In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Astra Cub Pistol Question

buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
edited June 2019 in Ask the Experts
Hello!
Can anyone tell me if the slide and frame for the Astra cub pistol are the same for the .25ACP as they are for the .22 short? I have parts to assemble a .25ACP, but the barrel will not go in the slide and turn to lock.
Thanks!
buttplate

Comments

• rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    I never owned or worked on a Cub. But a lot of the Spanish commercial guns, were hand fitted from parts made by subcontractors. As they weren't intended for military use. The "Milspec" concept, wasn't a factor in their fabrication. Long as they functioned, and could pass the Spanish proof house requirements. That was all that was required.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slide & barrel should not be "mix & match". The .22 short is a rimfire, the .25 acp is centerfire. Look at the back of the slide (the breech face). The same frame should work for either.

The Astra Cub is an excellent quality gun. Astra made the same gun as the "Junior Colt" in the early 1960's. It has walnut grips & the slide is stamped "MADE IN SPAIN". There were at least 2 later versions of the "Junior Colt" made by other manufacturers, & none was anywhere near the quality of the Astra-made gun.

Neal
  • buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much for your inputs. My question is: if the same frame is used in both calibers, why am I not able to remove and install the barrel correctly. I can start it in, turn it so the lugs are up, but it won't slide in so I can't rotate the lugs down on their mates. I can't see any type of damage to the frame, slide, or barrel. That's why I am so curious as to if I have the correct caliber frame.
    buttplate
  • rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    buttplate wrote:
    Thank you very much for your inputs. My question is: if the same frame is used in both calibers, why am I not able to remove and install the barrel correctly. I can start it in, turn it so the lugs are up, but it won't slide in so I can't rotate the lugs down on their mates. I can't see any type of damage to the frame, slide, or barrel. That's why I am so curious as to if I have the correct caliber frame.
    buttplate

Per my above post, the parts were hand fitted by the assemblers. Who were very skilled workman.

I would very carefully coat the barrel with ink from a Sharpie pen. To see where the interference point is. Very,very carefully remove material from the barrel. Using, files, emory cloth or a Dremel. You just want to remove enough. On a trial and error basis, so that the the barrel and frame lugs engage. But are still have a tight fit. I've done this in the past. It takes a lot of patience. And can be a gigantic pain in the butt. Good Luck!