In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

9MM Revolver

RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in Ask the Experts
Why can't a revolver be chambered in 9MM without the clips?

Comments

• TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No rim for extraction.
  • JohnERebJohnEReb Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why can't a revolver be chambered in 9MM without the clips?

They can be made, though it requires a unique extracting system. S&W offered the 547 years ago and Charter Arms now offers the 9mm Pitbull.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One solution was to take the standard 9mm cartridge case and add a rim to it...

9mm Federal or 9mm rimmed was the result - designed on spec for the Japanese police force and other Japanese agencies whose agents are armed...

I have seen a ruger GP100 chambered in 9mm Luger - that's the one that always comes to mind when the topic gets raised...

Mike
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would love a Performance Center 627 in 9mm just to run now and then.

But being a lefty, speed and wheel gun dont really go together.

I?ll get one some day just to shoot my ?reject? reloads. :D
  • Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

I own a S&W 547 ( safe queen ) these have become somewhat a collectors item ?

Always thought I wanted the Charter version ? But never talked myself into one ???

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love the 9mm revolver have 6 of them including a 547 I carry the Ruger LCR and Smith 986 snubby alot for my carry guns
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Korth and Manurhin have trick extractor 9mm cylinders. Too bad the extra cylinder costs about as much as a whole American revolver.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems to me a spring loaded extractor for each hole with all working off the center shaft would work fine.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The spring loaded extractor does work fine- until it slips out of the groove and doesn't work.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Warbirds wrote:
    I would love a Performance Center 627 in 9mm just to run now and then.

But being a lefty, speed and wheel gun dont really go together.

I?ll get one some day just to shoot my ?reject? reloads. :D

I found that being left handed was an advantage while shooting a revolver back when I shot PPC. I could hit the cylinder latch with my left thumb while pushing the cylinder open with my right thumb. That right thumb would then 'capture' the revolver. Using my right hand, I then rotated the revolver to eject the spent cartridges while grabbing a speed loader with my left hand. Rotating the revolver one more time, I reloaded and closed the cylinder (as one smooth movement) with the left hand, re-acquired my grip and went back to shooting.

Perfect practice makes perfect! (and that took some practice)

Edit: And using Moon Clips with a revolver is almost cheating when it comes to speed loading
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have been made, I have a Speed Six in 9mm, no clips needed.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that Ruger DESIGNED a no-clip 9mm extractor.
    I did not know that any had been sold.

The legend at the time was that the no-clip extractor worked with US ammunition but would not pull European empties so they went to clips.
This discussion has been closed.