In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

returning to the military (maybe)

callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
I got out in 2002, and from that point I've been receiving disability from the VA. I now have an opportunity to return to the Reserves, and it's actually a full-time Reserve position, not the traditional "one weekend a month and 2 weeks during the year."

Question 1: Will they even allow me to join back up if I'm disabled?

Question 2: And if they do let me join up, is it contingent on me declaring and stopping any payments for disability from the VA?

Comments

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are working full time, I would hope your disability payments are stopped.k
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might get a more definitive answer from them, instead of us. Probably better not to seek medical advice here either.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are working full time, I would hope your disability payments are stopped.k

Absolutely correct ;) ......................you should already know the answer to question # 1 and # 2

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Junkballer wrote:

Absolutely correct ;) ......................you should already know the answer to question # 1 and # 2

+2 times

You really think you should get a check for being disabled and not being able to work
    AND get a check for working at the same time?????
    Did I see you standing in the middle of all those white dressed Democrats at the state of the union address a while ago????? :?
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unbelievable :roll: :roll:
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    callktulu wrote:
    I got out in 2002, and from that point I've been receiving disability from the VA. I now have an opportunity to return to the Reserves, and it's actually a full-time Reserve position, not the traditional "one weekend a month and 2 weeks during the year."

Question 1: Will they even allow me to join back up if I'm disabled?

Question 2: And if they do let me join up, is it contingent on me declaring and stopping any payments for disability from the VA?

In what manner are you disabled?

How would your disability impact your readiness to serve in the military?

If you are disabled from the military, yet you seek reinstatement in the military is that not an oxymoron?
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    looking for a full time sit down with continuing payments ??? double dipping ^^
  • callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never mind, you're missing my point of why I was asking. I'm not TRYING to receive both. I'm just trying to make sense of the systems.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To answer both your questions without reading in to why you're asking like others have

1) I'm not sure, but if you're capable of doing the job that they're asking you to do I don't see why they would turn you down. But again like say, I'm no expert are the subject. I do know it would not hurt to find out by trying to rejoin

2) if there are restrictions on your disability payments that would keep you from rejoining, then yes you have to declare that you went back to work.

But the best thing to do is research it in the proper Avenues to do so, I don't believe here is the proper Avenue. All you will do is get here, just like I have given you here
    edited November -1
    To answer both your questions without reading in to why you're asking like others have

1) I'm not sure, but if you're capable of doing the job that they're asking you to do I don't see why they would turn you down. But again like say, I'm no expert are the subject. I do know it would not hurt to find out by trying to rejoin

2) if there are restrictions on your disability payments that would keep you from rejoining, then yes you have to declare that you went back to work.

But the best thing to do is research it in the proper Avenues to do so, I don't believe here is the proper Avenue. All you will do is get here, just like I have given you here

Thank you, I appreciate your response. I've often found that this forum is an excellent source of advise and diverse opinions, thus my OP.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brother, if you can get back in to the Military, Reserves (or not.)

My Hat is off to you. I Thank You for your Service Brother.

(And) Your willingness to serve.

-Ken-
    edited November -1
    Brother, if you can get back in to the Military, Reserves (or not.)

My Hat is off to you. I Thank You for your Service Brother.

(And) Your willingness to serve.

-Ken-

Thanks for saying that, Ken, I appreciate it!😎
    edited November -1
    I tried to get back in to the Natl. Guard/Reserves when I moved back here. (In 2006.)

A complicated formula is used to decide If you can get back in or not.

Time served/age/ time until retirement/ etc. etc.

I would have Served Proudly (Had an MOS they wanted badly.) Two years beyond "acceptance." (Idiots.)
    Could have done some good/trained younger Members.

Whatever.
    edited November -1
    I tried to get back in to the Natl. Guard/Reserves when I moved back here. (In 2006.)

I would have Served Proudly (Had an MOS they wanted badly.) Two years beyond "acceptance." (Idiots.)

Whatever.

Man, what a waste, too bad! :x
    edited March 2019
    callktulu wrote:

Whatever.

Man, what a waste, too bad! :x

:D
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    54E?

NBC= No Body Cares

;)
    RLTW

• HessianHessian Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    The best advice I can give is to find a lawyer that specializes in military disability. The regulations change a lot, what may have been applicable six months ago may be totally different today.
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    54E?

NBC= No Body Cares

;)

The "Mop and Glow Team." :D:lol: :roll:
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact SS or whoever issues your disability payments to see.
    "What is truth?'