In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NEED HELP TO IDENTFY UNKNOWN MAUSER

IDRACCAIDRACCA Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
edited June 2019 in Ask the Experts
Can any one tell me what kind of Mauser this is and the approximate value?

Thanks for your consideration

http://tinypic.com/a/az6nom/2

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I think it was scrubbed. Pic's aren't very clear and they load really slow for me. You might get an idea of who made it and perhaps when by researching the stamps and proof marks (chalk in the marks helps).

Added Looks like it was made to be a semi-fancy '98' 'German/European' sporting/hunting rifle. Sling stud on a ribbed barrel, double set triggers, engraving, better sights.

Appears to be in good condition - well carried/used. Caliber - no clue from the pic's. I'd say its a shooter not a collector piece.
  • rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    +1, from what Charlie says. Need quality close ups of all the markings. For any identification and valuation.

Countries over there, were real strict about proof marks. The only exception. Were the rifles made shortly after the war, for American G.I.'s The German gunsmiths would fix up/sporterize a Mauser. With parts that they had on hand, without any of the required commercial proof marks. It was off the economy, under the table work. That the G.I.'s paid for, with cigarettes and coffee, from the PX. The Germans figured that the rifles would be just shipped back to the States. And nobody would be the wiser.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    just to 'cover the bases' you have a m-98 mauser sporter. It could be a reworked military or a purpose built commercial sporter that has had a double set trigger installed. as others have said the 'proof' marks will help, you may have to do a chamber cast to determine the cal.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CAUTION
    Pictures brought along one of those fake virus warnings.

But I eventually got a look at them. The faint markings are not familiar.
    One thing that stands out is that the front guard screw does not have the lock screw of a military Mauser.
  • Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look up Danzig Mausers. I'll pull one out tomorrow & compare with your pics.
  • Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not enough similarities to say it's a Danzig.
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it was scrubbed. Pic's aren't very clear and they load really slow for me. You might get an idea of who made it and perhaps when by researching the stamps and proof marks (chalk in the marks helps).

Added Looks like it was made to be a semi-fancy '98' 'German/European' sporting/hunting rifle. Sling stud on a ribbed barrel, double set triggers, engraving, better sights.

Appears to be in good condition - well carried/used. Caliber - no clue from the pic's. I'd say its a shooter not a collector piece.

+1 Charlie
    just because you could doesn't mean you should