In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I know its a sin to add water

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
to my Bourbon but I do! :o :shock:

I have developed a palate for a certain range of proof, generally I prefer 70-90 proof on the high end. Some of the Bourbons I try are higher and even much higher proof and I don't feel like I can accurately judge the flavor the same so I OMG, I add water. I found this nifty web site that allows me to be more precise in the volume of water but honestly I usually just let more of the ice cubes melt to temper the flavor.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/how-to-water-your-whisky/
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just never developed a taste for any kind of whiskey .... even after spending over 10 years tending bar ~ and believe me, I tried everything in we had to drink in the bar!

:D
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I never add water to bourbon or rye, but I like them chilled so I always drop in an ice cube so by the time the cube melts the whisky has been diluted to some extent.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    I prefer on the rocks.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JD Old #7... Three cubes & three fingers...
    JIM.......
  • likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    84 proof Redemption Straight Pre-Prohibition Bourbon for me. Three fingers, neat, in a tub please
  • BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is not a sin to add water. Whiskey, like any other potable, is meant to be enjoyed. You should drink it any way you like it. Purists may spout, but they drink it the way they like, I drink it the way I like. In fact, at the Evan Williams tour, they gave us eye droppers with water to taste before and after.

KC
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is known that a wee splash of water "releases" the flavors of a good Scotch. There is scientific rationale for it that I can't recall at the moment, but it is true.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I never add water to bourbon or rye, but I like them chilled so I always drop in an ice cube so by the time the cube melts the whisky has been diluted to some extent.

by Mr. Perfect

I prefer on the rocks.

Yep, and Yep.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A small glass, NEVER plastic, full to the top with ice and four fingers of Jim Beam is a go to for me. I let it set on ice for about 5 minutes before the first sip. It makes it "just right" in my book. The same goes for a good Scotch.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer mine room temp right from the bottle.
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RobOz wrote:
    I prefer mine room temp right from the bottle.
    Classy. ;)
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love to have a shot of Jack Daniels straight up. Two ounce shot.
    But I tell you what, daughter in law gave me a bottle of $49 booze at Christmas, some kind of elite bourbon never heard of it, the damn stuff is 98 proof and I just can't drink it. Can't drink it straight.
    So I have to put a shot of water in there. And, it is some damn good bourbon.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Enjoy your bourbon how you like it, or what's the point in drinking it?

This type discussion always cracks me up anyway, especially those "never add water to whiskey" crowers. I've got news for them, the distillery added water to it before they bottled it, that's how they magically get it to the proof listed on the bottle. Fact is they added water to it before they aged in those wonderful wooden barrels then added it again before bottling.
  • mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was 16 years old when I drank a pint of cheap whiskey and washed it down with a 6 pack of malt liquor .(16 OZ cans)

You know what a stinking drunk 16 year old remembers from the illness that followed. I have never had a drink of whiskey or bourbon since that. I can't even stand the smell of it. I can drink Vodka , beer, Tequila and manage a gin once in awhile but today I would drink the water and throw out the bourbon or whiskey. How's that for a sin ! :lol:
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mnrivrat48 wrote:
    I was 16 years old when I drank a pint of cheap whiskey and washed it down with a 6 pack of malt liquor .(16 OZ cans)

You know what a stinking drunk 16 year old remembers from the illness that followed. I have never had a drink of whiskey or bourbon since that. I can't even stand the smell of it. I can drink Vodka , beer, Tequila and manage a gin once in awhile but today I would drink the water and throw out the bourbon or whiskey. How's that for a sin ! :lol:
    +1 I chugged half a bottle one night at a party, also a lot of folks were smoking non tobacco products, both make me sick to this day just from the smell of them.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bourbon and Coke is my go-to drink, about 25% bourbon 75% Coke. No ice in mine please, I throw my bourbon in the freezer until it's almost turning to a slush. Keeps my drink nice and cold
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    It is known that a wee splash of water "releases" the flavors of a good Scotch. There is scientific rationale for it that I can't recall at the moment, but it is true.

Yep, that's true although I can't recall the scientific reason either. When I've had the opportunity to order an excellent old Scotch at an upscale bar, the server will usually bring a small pitcher of water so I can add my own amount. The water apparently opens up the aromas so your nose picks up more of the variations in smell. The aromas are half the fun of drinking a fine Scotch. :D
  • jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like jim beam bonded at room temp.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been really getting into Bourbon and Whiskeys the last few years. Adding water is no sin at all. Mixing Coke or 7up with a fine Bourbon like Blanton's or another $60-$100.00 bottle...........Well, I just don't see the point.
    I like a lot of good Bourbons, neat. Sometimes, I like just one or two small ice cubes, or better yet one large ice cube that melts real slow.
    It all depends on my mood......
    I agree, drink it how you like it.
    Blanton's has been my favorite as of late, although it can be near impossible to find. I've been lucky and crafty enough to gotten ahold 4 bottles! And there are always a couple bottles of Basil Hayden in the cabinet. Woodford Reserve and Eagle Rare are kept at home too......I really like Caribou Crossing for a Canadian Whiskey. It's very good in my opinion.
    Damn, 8am and now I'm thirsty.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    It is a sin to drink good whiskey in a manner that you do not enjoy to the fullest.

I don't drink a whole lot of hard liquor; pretty much some good Scotch Whiskey a couple of times a week.

I happen to enjoy it a room temperature and without any water.

Have had a number of people at the house put water and/or ice in a shot of $ 200.00 Scotch. It is how they enjoy it, and that is what is important.

I do get a kick out of those who pretentiously raise their nose at the 'sin' of watering down good whiskey. If someone is at my house, I want their experience to be as enjoyable as possible. If that means they put an ice cube in a glass of 21 year-old Glen Dronach, more power to them.

Edit: Have a friend who puts ketchup on everything. One July 4th, I grilled 1-1/2" rib-eyes and lobster tails.

He asked for his rib eye well done and then drenched it in ketchup. I bit my lip. I almost drew blood when he dumped ketchup on the lobster.

To each his own. He enjoyed his dinner and complimented me on both the steak and lobster. I will never understand it, but am happy he enjoyed what he ate.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems a consensus here no anti water snobs!

I think cask strength is simply too much alcohol for the flavors to properly be sensed by the taste buds. From what I have read it appears that their may be some science behind even a few drops of water "opening up" the flavors of the Whiskey. And also that the taste bud receptors are more open to a lower proof.

HDColt51 and I along with our spouses and occasional others enjoy adult beverages most Friday nights.

I noticed that the cask strength stuff we have bought at distilleries seemed much stronger and not as enjoyable as the drinks we have at the Bar, but then I took the time to see the difference in proof and it all makes sense.

A couple ice cubes go along way to making the sipping more enjoyable, but perhaps it is also due to the fine company!
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited March 2019
    As W.D. would say:
    Two fingers of good bourbon...in the bottom of a wash tub.
    I, myself, gave it up 25 years ago, but I am not a tee-totaller.
    The Jim Beam factory laid off two workers.
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have it your own way. There are snobs in all forms of life. How you like your libations is no ones business but your own.
    "What is truth?'
  • gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess I will have to confess to being a snob. No water, no ice & sip it, don't drink it. If you buy cheap booze it doesn't make a difference but why pay for more expensive whiskey & then dilute it?
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drink limit on the base is 2. I can sometimes get a 3rd. All we have is those little airplane bottles for booze.
    I like Johnny Walker Black with ice and splash or water. At home I'm cheap and it's Red Label.

For awhile all that was available was Jim Beam, drank a bunch of that but now can't stand the taste of it. Nor can I stand Jack Daniels.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    I enjoy my bourbon neat, often chilled.
    With scotch I start it out neat and most of the time add a splash , lierally only a few drops of water. Enjoyed a glass of 18 Glenlivet this weekend and added maybe a half teaspoon of water.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So why not distill the water out of the good stuff you are drinking LOL

:D:D:D
    gruntled2 wrote:
    Guess I will have to confess to being a snob. No water, no ice & sip it, don't drink it. If you buy cheap booze it doesn't make a difference but why pay for more expensive whiskey & then dilute it?
  • lt496lt496 Member Posts: 116
    edited November -1
    With bourbon, being heavy and sweet tasting to me, I drink it with a few ice cubes and a good dollop of branch water.

I prefer single malt scotch and occasionally a good quality blended scotch though. Sometimes with a cube or two, sometimes with a small splash of water, but mostly neat.

Nothing like fine whiskey and a good cigar after a hard day working, shooting or running the woods.
    "Freedom is not for the timid" III% BFYTW