In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stock ID please

jpcjpc Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in Ask the Experts
Came in a group and can't ID it.............

Hardwood

thanks for the help

Comments

• babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your pic #002......place a ruler on the top of the wood so we can see distance of screws and notches of wood.
    Then take the pic again.
    :?
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Notch on left rear of action looks like clearance for 1903 Springfield cutoff.

Note the rear of inletting is chipped out from recoil against too tight contact.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    my $.02....small ring mauser (m-94/95/96)
  • jpcjpc Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hawk Carse wrote:

Note the rear of inletting is chipped out from recoil against too tight contact.
    It's Small ring Mauser, but that notch is strange.
    That "chip" looks like one, but it's from the cocking piece on the Mauser bolt. Either inletted like that, or the CP will cut it's own groove.

hillbille, the Mauser safety sits on top of the bolt shroud, well above that notch. Even a left hand low scope safety with a 3" lever would still clear the stock. I've racked my brain trying to figure out wth that cutout would be for. It sits too far back for a receiver sight.
    My best WAG would be a left hand side safety trigger, but...there would be inletting apparent on the inside of the wood for clearance.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The blown up picture does indeed show a notch there, even some finish left in it. Like it was made that way but not quite big enough.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TRAP55 wrote:
    Hawk Carse wrote:

It's Small ring Mauser, but that notch is strange.
    That "chip" looks like one, but it's from the cocking piece on the Mauser bolt. Either inletted like that, or the CP will cut it's own groove.

trap could that notch be so the safety will flip all the way down and catch, instead of stopping short and resting on the stock??? looks like a small line right in the center in the last picture.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about this for an idea?

serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fd%2Fd8%2FMannlicher_M1895_from_the_Swedish_Army_Museum.jpg&sp=27eec5ac289420df7a862b38915295c8
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nononsense, First one I thought of, but isn't that mag well inlet wider than the M95? Got focused on that notch, and didn't pay attention to the screw hole spacing, that's closer to a Mini Mauser. Okay, now I'm stumped. :oops: