In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The Survival of the 2A will be up to the SCOTUS

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
Face it peeps. Whether our beloved 2A thrives or dies is going to at some point be decided by the SCOTUS. And before that decisive SC decision is made, our 2A is going to be constantly beaten up on and have to survive many federal lower court rulings before the final SCOTUS decision. We 2A people got the gift of a lifetime from the Heller decision, a few years ago. We 2A people squeaked by with one single vote that could have quite easily gone against us. Although the usual anti-NRA crowd showed their usual anger by claiming that Heller decision was actually harmful for gun rights. And of course I agree that decision was not nearly perfect enough and did not establish the 2A strong enough as being a untouchable constitutional right as I would have liked. That less than perfect decision is commonly found in many high court decisions. However, had the SC ruled AGAINST Heller and in effect ruled that the 2A was NOT a constitution right, that would have been a disaster and likely the end of citizens firearm ownership. So, yeah, I believe a reasonable thinking should be happy that we 2A people came out of the SC decision as well as we did.

So, if we can agree that our future 2A rights are going to be decided in lower federal courts and finally making it to the big, final SC decision, please note that since Pres. Trump has come along, he has succeeded in appointing 2 more conservatives justices onto the SC. And he still has time to perhaps appoint yet another, or maybe two, conservative justices onto the SC. Plus, Pres. Trump has also been busy and very successful about appointing numerous conservative justices onto the lower federal courts. So, things are not only looking good for our 2A, but with Pres. Trump on the job, the fate of the 2A is looking better and better after each Pres. Trump judge appointment.

Federal politicians rarely, if ever, make any reference to any pro-2A rights group other than the NRA. Pres. Trump is a friend of the NRA. The NRA is a friend of Pres. Trump. Do the math and see if there isn't at least a little something there for you NRA haters to love :)

Comments

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Let's just hope beyond hope that the NRA doesn't jump into future court cases and muddy the waters with arguments that are detrimental to 2A, like they did in Heller.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They had a chance to hear a 2A case this week (6/10/19) and turned it down. Roberts isn?t necessarily all that pro 2A and neither is Gorsuch. As to Trump being friends with the NRA so what? They both have proved to be Anti 2nd Amendment violators. Under the Trump administration we have had a bumpstock ban by executive fiat with NRA support, red flag laws again with NRA support. And just last week Trump said on camera multiple times that he didn?t like silencers and will look into banning them(with the NRA silent on the issue). I guess Trump forgot Don Jr. is on the board of a silencer rights organization. Yes the 8 year assault on the 2nd Amendment is over. What a joke. I?ve said it 100 times and people either just don?t get it or just don?t care because Dear Leader can do no wrong but he is no friend of the 2nd Amendment, and never has been one. I believe if he could get his wall he would sign an ?assault weapon? ban if that?s what it took. And the way this current SCOTUS is they might not even hear it.
  • lt496lt496 Member Posts: 116
    edited November -1
    Umm, no...its survival will be up to us, 'if' there is a sufficient remnant of true individualists and liberty warriors and frankly I am not optimistic based upon all available evidence.

Sc'r'otus is not and never has been the actual final arbiter of the Constitution or of fundamental essential liberty. This is merely a created narrative sold to people by collectivist govt.
    "Freedom is not for the timid" III% BFYTW
  • mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    lt496 wrote:
    Umm, no...its survival will be up to us, 'if' there is a sufficient remnant of true individualists and liberty warriors and frankly I am not optimistic based upon all available evidence.

Sc'r'otus is not and never has been the actual final arbiter of the Constitution or of fundamental essential liberty. This is merely a created narrative sold to people by collectivist govt.

Yep, up to the people.
    edited November -1
    ruger41 wrote:
    They had a chance to hear a 2A case this week (6/10/19) and turned it down. Roberts isn?t necessarily all that pro 2A and neither is Gorsuch. As to Trump being friends with the NRA so what? They both have proved to be Anti 2nd Amendment violators. Under the Trump administration we have had a bumpstock ban by executive fiat with NRA support, red flag laws again with NRA support. And just last week Trump said on camera multiple times that he didn?t like silencers and will look into banning them(with the NRA silent on the issue). I guess Trump forgot Don Jr. is on the board of a silencer rights organization. Yes the 8 year assault on the 2nd Amendment is over. What a joke. I?ve said it 100 times and people either just don?t get it or just don?t care because Dear Leader can do no wrong but he is no friend of the 2nd Amendment, and never has been one. I believe if he could get his wall he would sign an ?assault weapon? ban if that?s what it took. And the way this current SCOTUS is they might not even hear it.

Well, Hillary is not in jail yet, Trump is outspending every other president to date, more illegals have entered this year than all years combined (wall/border not secure). Hillary not in jail yet.

The economy is robust, but not necessarily because of anything he did, but rather because the people did it, he may have "allowed" it to happen.

He appointed 2 liberals to the supreme court. How many libs did he appoint to the lower courts?

Schools have not been reigned in, media runs amuck, DOJ is still laughable, and the list goes on.

And yet this was a better choice than Hillary. Well, maybe not. If Hillary had gotten in, we could easily be in revolution and on our way to fixing this mess.

Trump is good entertainment, I'll give him that.
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The survival of the 2nd amenment like the Republic as Franklin noted is up to us. Its disheartening to see folks on a gun enthusiats forum insulting each other when we are on the same team when it comes to the constitution and the 2nd amendment.

In order to help the cause of the 2nd amendment. Would it not be better to try to reach the left. Others needing convincing who would certainly not be reading what we are discussing here. Op Ed letters to media outlets, call in, voting and contacting our representatives these folks need to be educated.

Letting folk know about the old widow that stopped the bad guy with her legacy gun. The helpless teenager who held the bugerlers with a rifle. Things lke that.

Of course ultimately the Supreme Court gets the final decision. But without the culture of the country behind us. We lose.
    "What is truth?'
    edited November -1
    wpageabc wrote:
    The survival of the 2nd amenment like the Republic as Franklin noted is up to us. Its disheartening to see folks on a gun enthusiats forum insulting each other when we are on the same team when it comes to the constitution and the 2nd amendment.

In order to help the cause of the 2nd amendment. Would it not be better to try to reach the left. Others needing convincing who would certainly not be reading what we are discussing here. Op Ed letters to media outlets, call in, voting and contacting our representatives these folks need to be educated.

Letting folk know about the old widow that stopped the bad guy with her legacy gun. The helpless teenager who held the bugerlers with a rifle. Things lke that.

Of course ultimately the Supreme Court gets the final decision. But without the culture of the country behind us. We lose.

Sigh....

A hypothetical, if I may.

Suppose the SC'R'OTUS opines at some point that White males are domestic terrorists and are to be rounded up and put in internment camps for reeducation and the 'greater good'. After all, the SC'R'OTUS has previously ruled that it is constitutional to do such things.

Do you go all 'law abiding' and since SC'R'OTUS is the final arbiter of all things, according to you, you shuffle off to the camp?

How about the SC'R'OTUS opines that all firearms are to be turned in or confiscated under penalty of imprisonment and forfeiture of your real property, since the 2A is antiquated and doesn't apply in modern times. When the big-g comes knocking you are obliged to shuffle off and gather you guns and turn them in, right?

After all, the final decision has been made, according to you.

One could substitute all manner of scenarios to 'test' your supposition, but I hope you get the idea.

What a nation of indoctrinated serfs we have become.

A ponderism, if I may.......

" ....The Republic was founded by men who were not ?law abiding?. Those men smuggled guns and other things. Rioted. Tarred and feathered government employees. Evaded taxes. Shot cops (Redcoats and Tories). 'Law abiding? just means you are indoctrinated and are one who follows the edicts of a group so morally corrupt that they became legislators. Better a man be honest than 'law abiding'. Most laws deserve to be broken, they only exist to oppress individuals, liberty and the general citizen so the government can take our money and our freedom. "
    edited November -1
    wpageabc wrote:

No, a rattle snake is a rattle snake, try and talk it out of biting you OK?

We the people get the final decision. One day leader will appear, until then we shall take it in the shorts because nobody wants to step up.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    wpageabc wrote:

I can assure you that folks here are NOT on the same team. There are those of us here who defend 2A, and those who disparage it and welcome all manner of laws, regulations, and "woke" thinking regarding "gun safety".... for the children, don't cha know.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS !!
    Abort Cuomo
    edited November -1
    nyforester wrote:
    FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS !!

My Brother.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ha. they don't have to pry it from your cold dead fingers when it isn't available to your fingers in the first place.
    edited November -1
    ha. they don't have to pry it from your cold dead fingers when it isn't available to your fingers in the first place.

That statement would only hold true if one has no firearms and would then be unable to 'legally' acquire firearms.

Conversely, anyone already holding such personal private property and in the face of some 'legal tyranny' and illegitimate legislation subsequently surrenders said private property rather than putting those firearms to their intended usage, would be a puss and an utter waste of skin as a man.

It seems to me.