In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Voting

Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
I would like to see all elections use paper ballots. Anyone agree??

Comments

• spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we still use paper ballots in the big city of * Flats in Pothole County Kansas ..are the electronic voting machines now in use made in the USA or elsewhere ?????
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I've been voting for forty years and I've never seen a "voting machine". It was always paper ballots in California, and we use paper ballots in Florida. Machine voting? They can keep them!
  • Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I first starting voting we had the large machines with the levers that you pulled for the candidate. When you opened the curtain the levers flipped back to the starting position and the vote was tallied.

Then it was a paper form where you filled in the little bubble for the candidate that you wanted (kind of like in high school on tests)

Then it was a touch screen where you just touched the candidate that you wanted and they were highlighted. No paper.

The last election it was back to the bubbles.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree.

I have been voting with absentee ballots most of the time so I know my vote wasn't counted.

Since I retired here in NC we have had the little bubble fin in type paper ballots.
    RLTW

• gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was in grade school we were allowed to try out the voting machines. You pulled little levers & then pulled a larger lever when you were finished. Eisenhower tromped Stevenson in our vote in 1952. Sure seemed a lot easier than the *&^%$#^ paper ballots we have in Kalifornia. I can't imagine how anything could be worse. It takes months for them to get final results & with millions of illegal aliens being given absentee ballots voter fraud couldn't possibly get any worse.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also think they should ban the news from reporting results so many hours before and after the polls open/close, I think the media is a bigger influence than any foreign country could ever be...
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have been on mail-in ballots only for years.

They did it to increase the number of voters.

Not a fan of the system.

If it is important to you, go to a polling place.

If it is not important enough to you to go to a polling place, please don't vote.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • fatcat458fatcat458 Member Posts: 380 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hillbille wrote:
    I also think they should ban the news from reporting results so many hours before and after the polls open/close, I think the media is a bigger influence than any foreign country could ever be...

A M E N to that hb
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Early voting is garbage. You should have one day to vote and you go vote. If you cannot be there fill out an absentee ballot.

These organizations that go out and round people up to vote are suspicious in my eyes too. In this day and age I really don't see how just about everyone cannot get to a voting booth on their own or with some help from a friend. My Dad has dementia and lives in an ALF I brought him a absentee ballot and he voted ;) Stacy Abrams had to be stopped :mrgreen:
    RLTW

• WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    In this day and age I really don't see how just about everyone cannot get to a voting booth on their own or with some help from a friend.
    Not so sure about that... Nowadays, we?re such a global society that (maybe just in my opinion) it may be difficult to ?get home? to vote. I know that a couple of times in the past, my voting booth was over 2 hours away on Election Day.

We?re no longer a stationary society.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    If we ever get to where we vote with cell phones, millenial's will rule the country.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Paper ballots????

No wonder the Dems are buying up all the 1962 mimeograph machines!!!

using-a-mimeograph-machine-underwood-archives.jpg