In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Helped a relative "observe" her teenage boys in Panama City

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
I went with my aunt to the beach for four days. I got there Friday and left Monday afternoon. She was staying another two days with the boys. We went to Panama City because her boys had friends who were also going there for spring break......so I was a secondary supervisor for the trip.

What I have decided is that one generation gap is pretty much all I will try to keep up with as far as trends, popular songs, lingo and such. My kids are 26, 23 and 21. The people younger than this may as well be from another planet as far as I'm concerned. The word "thick" means something totally different to them......I have learned. I kept hearing "She is THICK" over and over again......looking at who they were talking about I determined that THICK could not be the same meaning at all for what I'd use to describe the people I saw.

The music they listen to is pure crap......not that the music my kids listened to wasn't crap.....because it was.....but I was at least familiar with that crap.....this stuff was all new crap I had not ever heard before by people I had never heard of.

The ability to sleep in strange places like lawn chairs on the balcony is something I remember being able to do myself. The picky eating that kids have grown into is all new to me. I remember eating whatever was there......sandwiches.....pizza......a casserole......not one time did I ask "whats in this".....you just ate it as fast as you could because there was fun to be had and doing things like eating was a speed bump you had to deal with before you could get to the beach.

I heard one of the boys ask "what kind of cheese is this" while looking at a burger he just ordered at a restaurant. My aunt starts looking at the menu for the description of the burger so she can get the name of the cheese........where I start saying its the "shove it in your mouth" type cheese and look at the boy like I'm going to punch him in the throat. Two bites in he's saying its the best burger he's had. One of the other boys earned the name "kids menu" because he refuses to eat anything but chicken tenders.

We did get the matching air brushed shirts. Me and my aunt went to Margaritavill and had the boys meet us there. We just told the hostess "she would know" when they got there because we were all in turtle shirts......and she did.

Panama City has made a big turn around......its worth giving it a try if you guys are thinking about going to the beach. We normally stick to Orange Beach, but I was pretty happy with our little Panama City adventure. I did learn I'm better at Putt Putt golf when I'm on my phone than when I'm really paying attention.......because I had my daughter run over to my house and send the winning bidder emails out Sunday night and I was trying to walk her through how to do it while we were playing.

https://beta-static.photobucket.com/images/e336/jojosguns/3/f9a4d8dc-1971-4d67-a889-dd21a0d149b2-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    I checked Urban Dictionary
    No, it does not mean what we thought.
    I was in Panama City for one of my honeymoons in 1989. I really liked it there.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    went to panama city once ...got there the day before we invaded iraq...had lunch at a beachside place called Toucans...some years later i saw a pic of it after a hurricane came ashore there...2 pieces of pipe left ..you would have enjoyed going west to view Seaside... a community for rich people.... went across a bridge 5 miles long somewhere there ...nothing like that in kansas......Shell beach and other neat places
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Allways a voyage of discovery to see what kids are into when you are getting a little older...

Its a not so brave new world anymore.
    "What is truth?'
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was in high school Panama City was a true party town......a bit out of control, but mostly harmless fun. A lot of drunk kids pretty much yelling WOOOO at each other was the theme. I went with my kids when they were little and it seemed pretty run down....the stores that were there had all the life sucked out of them. Me and Larry walked over across from the hotel to get a bottle opener from a store and the lady working there was going on and on about how the Walmart moving in had killed their business. I looked around and knew exactly what had killed her business and it was NOT Walmart by looking at the worn out motif, "smoking" supplies, cheap/ugly t-shirts, and greatful dead bear bobble heads. A few years ago it had gotten pretty rough down there. Someone was raped on the beach during the day which was the major wake up call for things to make a huge turn in another direction. They don't allow drinking on the beach which helped but I hear they have busted a few for drinking out of sunscreen bottles. The storm tore things up pretty bad and it looks like they are taking advantage of the fact that repairs need to be made and upgrading a lot of things. They are working on putting in an extra two lanes for the traffic near Pier Point. I had fun. Who knows when I'll get back down there????
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com