In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mauser Help Please

Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
edited June 2019 in Ask the Experts
Received a beautiful Cogswell & Harrison .242 Express Mauser yesterday. The rifle has some history and I'm told went to Africa at least once in the 1930's. The problem is the bolt is missing and no one has a clue what happened to it. I have a German commercial Mauser here chambered for .300 Savage (marked .300 US). I tried the bolt and it slid right into the English rifle and everything worked great. QUESTION: How hard would it be to fit another bolt? I don't have the diminutions of the cartridge yet but I can get that. This is a very high quality rifle in great condition so it would be worth getting it running again. Anybody have any experience with the .224 Express??

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.242_Rimless_Nitro_Express. How interesting. I have seen bolts for sale. Some even new. Back in the day bolts were often removed and carried separately to discourage theft during shipping. To this day they still call the place "Nirobbery" Good luck
  • rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    According to "Cartridges of the world". It a real odd ball. Rimless case a little longer than .243 Winchester, but smaller in diameter. But chambered for bullets anywhere between .249 to .253 in diameter. Obviously .243 bullets aren't going to be accurate.

Because of this, even if you get a bolt that fits the receiver. Fabricating brass, and obtaining correct diameter bullets, to headspace the bolt is going to be a bear.

I wouldn't even waste my time, aggravating myself with it. Sell it to a some guy who like a challenge, and has a lot of time on his hands and money to make it work.
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like some good advice right there. Thank you Sir!!
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ricci,

Can you post photographs of the rifle, or send them to me? I can send you a PM with my e-mail address.

Here is an image of the cartridge:

242%20VICKERS%20KYNOCH.jpg242%20VICKERS%20FULL1.jpg

Originally loaded by Kynoch in Great Britain. Here is an originally box of 5 cartridges for sale at Westley Richards:

Ammo-USA-1504-Edit-40.jpg

$40.00 for 5 cartridges in original box

https://www.theexplora.com/vintage-british-kynoch-eley-ammunition-for-rifles/

PTG has the reamer print for this and can make one for you.

I personally would buy the box of ammunition from WR, cast the chamber, compare the dimensions and if safe shoot one. I'm not lazy about stuff like this, I enjoy the challenge of recreating history.

Best.