In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Karmahn Ghia Owners -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
I owned a hot rodded 69'. :D

Would love to have that car back.

The price on them now is crazy. Kinda like my 51' Ford Pickup (351 Cleveland), Triumph TR6, 67' GTO, 61' Ford Econoline, with a V-8, etc. etc.

Any one here own a Karmhan Ghia?

Comments

• rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Volkswagen made a least 2 different versions of the Karmahn Ghia, during the 50's - 70's time frame. I believe only the first one, was sold in the States though?

Later on in the 70's they also made the mid engine sports car, that was sold in the States as a Porsche. And a Kubelwagen knock-off. If you think a Ghia in good shape is expensive. Try getting your hands on one of these. Without experiencing sticker shock.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dual carbs/intake on each side. Shaved heads increasing compression, lifted deck to increase fresh air induction, lowered, Porsche rims, wide low profile tires. Aftermarket oil cooler, with radiator. Quad to one exhaust.

Handled great.

Miss that car big time.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wanted one in HS, Dad didn't think they were safe enough so that got shot down. We did look at one that was red, and was going to be a project cor for me but he eventually shot it down.
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never liked anything VW made. I do know that if you pull up sharply on the E brake at speed and cut the wheel hard you can turn a karmengeea 180 degrees in a small space. That was fun.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never owned a Ghia,but hot rodded several VW engines.I could get pretty good performance out of them,but they never lived very long being hot rodded.If I knew then what I know now,and if I had the money back then,I would have Corvair powered one.If I had a 150+ HP Volkswagen when I was in my early 20s,chances are I would not be here now.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buddyb wrote:
    I never owned a Ghia,but hot rodded several VW engines.I could get pretty good performance out of them,but they never lived very long being hot rodded.If I knew then what I know now,and if I had the money back then,I would have Corvair powered one.If I had a 150+ HP Volkswagen when I was in my early 20s,chances are I would not be here now.

Subaru's. VW engines, liquid cooled. :D

Good Sheeit.
  • ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once upon a dark and dreary night I chased an orange one driven by a guy wanted for bank robbery about 30 miles. He crashed thru the Ft Hoyle gate at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds and back thru some really, really, restricted areas, then a wrong turn put him in the river. One thing they don?t do is float!
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales