In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I wish I was a better marksman.

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
I just don't shoot very well. Especially handguns. I never was much good and I have gotten really bad as I got old. Eyesight not what it was and I developed a little of that old man tremor in my hands after my heart surgery. Took my new Colt Scout to the range on Tuesday and at 25 feet resting my arms I was shooting 8' groups. Truly pathetic.

The list of things I don't do well is definitely longer than the list of things I'm good at.
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    8' :shock: 8 foot groups? Please send me your pistols. You're a danger to yourself and others! :mrgreen:
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    WT, I have a book on pistol shooting graciously given to me by Perry Shooter. It helped me a lot. If you like I can send it to you, free of charge.
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try 25 meters using a rest. It could be your shooting iron and not you Doc. Give yourself a break to with all you have been thru recently your still on the come back trail.

Hang in partner...
    "What is truth?'
  • WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:
    WT, I have a book on pistol shooting graciously given to me by Perry Shooter. It helped me a lot. If you like I can send it to you, free of charge.

Nope - no need. I was just commenting on Doc's shooting 8 FOOT groups at 25 yards. Hopefully he meant 8 INCH
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wpageabc wrote:
    Try 25 meters using a rest. It could be your shooting iron and not you Doc. Give yourself a break to with all you have been thru recently your still on the come back trail.

Hang in partner...

You think his groups will get better at over 3 times the distance???????

Simple math says the groups would be at least 30" across, most likely much more.

At 25 feet, he has something very wrong with the site picture. Or a bad flinch.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What gripes me is I had to practice, practice, practice, to get reasonably good at shooting a pistol while my wife can shoot once in a blue moon and still shoots better than I do. :oops:
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What gripes me is I had to practice, practice, practice, to get reasonably good at shooting a pistol while my wife can shoot once in a blue moon and still shoots better than I do. :oops:

My wife is the same way. I spent enough time to get where I can typically stay within a 6" circle at 50 feet. Took quite a bit of time, but it seems to be fairly dependable.

She waltzes in and in a tenth of the time is consistently equal or better.

Some people have a talent for such things, I guess.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well remember a hand gun was made for a hand, I always felt that you shoot them with one hand in a relaxed mood and at 25 feet if you can hit a paper plate then you can kill with it. next time relax and use 1 hand with no rest and do your best.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey we can't all shoot guys off of roof tops from speeding vehicles four stories below!
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:

Nope - no need. I was just commenting on Doc's shooting 8 FOOT groups at 25 yards. Hopefully he meant 8 INCH
    I misread doc?s post on my tiny cell phone screen.
    Anyway, the offer is extended to you, also, doc.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Doc wrote:
    I just don't shoot very well. Especially handguns. I never was much good and I have gotten really bad as I got old. Eyesight not what it was and I developed a little of that old man tremor in my hands after my heart surgery. Took my new Colt Scout to the range on Tuesday and at 25 feet resting my arms I was shooting 8' groups. Truly pathetic.

The list of things I don't do well is definitely longer than the list of things I'm good at.
    I'm hoping you meant 8 inch groups. Doc, I wonder if there is something that you can do to minimize tremors? Medications maybe?? Eyesight is what it is, I think, and corrective lenses go only so far.

Perhaps larger sights are in order? Holographic perhaps? I do realize they don't look quite right on certain arms. Perhaps the solution is merely to switch which arms you're using.

I don't shoot as well as I used to, which was never very impressive anyway, but I still greatly enjoy my time at the range. Hope you still can too.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty far sighted, so anything at arm's length or closer is a loss.
    I can shoot a single action army revolver as well as or better than something with "good" sights.
    Which is to say that I look like a champ shooting the saa and like a chump shooting a python.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I invest alot trying to shoot well.

These are prescription safety glasses and I must say- money very well spent.

Cheers.
    hKzFbJUl.jpg
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ya remember the ol TV detective show called CANNON......short fat man carried a 38 special revolver and the villian would be shooting at him from a ridge with a scoped rifle and MISS BY A MILE...and then ol Frank would pop him off with the first shot of this pocket revolver.....ahhhh hollywood...would this be a good shootin tutorial ??????
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Willam Conrad served in ww2 as fighter pilot and reached the rank of captain
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Too much recoil? :lol: Then again I'm picturing you like Seth MacFarlane in "A Million Ways to Die in the West" shooting bottles at about the minuet mark. Also make sure it's not the gun or ammo.
    Link the video so that it plays only on demand and not automatically. Mark C.
    edited November -1
    yoshmyster wrote:
    Too much recoil? :lol: Then again I'm picturing you like Seth MacFarlane in "A Million Ways to Die in the West" shooting bottles at about the minuet mark.

Also make sure it's not the gun or ammo.

Your posted video starts to play as soon as I click on this thread.
    That just is wrong.
    I don't need my virus programs checking what you post in a reply.

Edited to remove the link. Mark C.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just took the link off IMDB.
    edited November -1
    Well, don?t do that.
    edited November -1
    Thank you for removing that auto play link.
    Those are dangerous. You don't know what you are getting till it's too late.