In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Utah slang words

remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
Its kind of a read, 11 words and phrases that you'll never hear any place else, or words and phrases that originated in Utah.

Living here I never did understand the substituting of swear words like fetch for the word f*** and heck for the word h***... why not just say the words if you're going to use the substitute, I think it's just as bad using the substitute as it is the real word, because that's what you mean.

I had no idea "I get shotgun!" originated from Utah. But it sure was big when I was a kid. Of course I always had the nicest vehicle in high school, so I always got to "got driver" :lol:

Funny thing is if I talk about a day of the week, I pronounce it right. But if I talk about dinner on a particular day... I'm guilty

https://www.ksl.com/article/46552232/these-11-phrases-are-a-dead-giveaway-that-youre-from-utah

Comments

• buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we used to play spades with this big Omaha Indian dude. when he overplayed his hand and took a bag, he'd apologize to his partner by saying "oops, my bag".

wasn't long before others among us picked it up and said "my bad". then they started saying "my bad" for any wrong thing they did, to apologize. then I started hearing people saying that everywhere.

I swear I never heard "my bad" before that. must be where it came from.
  • IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idahoans slang names for Utahans
    Carrot Snappers
    Chubs
    Utarads
    F@ckers from Utah

Just to name a few.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idahobound wrote:
    Carrot Snappers
    Chubs
    Utarads
    F@ckers from Utah

Just to name a few.

:lol::lol:
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,896 ******
    edited November -1
    Idahobound wrote:
    Carrot Snappers
    Chubs
    Utarads
    F@ckers from Utah

Just to name a few.

:lol::lol:
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WhiteClouder use to tell me "The wind doesn't blow in Idaho, Utah sucks". :mrgreen:
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,139 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In more ways than one, Utah is not a four-letter word.

I had not heard the "St Geezy" term, but assume it refers to the average age of most St George residents. (Now one of the top retriree cities in the US)
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    In more ways than one, Utah is not a four-letter word.

I had not heard the "St Geezy" term, but assume it refers to the average age of most St George residents. (Now one of the top retriree cities in the US)

I had never heard the term "St. Geezy" of either.... I guess the young punks that use that term are to afraid to say something like that in front of old geezers like you and I :D