostly just sync files and not programs.
    Hope this helps...
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a few ways. Like the usb and cds. some files can be saved to your mail accounts like gmail or juno etc. Its always best to back up every now and then just to be safe or keep your old pc till your confided. Then remove the hard drive from the old unit after time and use it for target practice.
    "What is truth?'
  • beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clone your "old" hard drive then move the clone to your new computer. Cloning a hard drive allows you to create an exact replica of your old drive on a new drive, whether external or internal. As soon as a clone is created, it should be ready to boot on the new PC. Free software is available on the internet.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I bought a new computer a few months ago, I bought a program that allowed me to connect the two boxes with a T-1 cord and the program transferred every file, program, and setup option to the new one without touching the new box's fresh Win 10 installation. It cost me $100 or so but was worth it for the complete worry-free transfer.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies guys. The old computer is having some problems so I fear cloning the drive. It may be hardware or a virus. I'll go with the usb file by file transfer.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • HessianHessian Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    What I did was I bought a 4TB external hard drive, around a hundred bucks. Transfered what I wanted to the hard drive and just plugged it into my new computer. I scanned all my files on the external hard drive with my virus program and Malwarebytes before plugging it up to my new computer. When I was finished I deleted the transferred files after I was sure they worked and then used the external as a backup for my new computer.
    The upside to having an external backup is you can shut it off and only turn it back on to backup or recover. Reduces the chance of the backup being infected.

Another thing you can do is to buy a hard drive adaptor, remove the hard drive from your old computer and recover files to your new computer. I've done it when I had a hardware problem, a bad motherboard etc. Just don't turn on your new computer with your old hard drive plugged in. Plug it in after your new computer is up and running, transfer any file that doesn't end in EXE. If you fire up your new computer with the old hard drive plugged in, it may confuse it.

The new solid state external hard drives are great, they are super quick and the prices have come way down.

A third alternative if you have an Android tablet, use it to transfer instead of a USB. Super easy to navigate.
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    cbxjeff wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys. The old computer is having some problems so I fear cloning the drive. It may be hardware or a virus. I'll go with the usb file by file transfer.
    I run this Microsoft virus scan tool every month or so. It's is free and updated every month (or was in the past). Always run the latest version, the program is downloaded to your computer, don't keep using, get a new copy every time. I'd for sure run the scan before transfering files,, it takes a while to run, maybe hours. At the end it'll come up with a list of item found and will be automatically "quarantined". Haven't found a virus in 6 plus years. If you run it let us know the results.

It's on the microsoft site with instructions. They have 32 and 64 bit versions
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

PS: You couldn't pay me enough to download scanners from any other site. Who knows what in that scan you just installed.