In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

HazMat Question

Bottom GunBottom Gun Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
edited June 2019 in Ask the Experts
Is primed brass subject to HazMat restrictions?
Can it be shipped via US Mail?

Thanks!!!!
Mechanical engineers have their moments.

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Primed brass is treated the same as loaded ammunition. It cannot be mailed- by anyone.
  • mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fedx or ups only
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, but.....

On the General Discussion forum, Hoosier posted a new Fedex policy of fining you $350 if your Haz Mat or Dangerous Goods shipment is determined to be "non-compliant". Could a packing or labeling error subject us to that penalty?

Neal
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could a packing or labeling error subject us to that penalty?

Yes.

You, the individual sending the package are now 100% responsible for the boxing and packing according to the law. This is essentially battling those folks who ship Hazmat material in plain packaging in order to avoid paying the Hazmat charges. So, if you use the wrong type of box or the wrong type of packing material without the Hazmat warnings and labels for shipping Hazmat materials, you can be fined.

The question really becomes 'how do they know what's in the box without opening it?' Are they going to open or x-ray every box now?

This is simply another Gubbmint tax.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard rumors of people mailing a package USPS with no return address on it. No way to ever prove who sent it. Not something I would recomend.
  • 1873man1873man Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I received a double order of a product that was shipped hazmat and my credit card was double charged $1400. I called the seller and asked how to ship it back. They gave me their Fedex and UPS account numbers to use but when I called Fedex since that is the way it came and told them it had all the documents, labels and boxing it came with but they said in order for me to send it back I would need a contract with Fedex as a hazmat shipper with all the required training to box, package and label the hazmat product. The packaging and labels have to certified by me, the shipper as being correct. I checked with several fedex shipping stores and they can't ship it. In the end the seller had to hire a hazmat shipper to pick up the package and ship it for them. The package has been waiting a week to get picked up so far.
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • 1873man1873man Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    slumlord44 wrote:
    I have heard rumors of people mailing a package USPS with no return address on it. No way to ever prove who sent it. Not something I would recomend.

With the history of people mailing deadly devices or deadly substances to public officials the punishments for not following the shipping requirements has gotten severe.
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You, the individual sending the package are now 100% responsible for the boxing and packing according to the law. This is essentially battling those folks who ship Hazmat material in plain packaging in order to avoid paying the Hazmat charges. So, if you use the wrong type of box or the wrong type of packing material without the Hazmat warnings and labels for shipping Hazmat materials, you can be fined.
    This^^^
    I have no love for these shipping companies, but they have to cover their six. DOT fines for Haz-Mat shipping violations usually start about $20,000. Transport vehicle is "red tagged" (impounded with the rest of the load) until fines are paid and violation is corrected. If the driver screwed up and missed something where he is found to be at fault, he gets red tagged to the crossbar hotel until the fine is paid.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Primed brass is treated the same as ammunition. It cannot be mailed by US Mail. It CAN be shipped by common carrier (UPS. FedEx) GROUND . Unless you have over 62 pounds of it, it does not trigger all the HAZCOM hoo-hah. Do NOT try to ship tracer ammo like that. Cartridges, small arms are considered "Ordinary Consumer Goods".
  • Bottom GunBottom Gun Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the good info !!!!
    Mechanical engineers have their moments.
This discussion has been closed.