In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

this is kind of cool

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
I have never seen one of these before, its a Staggs O/U combo gun in 20ga and 30 wcf.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/819131937

Anybody have one of these?
RLTW

Comments

• Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A bit of a different design but Savage mfg many combinations of shotgun barrel/rifle barrel.

The Savage Model 24 was actually introduced by Stevens Arms as the Model 22-410 in 1938.[notes 1] During World War II the United States Army Air Corps purchased some 15,000 Model 22-410s for use as survival guns.[1]

In 1950, Stevens stopped making the 22-410, and Savage introduced the same gun as the Model 24.[1][2] The basic .22LR over .410 gauge model weighs 7 pounds, has 24-inch barrels and an overall length of 41-inches. It may also be disassembled for ease of stowage. Over its many years of production, it was made in a number of versions, including a pistol grip model that is only 26 inches long.[3] The upper rifle barrels were chambered not only in .22 LR, but also 22 WMR, .22 Hornet, .222 Rem, .223 Rem, .30-30 Win, .357 Magnum, and .357 Max.[4] And, the lower shotgun barrels were chambered for .410 gauge, 20-gauge, and 12-gauge.[4] They came with both wood and plastic stocks that may or may not hold extra ammunition in the butt.[4] As well as, a variety of finishes and grades.[5] The Model 24 was discontinued in 2010.

Design
    The Stevens and early Savages models have one trigger and an exposed hammer, with a barrel selector on the right side of the receiver (up for the rifle barrel and down for the shotgun barrel) and no manual safety. Later models had the selector on the top of the exposed hammer (forward/down for shotgun barrel and back/up for the rifle barrel) with a cross-bolt hammer-block safety through the receiver.[5][6]
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen lots of Savage's but this has double triggers.

Very different than most combo guns I have seen.
    RLTW

• drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's ugly.
    Then again, I'm not much a fan of the Savages either.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I own a beautiful Savage 24V in .30-.30 over .20 ga.

Added a Simmons Pro Series 4X, Diamond Reticle, Shotgun scope. (Same scope I have on my Ruger .44mag Carbine.)

(Select-Fire was most generous in supplying a link to the auction.) :)

That gun is Fugly. :o :shock:

(Edited to reflect correct barrel configuration.)
    edited November -1
    It is fugly but like I said I have never seen one.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with one.
    RLTW

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always wanted to make a 22lr over .410 like the Savage 24 (which I have a few of both types of selectors) that utilizes an automatic selector. Perhaps have it in a way where you could select which barrel to fire first, but the other is automatically next. With the 24's that I have, I used to use them a lot for rabbits. I'd carry it around with it on the shotgun barrel in case of a runner. But, if I saw one before it bolted, I'd swap to the .22. However, on the odd time I missed and they bolted, they would be nearly out of range before I could change the selector and then re-cock it.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
    edited November -1
    I have always wanted to make a 22lr over .410 like the Savage 24 (which I have a few of both types of selectors) that utilizes an automatic selector. Perhaps have it in a way where you could select which barrel to fire first, but the other is automatically next. With the 24's that I have, I used to use them a lot for rabbits. I'd carry it around with it on the shotgun barrel in case of a runner. But, if I saw one before it bolted, I'd swap to the .22. However, on the odd time I missed and they bolted, they would be nearly out of range before I could change the selector and then re-cock it.

+1

The double triggers are what made me really look at it. I find the Savage 24 a great gun but I have the same problem as you with selecting the barrel.

I did some research and these are kind of rare. I think this in 22lr/20 would be a hoot and a great rig on rabbits and squirrel.

In 30wcf and 20ga this would be good medicen for med sized game in close cover.
    RLTW

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a beautiful Savage 24V in .30-30 over .20 ga.

Added a Simmons Pro Series 4X, Diamond Reticle, Shotgun scope. (Same scope I have on my Ruger .44mag Carbine.)

(Select-Fire was most generous in supplying a link to the auction.) :)

That gun is Fugly. :o :shock:

(Edited to refllect correct barrel configuration.)