In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Do you put your AR on safe when doing a mag change?

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No. But then again, I don't have an AR so I couldn't. Pistols are the only thing I practice any type of speed loading for. On those, I don't if I am shooting, reloading, shooting again. The gun never leaves my hand and stays pointing down range. If I am simply just reloading at the end and will set it down to check targets, etc. Then, I will.

If this article is about officer training, I can certainly understand the logic. But, for me and how I would ever need speed reloads in real life, I have no worries about it.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, but it depends

and thats not the way he was trained.
    RLTW

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the firearm is going out of action yes, if I am going to continue firing no. Why would I train to do something I do not want to be doing in a firefight, a speed load is a speed load for a reason.
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5vludfR.gif
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SCOUT5 wrote:
    If the firearm is going out of action yes, if I am going to continue firing no. Why would I train to do something I do not want to be doing in a firefight, a speed load is a speed load for a reason.

+30
    We were taught at a very young age...EVERY gun is loaded and ready to kill someone.
    It was our training that made sure any gun was pointed in safe direction, not that the gun was "on safe".

Ask that guy if I should put the gun on safety between acquisition of a target???

Interesting idea.......
    In the movie "The Shootist" with John Wayne, He explains how he "bests" faster quick draw gunfighters, because "most men hesitate just for a second", before they will shoot someone.
    Maybe they had a safety on their SA Colt .45's. :shock:
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guy sounds like a real douchebag.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He is cranked up on something. He should worry about his own safety not mine. Buy the way.. when the gun is shot dry.. there is no rd in the chamber. Change the mag, THEN charge the weapon with the muzzle in a safe direction.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    35 Whelen wrote:
    5vludfR.gif

Exactly!!

(Beat me to it.)
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to respectfully disagree with some of what he said even though I have no experience. IF I were in a fire fight I would not think I would be worrying about putting the gun on safe every time I changed a mag.

Also he said your Glock wouldn't be swinging around your neck or over your shoulder but neither would my Ar I was exchanging mags in either, if the theory is you could drop it I could also do the same with the Glock.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I probably should use the safety since I like to twirl my guns in the air as I speed load but I don't. I think it looks cool no matter if other people are ducking for cover.
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1

No way. Once the mag is empty, the bolt is locked back.

Release the empty mag so it drops out and slam in a fresh, full mag.

Tap the bolt release and a live round is in the chamber ready to fire.

NEVER had an issue doing this ... of course, have ONLY fired COLT AR16's and AR 15's.

:D
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SCOUT5 wrote:

+1
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SCOUT5 wrote:

There you have it!!! plus a hundo
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:

No way. Once the mag is empty, the bolt is locked back.

Release the empty mag so it drops out and slam in a fresh, full mag.

Tap the bolt release and a live round is in the chamber ready to fire.

NEVER had an issue doing this ... of course, have ONLY fired COLT AR16's and AR 15's.

:D
    I think you missed a good portion of the post.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So his point is- in a multi man/team shooting event you should be doing this for when you are moving to cover for a reload presumably then putting another good guy between your rifle and down range.

While he is probably correct- this isn't a real likely scenario for me. Im not in the military or law enforcement therefore its real unlikely me and a few buddies will be pinned down in a gunfight while we are running multiple AR?s and making multiple mag changes and position movements.

Is what he is advocating probably the best practice- I suppose so. Is any scenario he describes applicable to me- probably not.

I also don?t have a shirt that says ?University of Badassery? like he does- so Im probably a rookie as he says.
  • llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bah. Y'all are a bunch of armatures - you need to *reload*? Hah... us ultra cool tacticool low speed high drag special types have guns that don't go empty
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heck no!

I am so slick with my mag changes the I actually gain a round in my RPM (rounds per minute) and the bolt does not lock back because it never recognizes a "empty mag" situation.

The next lier does not stand a chance.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"