In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I guess the NRA isn't the powerhouse it once was

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
All I ever hear from the NRA sycophants on this forum is how the NRA is the best option we have because they have all the membership, money, and yadda, yadda, yadda. Seems as tho their support of bump stock bans has really hurt them in the pocketbook as more and more folks wake up to their back stabbing ways. Oh well.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/secrecy-self-dealing-and-greed-at-the-nra

Meanwhile, orgs like SAF and GOA (approx 2 million members strong) have continued to see an uptick in member rolls.
https://www.saf.org/saf-reports-1200-spike-in-members-donors-from-young-adults-since-fla/
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sad thing is that the things the NRA is good at (Training, Sport Shooting events, etc.) is, if we can believe the article, now only 10% of their budget.

Hard to believe that they have annual deficits of $ 40 million plus, though as they became more political I guess it is possible they adopted the habits of politicians.

If it does fail, one would hope that those who care about liberty will continue supporting the cause through other better positioned organizations.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The news on SAF is from 3 years ago. Yes the NRA sucks. So does our gov. When I joined the SAF all I got was a bill. So what are you proposing?

Action speaks louder then words. So the NRA sucks what is working for us?
    "What is truth?'
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Total BS article. What do you expect it is from NY.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited April 2019
    wpageabc wrote:
    The news on SAF is from 3 years ago. Yes the NRA sucks. So does our gov. When I joined the SAF all I got was a bill. So what are you proposing?

I'm not sure what you mean "all I got was a bill". The SAF does not spend copious amounts of money on merchandise for it's members choosing rather to put the funds they receive directly into courtroom fights. So what you got was preserved/restored rights. If you want swag, which I fail to see how that helps in the battle for 2A, then I think you're better off looking elsewhere. If you want your funds to go to the fight, SAF and GOA are the right place to be putting them. The sort of self seeking "I want the swag and magazines" is a rather diminished view of the way to fight this battle, IMO; one that hurts a lot more than helps. Unsurprisingly, this is the tact the NRA takes.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
    edited April 2019
    The sad thing is that the things the NRA is good at (Training, Sport Shooting events, etc.) is, if we can believe the article, now only 10% of their budget.

Hard to believe that they have annual deficits of $ 40 million plus, though as they became more political I guess it is possible they adopted the habits of politicians.

If it does fail, one would hope that those who care about liberty will continue supporting the cause through other better positioned organizations.
    Exactly Don. They're taking money from the things they're actually good at to fight legal battles that ensure a hamstrung 2A. It's the worst of all worlds and that was essentially my point in posting this.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    wpageabc wrote:

Did you want a full hat?

FWIW, I got a plaque of some sort IIRC as a Defenders Club member, but that was not the point.

I also give money every year because I believe in what they have done and continue to do.

Brad Steele
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Likely true, but the NRA is the biggest pro-2A rights groups out there. If the NRA goes down, it will take 2 or 3 of the other, smaller and weaker pro-2A organizations to fill the vacuum. That would be bad for gun rights. But would be good for the NRA haters, as they seem to want to seem the NRA destroyed, just as the leftist gun banners want it destroyed, regardless of any possible unexpected consequences for gun rights.

Edit. It just occurred how LOL funny it is for one of the numerous NRA haters here to post a topic like "I guess the NRA isn't the powerhouse it once was." That action is funny because the poster, and his NRA hating friends have, for about 10 years, been preaching, advocating, urging, hoping, etc. for the complete demise of the NRA. Why are they surprised the NRA has lost power during their crusade against the NRA? That is what they were hoping for. And they advocate for this NRA demise with little, if any, visible efforts for the NRA haters to support any pro-2A rights group to step up and take the NRA's place. Their battle hymn seems to be something like "I don't care what happens after, I just want the NRA gone." At least the NRA haters could try and provide a constructive example regarding what they are doing to help grow the power of some other 2A rights group to replace the NRA. I think only a fool would preach that we don't need at least some big and powerful and national gun rights groups. But I guess their flaws and short comings are just an example of the oh-so-common free riders in the gun rights war
    edited November -1
    tr fox wrote:
    Likely true, but the NRA is the biggest pro-2A rights groups out there. If the NRA goes down, it will take 2 or 3 of the other, smaller and weaker pro-2A organizations to fill the vacuum. That would be bad for gun rights. But would be good for the NRA haters, as they seem to want to seem the NRA destroyed, just as the leftist gun banners want it destroyed, regardless of any possible unexpected consequences for gun rights.

Edit. It just occurred how LOL funny it is for one of the numerous NRA haters here to post a topic like "I guess the NRA isn't the powerhouse it once was." That action is funny because the poster, and his NRA hating friends have, for about 10 years, been preaching, advocating, urging, hoping, etc. for the complete demise of the NRA. Why are they surprised the NRA has lost power during their crusade against the NRA? That is what they were hoping for. And they advocate for this NRA demise with little, if any, visible efforts for the NRA haters to support any pro-2A rights group to step up and take the NRA's place. Their battle hymn seems to be something like "I don't care what happens after, I just want the NRA gone." At least the NRA haters could try and provide a constructive example regarding what they are doing to help grow the power of some other 2A rights group to replace the NRA. I think only a fool would preach that we don't need at least some big and powerful and national gun rights groups. But I guess their flaws and short comings are just an example of the oh-so-common free riders in the gun rights war

It's not that you don't get it, it's how far you are from getting it.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1

I'm not even sure man has the equipment to measure a distance like that.
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I'm not even sure man has the equipment to measure a distance like that.

Definitely beyond conventional methods.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • ProceramicProceramic Member Posts: 334
    edited November -1
    tr fox wrote:

So it's us "NRA haters" who have destroyed the NRA? Not the NRA trampling the 2a for the last several decades? That's like blaming a gun manufacturer for"safety triggers" because you shot yourself in the leg...
    edited November -1
    The NRA has made its bed.

I for one would like to see it move towards a Constitutional liberty approach vs. an extra-Constitutional legislative approach. It is, however, a political group and not a civil liberties group.

It is the historic and current choice of the NRA shepherds, and apparently many of their flock.

I will be the first to support the NRA if it turns the corner and actually internalizes 2nd Amendment liberties. The last few years, however, suggest to me that I will not live to see that day.

Brad Steele