In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rescind Medals of Honor from soldiers at Wounded Knee

beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
Lawmakers seek to rescind Medals of Honor from soldiers at Wounded Knee massacre

Three House members are calling for Congress to posthumously rescind Medals of Honor awarded to 20 U.S. soldiers who participated in the 1890 Wounded Knee massacre, where an estimated 250 Native Americans -- mostly women and children -- were killed.

Rep. Paul Cook, R-Calif., and Democrats Denny Heck of Washington and Deb Haaland of New Mexico introduced the Remove the Stain bill Tuesday to strip the soldiers of America's highest military award.

?It bothers me as a professional military person and as a historian ? with not only the massacre and the slaughter and with everything that happened to a group of people, but basically to perpetuate a lie that is associated with the highest award we have for valor,? said Cook, a decorated Marine veteran of the Vietnam War, according to the Washington Times.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/lawmakers-seek-to-rescind-medals-of-honor-from-soldiers-at-wounded-knee-massacre
0M9InwN.gif[

Comments

• wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A better way may be to honor the Native Americans in some way.

What was done at the time may have seemed correct with the views of the people.
    "What is truth?'
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    beneteau wrote:
    Lawmakers seek to rescind Medals of Honor from soldiers at Wounded Knee massacre

?It bothers me as a professional military person and as a historian ? with not only the massacre and the slaughter and with everything that happened to a group of people, but basically to perpetuate a lie that is associated with the highest award we have for valor,? said Cook, a decorated Marine veteran of the Vietnam War, according to the Washington Times.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/lawmakers-seek-to-rescind-medals-of-honor-from-soldiers-at-wounded-knee-massacre

I agree with this statement.

The fact there were "20 Medals of Honor," awarded with this debacle is ridiculous.

Save it for Soldiers who have actually "Earned it."
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WELL lets just change all of history to placate our * people .....rite or rong ...... HAPPY NOW ??????????
    edited November -1
    spasmcreek wrote:
    WELL lets just change all of history to placate our * people .....rite or rong ...... HAPPY NOW ??????????

Take it as you will Sir.

It is the right thing to do, in my humble opinion.

You are okay with "20 Medals of Honor," being awarded for this travesty? Personally, I am not.

Standing up to the plate. You?
    edited November -1
    there has to be a better way to deal with a 129 YEAR OLD event than our current mascochism of political correctness.... maybe give each of the relatives????? a million dollars each...would u sleep better now ??? GOD help us if the democrats get ahold of this before the election
    edited November -1
    spasmcreek wrote:
    there has to be a better way to deal with a 129 YEAR OLD event than our current mascochism of political correctness.... maybe give each of the relatives????? a million dollars each...would u sleep better now ??? GOD help us if the democrats get ahold of this before the election

No.

A "Million dollars each," is not a move in the right/correct direction.

Stripping those undeserving of a "Medal of Honor," is a move - in the right direction.

(Again) Your view may differ.

This debacle, was not a "Medal of Honor," worthy event. Never was, never will be.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This would set a dangerous precedent, I view it in the same terms as tearing down memorials of our Nations history.
    edited November -1
    shilowar wrote:
    This would set a dangerous precedent, I view it in the same terms as tearing down memorials of our Nations history.

Sorry Sir, I personally believe you are wrong/incorrect.

This never was a "Medal of Honor," worthy event. The fact there were 20, handed out, was ludicrous.

Save them for the Soldiers, who actually earned them.

(Again) My Personal Opinion.
  • gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    gruntled2 wrote:

As should have been the case.
    edited November -1
    i agree with you but there has to be a more productive solution.....one forgets to consider the thinking of that era which was to remove the natives from the expansion of all others into their territory...the AMERICAN govt never honored a SINGLE TREATY it made with native peoples....kill off the buffalo to remove their eats, clothing, and shelter...traders gave them blankets tainted with diseases and removed them to reservations to contain and starve and break their will.... i have detailed accounts of this event and others...my lake home in eastern kansas is a few short miles from one stop (on the Trail of Tears....where many starved and froze over winter.......and on and on, but hosting a paper ceremony is really meaningless unless u are a politician and bask in this ....
    edited November -1
    also Wounded Knee was simple revenge for Custers defeat.. Custer was a vain glory seeker who wanted a military victory to bolster his run for President......sounds quite familiar now many years later......
    edited November -1
    spasmcreek wrote:
    also Wounded Knee was simple revenge for Custers defeat.. Custer was a vain glory seeker who wanted a military victory to bolster his run for President......sounds quite familiar now many years later......

Yes, that makes the slaughter of Women and Children okay, apparently.

Worthy of 20 "Medals of Honor."

Right?

(No. Not in the least.)
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gruntled2 wrote:

The majority of the 911 men that were awarded the MOH that was taken away didn't try to have it awarded to them in the first place and didn't do anything wrong. They figured, what the hell, if they think I deserve it then who am I to turn down such a big honor and so it was they accepted the metal as a lot of people would. Then years later when they were stripped of the metal it became a huge embarrassment to them for which they did not really deserve. The Army should have just let that dog lie. The politicians and the leaders in the Army were the ones that made the mistake not the soldiers themselves. That's just my opinion.
    edited June 2019
    gruntled2 wrote:

The majority of the 911 men that were awarded the MOH that was taken away didn't try to have it awarded to them in the first place and didn't do anything wrong. They figured, what the hell, if they think I deserve it then who am I to turn down such a big honor and so it was they accepted the metal as a lot of people would. Then years later when they were stripped of the metal it became a huge embarrassment to them for which they did not really deserve. The Army should have just let that dog lie. The politicians and the leaders in the Army were the ones that made the mistake not the soldiers themselves. That's just my opinion.

If you "Know," You did not earn it, why accept it? (I believe I can pretty much can answer that.)

(And it's medal, by the way.)

This Honor, should go to our very Best of the Best.

(Not) to the BS, that transpired there. (20 "Medal of Honor?") For what transpired there? I think not.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I agree medals never should have been awarded to soldiers who perpetrated a massacre, presumably to avenge Custers troops, I seems to me that 143 years later, recinding them benefits no one. Leave it to history, we can all draw our own conclusions about the merit of the awards. I may not admire some of the Southern soldiers and statesmen (or some of the Northern ones for that matter), but the statues and sculptures are part of our history, and applying todays PC ethic is certainly revisionist, and regretable.
  • WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I agree that those were probably not earned, I feel that it?s another attempt to judge people of the past by current standards.

Sure, they didn?t earn them. But as noted above, let that sleeping dog lie. And I?m not saying I agree with what was done at Wounded Knee.

While not exactly the same, this, to me, is in the same realm as the reparations BS being spewed. Yes, bad siht happened. But no one alive today had any part in it. Move on and learn from it.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rescid those medals is wrong in so many ways.

At the time, the American Indian was 'the enemy' and total elimination was thought by many as the best solution. Even Frank Baum who is noted for writing "The Wizard of Oz" stated "The only good Indian, is a dead Indian."

At this rate, with the 'rewriting of history' and proposals to pay reparations to negros 'cause over a century ago some were slaves, it won't be long and some loon will proclaim to rescind the Medals of Honor given the those who fought in WWI and in WWII because now we are friendly with the Germans and the Japanese.

:lol:
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:

At the time, the American Indian was 'the enemy' and total elimination was thought by many as the best solution. Even Frank Baum who is noted for writing "The Wizard of Oz" stated "The only good Indian, is a dead Indian."

At this rate, with the 'rewriting of history' and proposals to pay reparations to negros 'cause over a century ago some were slaves, it won't be long and some loon will proclaim to rescind the Medals of Honor given the those who fought in WWI and in WWII because now we are friendly with the Germans and the Japanese.

Sorry, not on the same track, even remotely.
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:

The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.

edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:

So you are of the belief none of the Medal of Honor awards were given to our soldiers who shot and killed unarmed individuals. :o

edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    Quick&Dead wrote:

So you are of the belief none of the Medal of Honor awards were given to our soldiers who shot and killed unarmed individuals. :o

So, .................Do you (honestly) believe 20 Medal of Honor recipients were warranted in this action?
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:

So, .................Do you (honestly) believe 20 Medal of Honor recipients were warranted in this action?

It was a different time with different beliefs ..... (once people believed the world was flat and slavery was 1000% legal) ... and besides, I was not there nor involved in the decision making process to approve the awards. Nor was anyone else alive today.

In hindsight, many things look different - so it's a woulda, shoulda, coulda thing!

History should not be messed with .... same with tearing down statues of the Confederate soldiers.

My opinion.

• JohnERebJohnEReb Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what it's worth, a 1996 letter from John McCain, then Chairman of the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs, written to a Mr. Jordon Dill in reference to a petition to rescind the medals.

http://www.dickshovel.com/mccain.html

http://www.dickshovel.com/mccainrsp.html

From: Senator John McCain - Chairman Senate Committee on Indian Affairs

Concerning: Rescindment of Medals of (dis)Honor

Date: June 24, 1996

Dear Mr. Dill,

Thank you for your recent letters, together with signatures and comments from other citizens via the Internet, proposing that Congress rescind seventeen Medals of Honor awarded to U.S. Army personnel for actions at Wounded Knee, South Dakota, on December 29, 1890, and at Drexel Mission on the following day.

I appreciate why you view with dismay the award of the nation's highest decoration for valor to soldiers of the United States Army for their individual efforts in an action that resulted in the death or wounding of as many as 370 Indian men, women and children. I also appreciate the concern that these awards can be viewed as diminishing the value of Medals of Honor awarded for conduct in other conflicts.

The policies and decisions of the United States Government that led to the Army's being at Wounded Knee in 1890 doubtless can be characterized as unjust, unwise, or worse. Nevertheless, a retrospective judgement that the Government's policies and actions were dishonorable does not warrant rescinding the medals awarded to individual soldiers for bravery in a brief, fierce fight in which 25 soldiers were killed and 45 others wounded. Neither today's standards for awarding the medal nor policies of the United States with regard to Indian tribes are what they were in 1890.

The criteria by which the Medal of Honor is awarded have changed greatly since the original, ambiguous, nineteenth century authorization for the medal that gave commanders a wide latitude in choosing men to receive it. Soldiers could even nominate themselves for the award, and did. Between 1891 and 1897, over 500 medals were awarded for actions in the Civil War, more than three decades earlier. These awards led to the formation of the Medal of Honor Legion, and organization of recipients concerned that wholesale bestowal of the award was weakening the medal's prestige.

In part due to the efforts of the Medal of Honor Legion, President Wilson in 1916 signed a law that clarified the procedures and standards of proof for awarding the Medal of Honor. To receive the medal, one must demonstrate distinguished gallantry or intrepity, at the risk of life, above and beyond the call of duty. The 1916 law also provided for a board of retired generals to review each of the 2,625 Army medals awarded for conduct during campaigns against Indian tribes between 1861 and 198, including Wounded Knee. As a result of this review, 911 medals were rescinded, all because the recipients were judged not to have distinguished themselves in combat and at the risk of their lives.

In 1990, in an unprecedented action the 101st Congress passed Senate COncurrent Resolution 153, which apologized to the Sioux people for the Wounded Knee massacre and expressed support for the establishment of a "suitable and appropriate memorial to those who were tragically slain at Wounded Knee." Since then, descendents of the Wounded Knee victims and survivors, the Oglala Sioux and Cheyenne River Sioux tribal governments, the State of South Dakota, Members of Congress and the U.S. Department of the Interior have considered a number of proposals, including a National Tribal Park, as an appropriate memorial.

While a consensus on a Wounded Knee memorial proposal remains elusive, efforts to achieve such a consensus are continuing. I support these efforts in the belief that establishing a well-conceived memorial to the victims of Wounded Knee is much preferable to attempting to strip long-dead soldiers of a medal which they might not merit under today's standards.

Sincerely,

John McCain - Chairman
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    shilowar wrote:

This is what Dictators do. Rewrite / revise and destroy History. Guess many are getting ready to get on the Democratic Plantation. They must like the feel of the power.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shilowar wrote:
    I would have to agree with this. let bygones be be bygones, can't second guess everything that has ever been done, can't revise all of history whenever the current political climate changes.

and jeez don't they have something better to do?

disclaimer: I don't like what happened and I really don't see how they got Medals of Honor for it.
  • 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say let sleeping dogs lie. We all know it was a dark day in our history. "Abuse of Power" Ranks right up there with Ruby Ridge and Waco.
    edited November -1
    this hoopla sure validates George Orwell's book 1984....
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell's Bells!!! I say 'we' review ALL the MOH awards and rescind as many as 'we' can!!! I personally would like to see Dugout Douglas MacArthur's MOH rescinded.
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The Medal of Honor is the United States of America's highest and most prestigious personal military decoration that may be awarded to recognize U.S. military service members who have distinguished themselves by acts of valor.[4] The medal is normally awarded by the President of the United States in the name of the U.S. Congress...."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_of_Honor

To have awarded the medals (for bravery) to soldiers serving their country, at a very different time and place (1890), then, people, not alive at that time, to consider rescinding the medals is the utmost in Despicable!

Second guessing and changing history on a snow-flakery whim is not allowed!

However, I'm certain...130 years from now...after the muslims have taken over the USA, they too, will rewrite the history books. :shock:
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Change History and get rid of the jerks trying to do it.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shilowar wrote:
    I would have to agree with this. let bygones be be bygones, can't second guess everything that has ever been done, can't revise all of history whenever the current political climate changes.

and jeez don't they have something better to do?

disclaimer: I don't like what happened and I really don't see how they got Medals of Honor for it.
    Saves me from writing a full response.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • AlpineAlpine Member Posts: 15,041 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not deal with a current problem, we certainly have one or two.

Or we ca go down a road that was written before any of us were born. And that road has no end.
    ?The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money.?
    Margaret Thatcher

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
    Mark Twain
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gruntled2 wrote:

Yea but the 20 from wounded knee met their criteria........................in 1917

Different times, different attitudes.

We also stole their land, killed their buffalo and starved them, then we disarmed and dehumanized them and put them on reservations hoping they would die.

The "Massacre" was done by the 7th Cavalry, they killed around 300 Sioux, they suffered about 80 casualties so it wasn't a massacre like Mia Lay. You have to remember the Sioux were members of an affiliate tribe that "Massacred" Custer and Little Bighorn, In fact the Chiefs were related. The Sioux had left the reservation, were armed and trying to link up with another tribe. They were also practicing a religion called the ghost dance. The Ghost Dance was a type of religion that would make the white man leave.

What I am leading up to is the soldiers, like soldiers everywhere were scared, mad and hated their enemy who had been dehumanized in their eyes and when a shot was fired it was on like donkey kong.

As far as "Taking Back" the CMH from those guys just because they were there and followed their orders against a potentially hostile force...............

I am indifferent about it. I have seen plenty of people get awards for doing jack chit and others who did heroic deeds get nothing.

Let sleeping dogs lie. Superman is the only guy who can right all wrongs and as far as I am concerned the US Congress has bigger fish to fry than this. That is one of the problems in this country right now, people keep digging up all the the bad stuff we did as a nation and not celebrating all the good things.

What we did to the Indians was bad and there is nothing we can do today to make it right.
    RLTW

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Quick&Dead wrote:

while I would agree with you, I also disagree, it is the same track to these modern day liberals who want to appologize to the masses for anything that may have happened god knows how many years ago. and make everyone feel good. gotta wonder how many of the MOH winners kids may have went to west point or got some kind of benefit from their dads medal either directly or inderectly, maybe better job, promotion ect, maybe what they did was wrong to you and me but at the time it was the right thing to do, gotta remember it was a different world that WE DID NOT LIVE IN, and it is easy now to look back and say they did wrong but at the time it seemed right.

with the likes of Obammy and that crazy AOC taking over the political scene it won't be long till they try to take away medals from WWII or maybe even try to remove the Arizona for leaking oil into the ocean. I wouldn't put anything past this bunch who are running the country today.....I would agree with you that I think today they give out to many medals for basically being there, one example was Jessica Lynch, she lived just a few miles from us, and while I think she did go through a very rough time, it was basically because she got lost from the convoy and got capture, I don't think she ever fired a round back, and yes she was then beaten and tortured but with the exception of living through the ordeal she wasn't any type of hero, or did anything heroic to save lives of the others involved yet she got medal for such.
    edited November -1
    when the muslims are given AMERICA......guess who will be massacred... ALL the infidels ......
  • bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not going to get "wordy" here except to say that I agree with Ken 100%
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ken you are mostly the lone ranger here with agreement from a few. I see nothing that would be redressed by the move. No one killed would live again, No wrong would actually be righted, we would only change the writing on 100 year old paper. Today no one remembers the names of those who were awarded medals for murder, but the names of most of the victims are remembered.

Chief Big Foot and his wife, Horned Cloud and his wife, William Horned Cloud, Sherman Horned Cloud, Pretty Enemy, Mrs. Beard, Thomas Beard, Shedding Bear, Trouble In Front, Last Running, Red White Cow, Mother-in-law of Shedding Bear, High Hawk and his wife, Little Boy, Little Girl, Whirl Wind Hawk and his wife, Young Lady, Young Girl, Little Girl, Little Boy, Little Boy, He Crow, Pretty Woman, Buckskin Breech Clout, Runnning in Lodge, White Feather, Little Boy, Bear Woman, Crazy Bear, Elk Creek and his wife, Spotted Chief, Red Fish and his wife, Old Good Bear, Young Good Bear and his wife, Little Boy, Pretty Hawk and his wife, Baby Pretty Hawk, Mrs. Lap, Shoots the Right, Bad Wound, Bear Parts Body, Little Boy, Brown Beaver, White Beaver Woman, Black Coyote, Red Water Woman, Sun In The Pupil and his wife, Henry Three, or Pretty Bold Eagle, Iron Eyes and his wife, Has a Dog, Red Shirt Girl, Pretty Woman, Albert Iron Eyes, White Day, Little Boy, Charge at Them, Woman, Mrs. Iron American, Mrs. Yellow Buffalo Calf, Louis Close to Home, Cast Away and Run, Bad Braves, Red Horn, Winter, Strong Fox and his wife, Little Boy, One Feather, Little Boy, Without Robe, Old Man Yellow Bull and his wife, Brown Woman, Shakes the Bird, Red Ears Horse, Shoots with Hawk Feather and his mother, Ghost Horse, Little Boy, Chief Woman, Mrs. Trouble in Love, Hat, Baby boy, Mrs. Stone Hammer, Little baby, Wolf Eagle, Good Boy, Edward Wolf Ears, Little Girl, Shoots the Bear, Kills Assiniboine, George Shoots the Bear and his wife, Kills Crow Indian, Little Body Bear and his wife, Little Boy, Baby girl, Red Eagle, Eagle Body, Little Girl, Little Elk and his wife, Black Shield?s daughter, White Wolf, Red Ears Horse's sister, and their mother, Wood Shade and his wife, Running Stand Hairs and his wife, Young lady, Scabbard Knife and his wife, He Eagle and his wife, Edward He Eagle, Young girl, Young boy, Log and his wife, Really Woman, Brown Hoops, Little boy, Young girl, Mule?s daughter, Red Other Woman, Black Flutes, Takes away the Bow, Gray in Eye, Mrs. Drops Blood, Young boy, Little boy, Old Woman, Mrs. Long Bull, Young girl, Spotted Thunder, Swift Bird and his wife, Boy, Boy, Strike Scatter, Boy, Wolf Skin Necklace, Last Talking, She is alone, Not go in Among, Wounded Hand, Comes Out Rattling, Big Voice Thunder, Mercy to Others, Long Medicine, Broken Arrow and his wife, Young Man, Young Woman, Brown Turtle, Old Woman, Bird Wings, Not Afraid of Lodge, Bear Comes and Lies, Wears Calf?s Robe, Yellow Robe, Wounded in Winter, Mrs. Black Hair, Bad Spotted Eagle and his wife, White American, Long Bull, Courage Bear and his wife, Fat Courage Bear, George Courage Bear, Black Hawk, She Bear, Weasel Bear.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad always had a few short one-line words of wisdom and this one hits this issue square on the head:

"Hindsight is always 20-20".

We can all look back at things we have done and with the knowledge of what transpired, would like to make different choices. Like has been said, we should remember our history (both good and bad) to learn from it, but look forward to the future.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The white man murdered his way across this country, taking whatever he wanted, giving nothing back but the death and destruction of a once thriving
    nation of people just trying to live in "THEIR" world, lying to anyone that had ears and NEVER keeping one single promise to those he sought to displace.

Awarding our nations highest honor to a band of murderers is shameful and should be corrected. Come on folks, we are not those people ........ the ones that kill anything that doesn't look like us. I would think that after a hundred some odd years that we have grown intelligent enough and educated enough to see what a travesty awarding those medals for that act of abomination truly is.

We certainly can't bring back the dead but we could gain some "Honor" back for the Medal of Honor and show that we as a people don't glorify ourselves
    for horrible acts of our past.

I'm sure that all of us here would do all we could to see a previously unacknowledged hero awarded the Medal of Honor no matter how many years have passed since his act of heroism ............. why then the hesitation to rescind the same medal from those who didn't honorably earn it.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"