In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ahyone here like

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
Korean Food???

I love it! I like it better than Indian food which I really like.

I am going to town today to see my Broker and it just so happens there is a Korean Market close by who has a small restaurant with the best Korean food I have had outside of Korea.

The kimchi is awesome! I cannot make it as good and their BBQ kicks butt. I will get a togo plate and eat again for dinner. My wife will not touch it so I guess she gets a microwave pizza :lol:
RLTW

Comments

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    I really like kimchi but it has to be very mild. Can't do the hot stuff.

Also love bulgogi
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the people in the company I work for are from India (Vadodra area mostly) and I have had some very interesting meals when they come to visit. Like said above, I don't do much spicy food after I had stomach surgery ~10+ years ago so they have to tone it down. I think most people love Chinese food, at least our Americanized version of it. I found I love Thai food, particularly the peanut oil products. I have started cooking with it some at home (on the rare occasions I am not eating from a box).
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Yes. In fact, there is a Korean restaurant in the little hick town near me. Korean lady, Married to a retired military officer, opened it about 10 years ago. They live near the college town about 15 miles away. She hosts many Korean college students and she?s a hoot to be around.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no thank you, but you are more than welcome to any and all of my share.........
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hillbille wrote:
    no thank you, but you are more than welcome to any and all of my share.........

I ate it dude!

Man it was good.
    RLTW

• kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We love it, too, Sam! Big time!

We went shopping yesterday at a really nice Korean market, H Mart, which has some food shops and seating for anyone wanting to eat-in. We're thinking about going to a favorite Korean restaurant nearby there where you cook your own food at the booth's table top.
    What's next?
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,278 ******
    edited November -1
    Wish there was a Korean place near me! Living in the northern Michigan sticks makes international cuisine a rarity of extinction-al proportions. I do drive a KIA and have attended a few county picnics where many Amish farmers bring pot luck to the tables! :D

Those Amish women do make a dandy potato salad and their fried chicken would make a certain Coronel turn over in his grave! :lol:
    edited November -1
    This place is a Korean Market too. I got some goodies after I fed my face :D

I brought home some leftovers and big jar of kimchee for my wife(She cannot stand it so I guess I will have to eat it).
    RLTW

• ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...but she can't say ya didn't bring her anything!
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
    edited November -1
    ...but she can't say ya didn't bring her anything!

Frickin A dude!

Remember its the thought that counts sucker :lol:
    RLTW

• drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love kimchi. It was available 3 out of 4 meals on base in Iraq. None to be had on base in Africa.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a very authentic Thai place, somewhat outside Mountain City.

(Monsoons.) Owner Praey Uhn, does a fantastic job. Grows her own peppers out back. If she knows you, and that you can handle it when you say, "make it spicy." It rocks. Get some "Dragon Sauce," out of the crock on the counter. :o :shock: :?

Chicken Basil/Vegetable, Thai shrimp with Vegetables, etc etc.

OMG God, my mouth is watering. It has been a while since I've been there.

If anyone is near Richmond, I Highly recommend Elephant Thai. Freakin' Awesome!! Killer food.

You guys are killing me.
  • ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...with ya on that one Sam!
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Kim Chee, but there are 0 Korean restaurants here, so no real experience (as if a US Korean restaurant is much like one in Seoul). I do like Viet Namese, Thai, and Indian, and Chinese if my fav (though not so much silk moth larvae, tumors, or rooster combs. I would probably like some, and maybe not everything, just like other cuisines.
    edited June 2019
    drobs wrote:
    Love kimchi. It was available 3 out of 4 meals on base in Iraq. None to be had on base in Africa.
    +1

You have pilli pilli where you are at or maybe scumawiki?

Where in Africa are ya???
    RLTW

• Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Once stayed at a motel in D.C.

There was a restaurant attached in the lower level.

Didn't realize it until I was in and seated ... all Korean food and run by Koreans.

The dish titles ment nothing to me so asked for something that wasn't to spicy or hot.

Server made suggestion ... rice dish with an egg on it and some sort of meat.

I took two bites ..... washed my mouth out with two glasses of water and left.

Walked outside, looked down the street as hadn't eaten for 6 or 7 hours of travel.

Saw the "Golden Arches" about 4 blocks away.

Jumped in my car and drove over, had a couple of burgers, fries and a diet coke, LARGE ... hoping to kill the taste in my mouth and get some nourishment.

I'd eat dirt before Korean food. :D

Spent a year in Thailand .... tried their food a time or two and that was more than enough! :cry:
    No fan of chinese or mexican food either. foreign food can stay in their countries.

I prefer good old AMERICAN FOOD ... give me a chunk of dead cow, rare to medium rare on the grill, a couple of spuds covered in butter, some Texas toast. A little salt and pepper and good to go!
    :D
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
    edited November -1
    My wife brought me home some sushi from Harris Teeter.

Man is it good. They have a sushi chief that is out of bounds there.

She was not mad at me//////////////////She has lived with me for 25 years and knows I am an *............I love her too.
    RLTW

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This dude does travels around eating at Korean joints. I forget if dude did Michigan Brookwood. I do remember he was in a snowy place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYhpk0v25QA&list=PLUeEVLHfB5-SCR7Up00aaIjxM03sjkH21&index=63
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I eat K food all the time, bulgogi, be bim pop, sa'dong pop and noodles, lettuce wrap, buckwheat pancakes loaded with onions, mandu, and especially shindae (soondae), list goes on.

What makes K food so good: Garlic (maneul), Onions (Yongpile), and Ground Red Pepper (Gortoo).
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    drobs wrote:
    +1

You have pilli pilli where you are at or maybe scumawiki?

Where in Africa are ya???

Camp Lemonnier in Djibouti. Home of the award winning Taco Tuesday.
    I'm home for good now.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,278 ******
    edited November -1
    I made a note to self once. It was regarding foreign bathroom habits. There are cultures of people on this planet that have some very disturbing potty practices. Disturbing to my western learning.

I tend to shy away from those same cultural cuisine's! No poke at any Asian\Korean foods. Just reminding myself about a note I made many moons ago.
    edited November -1
    Brookwood wrote:
    I made a note to self once. It was regarding foreign bathroom habits. There are cultures of people on this planet that have some very disturbing potty practices. Disturbing to my western learning.

I tend to shy away from those same cultural cuisine's! No poke at any Asian\Korean foods. Just reminding myself about a note I made many moons ago.

LOL

If I followed that train of thought I would have starved to death years ago, but I get where you are coming from.

As far as "potty pratices" I would rate them from 1 to 10 with 1 being like the US. I have been where all these were used.

1- Flush toilets with toilet paper
    2- Flush toilets that don't work that well
    3- Port a john in AUG at FT Polk LA
    4-Squat hole with paper and water
    5-cat hole you dug in the woods and rest your cheek on your e-tool
    6- Outhouse with a sit down but open dung heap full of flys
    7-Pooper with a cut down 55gal can full of diesel and flys crawling all over your * in 110 degree heat
    8-Squat hole with water only and you ain't got no paper
    9- Squat hole with nothing but the turd the guy before you left where your left foot goes
    10- wherever you feel the urge like on the street or in the grocery isle.
    RLTW

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    Brookwood wrote:

LOL

If I followed that train of thought I would have starved to death years ago, but I get where you are coming from.

As far as "potty pratices" I would rate them from 1 to 10 with 1 being like the US. I have been where all these were used.

1- Flush toilets with toilet paper
    2- Flush toilets that don't work that well
    3- Port a john in AUG at FT Polk LA
    4-Squat hole with paper and water
    5-cat hole you dug in the woods and rest your cheek on your e-tool
    6- Outhouse with a sit down but open dung heap full of flys
    7-Pooper with a cut down 55gal can full of diesel and flys crawling all over your * in 110 degree heat
    8-Squat hole with water only and you ain't got no paper
    9- Squat hole with nothing but the turd the guy before you left where your left foot goes
    10- wherever you feel the urge like on the street or in the grocery isle.

Sound like you spent some time in the DEMOCRAT utopia known as San Francisco or possibly Seattle. :D
    edited November -1
    Don't forget Paris France, Cairo Egypt, anywhere Afghanistan...............and the list goes on
    RLTW

• ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Year ago I had a Korean neighbor who would hang a raw chicken on his clothes line until it was as gray as a shingled house on Cape Cod...
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they must eat a lot of garlic. other asians call them the Garlic Eaters.