In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Battle of the Rats

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
I have been fighting the rats up here for 22 years. I am way out in the wilderness of the NC mountains, the nearest dumpster is 5 miles away, I think these rats are wild rats that live in the woods. I will wipe 'em all out, and then, four months later, there is a rat nest in the a/c blower fan of the Infiniti.
Or they are eating bread in the kitchen cabinet. GAME ON!

And back with the rat poison, and the killer traps, and the Havahart trap. Kill 9 or 10 of 'em in two weeks. Im Westen Nichts Neues. All Quiet On The Western Front.
And then, in four or five months, they are back! Three times they built nests in the a/c fan of the pickup and I fixed it myself, took an hour had to remove the glove box. Pain in the *.
One other time for the pickup and three times for the Infiniti, took it to the mechanic at $70 a pop, to get the rat nest out of the A/C blower fan. Rats destroyed a $150 air mattress. I have killed about 60 of these damn rats.

Well finally I got fed up when they built a big nest, in 3 days, under the hood of my shiny new Nissan pickup last September. That was the last straw. I bought these electronic rat repellers. These things really work. Got 5 in the basement, two in the crawl space, one in the dogtrot basement ant two in the carport.
Just go to Amazon and buy a $25 or $50 repeller, find one with four gold star reviews and buy it, I have about five different models.

I put these electric repellers in four months ago and the rats are gone!
Auf Wiedersehen!

iOxPE9Ul.jpg
The Ultrasonic Mouse and Rat Repellent. I like this one, just plug it in to a receptacle in the basement.

1CNdMUnl.jpg
T3R Trans Ultra. It sets on the floor.

83f2hZpl.jpg

hnpfzHjl.jpg

I don't know if one works better than another. I shelled out about $375 on Amazon and I plugged em all in on the same day, and, the next day the damn rats were gone. Best $375 I ever spent.

Comments

• HessianHessian Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    I have three Terriers, I call them the Rat Patrol. Rats are their calling and they love their job. The only downside is they think they are retrievers and keep bringing me dead Rats.
  • boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had the same problem, I had no electricity in the problem area so I never tried anything electronic. I did try many others, glue boards, rat bait etc.

I was disappointed with my covey of rat snakes and king snakes, they weren't keeping up.

I was very close to buying this automatic trap but I relocated the most affected vehicles, but I will buy this trap one day.

https://www.automatictrap.com/
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I have a Field(?) Mouse problem. They nest in the vehicles and store their food, chew up car covers, wires, gnaw on everything in my storage shed.
    I trap them, took in a barn cat, ...I have even shot them with my .22 pistol.

Cold weather drives then inside.

My best trap is a metal trash can with a handful of corn on the bottom. Mice jump in to eat but can't get out.
    I get the satisfaction of squashing them or turning them over to Yellow Tommy (the barn cat).

https://www.deviantart.com/jocarra/art/Endless-Realms-bestiary-Giant-Rat-497596248
    jfYkUpR.jpg
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jack russell good friend and a rat killer too :twisted:
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

And then, in four or five months, they are back!

I put these electric repellers in four months ago

We may have to wait a bit! Don
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hahaha, I find it ironic that dcon replied to this thread.... :lol:

Glad you found something that worked for you Allen..
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don is right, too early to tell the outcome. I have never yet seen ultrasonic devices actually work in repelling anything.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah they work great, I bought some of those back in the late 90s when I bought a house out in the country for my dearly departed wife. The people that owned it before had a 1 year supply of Oats in bags in the basement so the house was over ran with mice. I got at the house before I moved in and remodeled the whole thing Karma and put those in and never did see hide nor hair of a mouse again
  • Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same problem here, field mice in the garage/ vehicle. And Norway rats at on point in the small crawl space that's located just off the garage. They had chewed through the small entry door to crawl space, worked their way up into the wall ( we have a half bath that comes out into the side of the garage, thus the small crawl space ). Havoc (sic) was first option, dead rats in the wall insulation
    NOT good----.

opened up the wall, cleaned out dead animals/nests and resealed all the entry points I could find. Washed everything down with heave dose of bleach and put out several of the sonic units.

So far so good this past winter.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In September I was taking my Infiniti to my mechanic, Rodney, to get the rat nest out of the blower fan. This would make $280 that I had paid Rodney to clear out rat nests, at $70 a pop.
    And Rodney told me that he has an antique Mustang, and an antique Tbird, and he keeps them in the garage. Rodney told me that he has four receptacles in the garage, and he plugged one electronic rat repeller into each receptacle. This has been going on for 3 years, and he has had no problems with rats.

I know, it has only been 4 months that I have been rat-free, but these rats love to come inside during cold winter months. Good enough for Rodney, good enough for me. I think I have run off the rats.
    However, believe me, I will give an update in a few months, especially if the M*&!$$#&%!! rats return.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They work by emitting an ultrasonic noise that mice and rats can't stand. And unless you keep their bellies full, they'll move on to better places. But you do have to make sure that they have no source, otherwise they'll get used to the sound so that they have something to eat
  • Edspdog1Edspdog1 Member Posts: 225
    edited November -1
    Rats, did you say rats? Son had some new wiring installed an older house, house had the tar/fiber wire insulation.
    Rats ate the new wires insulation, yes I said ate, have no clue how they kept from getting shocked. Every inch of new wire was stripped clean.
    Research says the new wire might have something made of soybeans in it.
    I think he sniped them all and had electrician run all the new wires in metal conduit.
    Just a heads up on the rat control.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They work by emitting an ultrasonic noise that mice and rats can't stand. And unless you keep their bellies full, they'll move on to better places. But you do have to make sure that they have no source, otherwise they'll get used to the sound so that they have something to eat

Simply eliminating the food source will likely accomplish the same thing. As I indicated, I have seen several ultrasonic emitters tested and they did not drive off anything.