In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

17 days lost is a 4 mile area OK

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
I have been following this tale of the lost Woman on a hiking trail in Maui. The trail is about 3 miles long in fairly rough terrain but the area is only about 4 miles square. To be "Lost" for 17 days in that area while people are looking for you would be tough to do.

I have my doubts.

Link:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7080267/Woman-got-lost-17-days-Hawaii-forest-says-wasnt-drugs-drunk.html

Some of the things she says are really Kooky

C&P
The yoga instructor who went missing in Hawaii for two weeks after getting lost on a hike says she welcomed the experience as a 'spiritual bootcamp' which was a welcome 'escape from the modern world'.

Amanda Eller, 35, spent two weeks in the wilderness after getting lost during a run in Maui. She survived by eating berries and drinking water from a stream, she said, before she was found.

Now in good health, despite suffering a broken tibia, she has told how she learned to 'embrace' the ordeal as an 'opportunity' and not a punishment.

'I never felt alone and I never felt fearful. It was an opportunity to overcome fear of everything.

'It was an opportunity to be stripped away of all the comforts of this modern world and see what was left,' she said.

Eller also believes the ordeal had special significance because 'it is the year of the boar'.

'This is the Chinese New Year, this is the year of the boar, I'm a boar,? she said.

?So I'm like finding myself sleeping in boar's home. And they were like trailblazing for me,' she said.

Eller said she had no 'drugs or alcohol' and that she gets high 'off life'.

?I definitely didn't have any drugs or alcohol or anything like that. Anybody that knows me and knows my spiritual journey in the last few years knows that I get high off of life, and I get high off of people and heart.?

'I just had such hope in my heart every day,' she said.

Eller admitted that when she heard helicopters missing her overnight, she felt invisible.

'You lose hope. As the sun starts to go down you're like, "Another night alone. How am I gonna stay warm? How am I gonna stay alive?"

She said eventually, she turned to the sky and asked for 'mercy'.

'I looked at the sky. I've had everything stripped away... I can barely move. ... And I had a moment where I was like, "mercy." ... I'm looking at the sky, like, 'Please pick me up. I'm ready. I've learned.

Oh yea and she has the required gofund me page set up ;)
RLTW

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No whackier than somebody claiming they found strength by praying.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you read the article? There is a lot more kooky stuff.

She got lost on purpose IMO.
    RLTW

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, she probably fell over a cliff to make it look more convincing. Or she is a city girl with no sense of direction.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If her boy friend bought that story I've got a bridge I'd like to sell him.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    All you have to do to get unlost on a HI island is walk down hill.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some relation of AOC perhaps?

:lol::lol:
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
    edited November -1
    All you have to do to get unlost on a HI island is walk down hill.

That is what I thought also.
    RLTW

• Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    D E M O C R A T
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds suspecious indeed.

Maybe someone told her to get lost.

She took it seriously.
    "What is truth?'
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Yeah, as Ross Perot would say, that dog don?t hunt.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:

I have my doubts.

Link:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7080267/Woman-got-lost-17-days-Hawaii-forest-says-wasnt-drugs-drunk.html

Eller also believes the ordeal had special significance because 'it is the year of the boar'.

'This is the Chinese New Year, this is the year of the boar, I'm a boar,? she said.

Wrong sweet thing :roll: , you're a sow........boars are the male hogs, even in China :lol:

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• castingcasting Member Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    All the above plus, what about that creepy dude laying in the hospital bed with her while the news crew was filming her. They must have some really powerful weed out there. It was covered here for three days. I was tired of the story the first time I saw it.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    weel they got their few minutes of fame to fill an empty news spot
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    and WOW took 16 days to clean all the bazinga out of her system...she could have flew out on the wings of a dove...
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    D E M O C R A T

+1

That explains it. Being a democrat, she was lost before she went in. ;)
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kind a reminds me of "Blair Witch Project.

I smell a book or a yapping tour of self promotion. I'll bet there are buried packages of Fiji water bottles and trail mix all over her camps.

Also there's "berries" in Hawaii? Banana and other tropical fruits yeah but berries? Be funny she came out fatter than when she went in :lol:.
    edited November -1
    Perhaps some of you missed the part about the "broken tibia." Which just might have put your suggestions of walking downhill in question.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been following this story since Day 1, it is covered incessantly on national media. I smelled BS on it from day one.
    Yeah, she broke her ankle, on the seventh day.

I heard her talking in an interview, and she said she hiked in for about 3 miles, and she sat down on a log to rest, and when she stood up, she didn't know where she was. What? How about, you just walk right back up the trail you just walked down. To walk in on a trail and to be still on the trail, in daylight, and to be lost, sounds like she took some LSD.
    This is entirely possible, that would get her plenty disoriented, and unable to detect it 14 days later.

Or, you find a creek, and follow the creek downhill to civilization. On Hawaii, either a town, or the coast.

This story is bogus.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    Perhaps some of you missed the part about the "broken tibia." Which just might have put your suggestions of walking downhill in question.

I noted that. 17 days still seems like an eternity to go less than 4 miles down hill.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you get lost for 17 days in a 4 sq. mile area,

You are an IDIOT.

(And) You deserve to be lost. (Especially on HI.)
    edited November -1
    She had a water source, she had a food source, she had a broken leg -- and a very good rule of survival is stay put and let them find you.

She might be a Zen head, but she did hang in there until she was rescued. A Bear Grylls wannabe would've fallen off a cliff.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    A Bear Grylls wannabe would've fallen off a cliff.

He did incredibly stupid stuff on that series.

I will attempt to rappel 150' with my shoelaces. I will swim this rapid on my inflated underwear. (Yes, that is exactly what people in trouble should do.)
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    She had a water source, she had a food source, she had a broken leg -- and a very good rule of survival is stay put and let them find you.

She might be a Zen head, but she did hang in there until she was rescued. A Bear Grylls wannabe would've fallen off a cliff.

She didn't stay in one place, she wandered all over even with a broken tibia. She also went hiking in flip flops and had no water, food, map or compass.

I think she is an lucky idiot at best.
    RLTW